1934foundation.org

1934foundation.org

A few of us have been working on this on and off for over 2 years. The past few months we have been holding Zoom calls with other alumni and have a group of over 130 involved. Take a look at the website.... and help us give scholarships to deserving drum corps performers.

438098172_10227145633840660_432086131040

• Like 3

Question:

"The applicant must have previously marched and will be given precedent and favor until such time as there are no more students previously associated with our corps marching in the activity."

So i'm unclear - are these scholarships specifically aimed at Cadets that lost their home so they can march elsewhere first, and once there are no more former Cadets, open to the marching world at large?  Everything on that website seems to indicate that this scholarship could literally be for anybody who has marched any corps before until this particular sentence.

Double reply:  I am certain that people's hearts are in the right place, but this is not ready for public yet IMO.

Literally no human being is named or listed, board or otherwise.  I would have no idea who I am actually giving money to or who is responsible should issues arise. 

501c3 is claimed with zero information to confirm.  No EIN is given.  No information is given about which state you are operating out of.  With only a name the IRS search option is a pain in the ###, but I can confirm at the moment that the organization does not show up on IRS.gov for tax exempt or charitable status (501c3) if the actual business name is "The 1934 Foundation."  If that is not the formal business name, the formal name needs to be available.  If that IS the business name, either the determination letter is less than 2 months old and isn't input yet, or it hasn't been issued yet.

The language of what you are doing lacks clarity as to exactly who you are and whom you are fundraising for as well.  The name gives an "obvious assumption" to the community in the know at large, but not saying it, along with the lack of corporate transparency makes it all feel a little "off" to me.  Own who we are.  The suit isn't gonna add you for merely mentioning that you happen to be former Cadets looking to sponsor drum corps tuition for marchers.

If the mission is to help displaced modern Cadets find and afford new drum corps homes in the wake of the dissolution of the corps, I am on board for that.  However, I won't donate to any charity that lacks this basic level of transparency.  Full transparency is required. 

Edited by FormerXyloWhiz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

35 minutes ago, FormerXyloWhiz said:

Double reply:  I am certain that people's hearts are in the right place, but this is not ready for public yet IMO.

Literally no human being is named or listed, board or otherwise.  I would have no idea who I am actually giving money to or who is responsible should issues arise. 

501c3 is claimed with zero information to confirm.  No EIN is given.  No information is given about which state you are operating out of.  With only a name the IRS search option is a pain in the ###, but I can confirm at the moment that the organization does not show up on IRS.gov for tax exempt or charitable status (501c3) if the actual business name is "The 1934 Foundation."  If that is not the formal business name, the formal name needs to be available.  If that IS the business name, either the determination letter is less than 2 months old and isn't input yet, or it hasn't been issued yet.

The language of what you are doing lacks clarity as to exactly who you are and whom you are fundraising for as well.  The name gives an "obvious assumption" to the community in the know at large, but not saying it, along with the lack of corporate transparency makes it all feel a little "off" to me.  Own who we are.  The suit isn't gonna add you for merely mentioning that you happen to be former Cadets looking to sponsor drum corps tuition for marchers.

If the mission is to help displaced modern Cadets find and afford new drum corps homes in the wake of the dissolution of the corps, I am on board for that.  However, I won't donate to any charity that lacks this basic level of transparency.  Full transparency is required. 

I couldn't agree more! As an alumni who has always donated, I wouldn't give a dime if any of the last board members are a part of this because of the COMPLETE LACK OF TRANSPARENCY - not a dime. 

2 hours ago, FormerXyloWhiz said:

I’m with you.

Remember the 27th Lancers Foundation? 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, FormerXyloWhiz said:

Has no one learned anything?  Good gosh we have enough examples of questionable fundraising practices.  Something like this foundation should provide as many details about its registration as a charity, its operational function and mission clarity, along with names of all people (130?) associated with it.  If it’s legit, there should be total, thorough visibility.  Good grief.

• Like 1

Ball’s in your court, njthundrrd.  What clarifying information can you provide?