Looking Back - Zingali & the Tick System's Removal

Somebody from the Kilties just posted the recap from the VFW Finals in 1970.  I had completely forgotten that back in those days, along with the regular captions of GE, brass, percussion,  and marching & maneuvering (visual) there were also captions for Inspection and Cadence. Yep, the "good ol days"!

Btw, you younger folk might recognize the top corps:         1. TROOPERS

2. BOSTON

3. CAVIES 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, craiga said:

Somebody from the Kilties just posted the recap from the VFW Finals in 1970.  I had completely forgotten that back in those days, along with the regular captions of GE, brass, percussion,  and marching & maneuvering (visual) there were also captions for Inspection and Cadence. Yep, the "good ol days"!

Btw, you younger folk might recognize the top corps:         1. TROOPERS

2. BOSTON

3. CAVIES 

Yep. Inspection was always fun.  <sarcasm off>

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

My brother told me Boston, at non major contests that had inspections, would sometimes have several drummers and horn players switch instruments and positions. 

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, TOC said:

My brother told me Boston, at non major contests that had inspections, would sometimes have several drummers and horn players switch instruments and positions. 

No comment. 

• Haha 3

On 4/11/2024 at 12:37 PM, Kopeck said:

Having marched with Phantom Regiment in 1985, early on learning the drill there was a lot of "get from here to there in xx counts" which made things sloppy at first but over time were worked out. And over the course of the season, everything did become muscle memory. 

Things were more about pathing rather than well-defined subsets, which is why drill transitions are so much cleaner now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

It took every bit of effort I could muster when I was 14 or 15 years old to not just bust out laughing when one of those old timer, probably an ex-Marine DI VFW inspectors would stand right in front of me and stare me up and down. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

It took every bit of effort I could muster when I was 14 or 15 years old to not just bust out laughing when one of those old timer, probably an ex-Marine DI VFW inspectors would stand right in front of me and stare me up and down. 

When I was in high school, I thought and said the same thing, that I would laugh if some "military dude" yelled at me. 

Until I went to boot camp and this Chief who was built like a Winnebago got in my face. 

I did a lot of stuff......laughing wasn't one of them. 

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

It was soooooo stressful and often times you could smell the booze on their breath.  So gross. 

• Haha 2

My corps director got so ###### off at the results of our inspection that he pulled us out of the competition and had the buses take us to another show later that day...It apparently paid more than the first ...The rumor was that the circuit we were a part of thought we had gotten too big for our britches so the only way they could screw us was to do it at inspection(Yankee circuit 1966)...We hadn't lost there in two years at the time and effectively gave away our title...lol..C'est la vie..peace

2 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

When I was in high school, I thought and said the same thing, that I would laugh if some "military dude" yelled at me. 

Until I went to boot camp and this Chief who was built like a Winnebago got in my face. 

I did a lot of stuff......laughing wasn't one of them. 

"Built like a Winnebago"! Adding that to my repertoire 😂