To this day I don't see how people relate DCI shows as marching-bandish.

Edited by TommySopranoContra

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The genius of the Cadets show is how they took past ideas and concepts, merged them with their theme, and tweaked all of it to create a show etc.

Jonathan

You just defined innovation in any medium. T.S. Eliot, probably one of the greatest innovators of the 20th Century, wrote a little treatise called "Tradition and the Individual Talent" that defines innovation almost exactly by what I quoted above. :)

Edited by KingMargeret

After reading most of the post on this thread, All I can say is Love em or not The Cadets get the most press on this site by far this year.

That, Says alot about their show. The Cadets made you feel. Some proud, some curious, some confused and some, well you know...

The Cadets were excellent in all captions to the discuss of some people and to the joy of some others.

I've always love the Blue Devils, but this year I can't stop thinking about the Cadets show.

In my opinion The Cadets went from being the very good Safe crowd pleasing Cadets that always ended up third behind My Devils and or the Cavies, into this excellent different corps you saw in 05.

Innovative? Lets look at this... To introduce or begin something new.

1. The show before the show. -The school girl walking through the stands. Lost in her dream. Never done in drum corps. (I saw it in Vegas watching "O" and other Cirque du Soleil shows.)

2. The pre show- The moving warm up. The Cadets have done this before in 03 and as early as 89 I think. my uncle gave me a bootleg copy. I'll have to find it . I think it was a Les Miz show.

3.The show concept- The Cadets show was based on ( North Shore H.S.?) show no more than Santa Clara's RCM show was bassed on Cardozo H.S. bands 04 RCM show. Cardozo did a great job with RCM.

My friend knows Marc Sylvester personally. I will ask him myself. Now, Who am I going to believe?

4.The Music- Orginal music combined with Bjork. Orginal music is innovative, something designed specifically for the drumcorps idiom. Its innovative when Cavies do it. It's innovative now. ( Bjork is creative and innovative)

5. Drum speak- Tie goes to the winner Bluecoats and Cadets did their own version of this. innovative. Yes!

Oh, and how could I forget. My Devils did a small version of this in 03!(All innovation isn't always popular.)

6. The Ballad- The guard did more equipment releases in that one song than most corps did in their whole show. The ballad was very active, flowing every melody, conter melody and sound effect was interpreted by the guard via equipment work and or movement. I watched it twice before I wrote this.

I just picked this up. The Cadets also played a separate drum feature during the Ballad.

7. The uniforms- A few corps have used lite and dark uniform sides to highlite segments of their show, but, not to this degree. All the way down to their half white half maroon shoes. The Cadets sold that concept. ( In the comming months I'll check to verify this statement.)

8. I think some are getting Creative and Innovative mixed. I think The Cadets as well as other corps are both. Sorry about the spelling.

Edited by Sexyguardcap

You just defined innovation in any medium.  T.S. Eliot, probably one of the greatest innovators of the 20th Century, wrote a little treatise called "Tradition and the Individual Talent" that defines innovation almost exactly by what I quoted above.  :)

Lance, I liked your old avatar better. :P

Can you point to any one aspect of the Cadets show and say "that's innovative"? Maybe, maybe not. But you can certainly point to the way in which they pulled all those aspects together and say that that's new and creative. Yes, I've heard the concept has been used before, but again that's just one aspect of the show. Marc Sylvester took the concept and expanded on it, and the product was a completely different show, a show unlike any other on the field this past summer. Does that mean it was innovative? Honestly I couldn't care less. It was creative and refreshing, and those adjectives are more than enough for me. :)

Finally, the rap, as it was performed in their drum solo, has never been done like that in the history of the activity.  Yes, drummers have been dutting for years, and the amping has been around now for two years, but the way the Cadets used a rap-like inflection and the speaking of the rudiments is certainly a first in the activity...hence innovative.

Do you mean because they just did the drum speak and did not play it afterwards.. I only ask because of what all of BD did in 2003 with the whole corps doing drum Speak and then the Drum line played it..

(I hope we don't get anymore Rapping not really into 50 cent :))

I agree with you on the Uniform. ALthought Other corps have done the Double sides. The Cadets used it in a New way with they In the way they carried the horns and Put their arms to make it look as if it was the front etc.

P.S. Not taking anything away from what Cadets did.. Ok.. Glad they Won Because FROGGY GOT ANOTHER RING!!!

FROGGY!!!!!!

Edited by Bond624

umm in reguards to the drumkspeak and people saying its been done before in shows (ei BD 03) well yes it has been done, but not as technically challenging as the cadets did this past year...

This comes from someone who only saw the Cinecast in 2005, saw and heard DVDs and CDs from 2003 and looks forward to ESPN's broadcast and possible DVDs and CDs from this past season, if only to appreciate more aspects of the Cadets show besides the drumspeak and Kill Bill!

the Cadets drumspeak was done well. the BD 03 drumspeak was new. Other than that, Cadets drumspeak drew a reaction. BD '03 was quick-movement, field coverage, then wham! block chords a spacechord, and runs, not necessarily in that order. The Cadets '05 and BD '03 shows are alike in their level of challenge.

2. The pre show- The moving warm up. The Cadets have done this before in 03 and as early as 89 I think. my uncle gave me a bootleg copy. I'll have to find it . I think it was a Les Miz show.

Yep. in 1989, they definitely started their show BEFORE the announcer said "Is the corps ready?" and then the announcer had to say "Cadets of Bergen County, you may enter the field for competition" which seemed to occur after they were approx 20 seconds into the opener.

It felt like an error in 89 and IMO it felt like an error this year too when I saw the Cadets at the Quarters broadcast. By "error", I mean like something was messed up. I don't mean it felt like a poor artistic choice. It just seemed like they had accidentally started the show and forgot to wait for the announcer.

Can anybody speak to what the goal is there? Are they actually attempting to disorient the crowd, or make the misplaced announcements part of the "art"?

Is there any reason why the announcer has to say anything at all once they start the on field warmup? Is it a DCI rule or requirement? Because I'd be ALL for changing it if it allowed the for the elimination of an unnecessary intrusion by the announcer. (Since they're gonna let them flow from warmup into the competition show anyway... )

Edited by bradrick