Capital Regiment

hmmm ... I'm trying to picture what I wouldve done if I was on the field n some coach tried to pull that s---. Considering the peak physical condition I was in at that point in my life ... multiply that by the 129 other members ... it wouldnt've been pretty, I can tell you that much. Mess w/ me and my corps on the field of honor? I'd have to drag 'em off the field first because I'd be doing something VERY unprofessional.

That story really steams me but I think NIU handled it well.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, I'm glad I wasn't the only one that asked "wtf?" when it was suggested that he was hired at Marion Catholic.

I had a most rewarding comment this past summer during the drill camp week I had for one of the high schools I do Vis instruction for.

Around mid-way through day two I ask the two kids who came to us because they choose band over football (which I'm glad to say is becoming a trend at this school now) how this camp compares to football camp, expecting the usual "phht, football is way harder" response . . .

with the entire band grabbing water and listening for the answer it was stated that "man, football isn't anything compared to this %&*(#$"

Granted, for those of you in the mid-atlantic, this was the week that the daily high was 105 and the lows were 90 so the weather had something to do with it I'm sure.

On a un-related note, it's such a hard line to draw when the weather's that extreme. Especially when they're high school kids and aren't really good at taking care of themselves in the first place.

Toodles

-"GQ"

Roid Ranger...http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/interview6.htm

I wonder what this idiot is up to now... I Googled his name and came up with a much smaller John P that's running for Senator in Minnesota-definitely not the same guy.

I remember this story well...I actually emailed the coach before he was fired and slammed him for his and his team's actions.....I also told him flat out that if that would have happened when I marched with the particular corps I was in, they also would have been taking both him and some of his players off the field.....in stretchers and ambulances.....linebackers may tackle people well, but a 36" bass drum, timpani, cymbals, and gong mallets, when used "properly", amount to "armed vs. unarmed".....some of those players would have suddenly realized that they made a dire mistake when they assumed we were "band geeks"......GB

Some people like to talk about we old timers - no band experience - trained from scratch - coming of the street - yadda yadda yadda. But I can guarantee you that if that had happened to us back then those punks would STILL be in the hospital.

Edited by Piper

I actually managed to email one of the coaches (no response) who was involved....I indicated he was lucky they picked on a div. 2 corps with 15 year olds at the time (no diss on CR)...I told him that if it would have been certain other corps, some of the members of his football team would have been hauled off in ambulances as well.......GB

I can only wonder what would've happened if they had tried to run through BAC while they where on the field.... ^0^ ^0^ ^0^

I can only wonder what would've happened if they had tried to run through BAC while they where on the field.... ^0^ ^0^ ^0^

Heads would have rolled- LITERALLY.

Really? And to where would these supposed heads literally have rolled?