All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. xandandl

DCI Finals Travel Plans

I have found at LOS that above the 100 seating, one never wants to be in the first three rows due to the plexiglass. It is in front of row one as a preventive barrier from falling/jumping. The glass does soften sound; for some, like me with eye problems, the plastic glass distorts the "crispness" of what one is seeing on the field. Usually a seat from row 3 up of any of the 200-700 sections of the stadium puts you above the plexiglass distortions of sight and music. Results may vary for others. My comments are based on my experience with my height challenge and audio factors. A similar experience exists for some of the seating at Mercedes-Benz/Atlanta. Perhaps a Georgian who has been there for more than one drum corps event could give a fuller answer for there. Check with the Texans about San Antonio. Things may have changed since I was last there.
  3. Mello Dude

2019 Phantom Regiment

Again, talent means almost NOTHING. If you are capable of teaching, the sheer amount of rehearsal makes this a #### near moot point. That's if you can teach. Right now I have some SERIOUS questions for Regiment Brass staff. Simple questions like can they even play a #### brass instrument. The lack of dynamic contrast is telling. They simply are not working on the capability to play with more dynamic contrast. Couple that with some REALLY sub par music arrangements...and here we are. I have no idea how one would even write a good visual show with that crap that they played last year. Seriously, if THAT is what you get from New World.....ouch. Someone needs to make some big boy decisions because if they paid for that mess they paid too much IMHO.
  4. MikeD

2019 Phantom Regiment

That is why I said second. 😎 I was at Westchester for the show attached to the HS Leadership camp my daughter was attending, and I still recall one kid yelling "He's moulting" as Icarus "flew" to the corner near the sun, wearing the cloak made of feathers.
  5. Today
  6. George Dixon

The Cadets 2019

Which is why the reset the snares.
  7. theonlyfizzle

2019 Phantom Regiment

I don't think this response was cool. He was just joking and wasn't mocking anyone or any issue.
  8. FlamMan

2019 Madison Scouts!

Exactly. These 2 have a record of failure.
  9. Jake W.

2019 Phantom Regiment

So if we use the examples from 2018 that come within 15 seconds of FOEG, that still leaves Crown, Cadets, & Mandarins. Since Mandarins had a heavily altered ballad, I understand if one would want to cut this as well, but I think the almost four minute ebb & flow focused on one theme rings true. Either way, let's say there were at least 2 corps that presented a ballad as long (Crown) or nearly as long (Cadets) that were easily accepted by fans & judges this year....I still maintain that that demonstrates a piece like FOEG would still fit in just fine nowadays. And that's to say nothing of my other examples of Bloo 2014, Crown 2014, BD 2016, & Academy 2016 that I mentioned as well that all either surpassed, matched, or came within five seconds of FOEG's play time. Again, the comment was "Fire of Eternal Glory would not be given the time today to develop as it did long, long ago." That's demonstrably not true. At the bare minimum, 2 corps did just that this year alone. My secondary point is this: while music books are much more complex than the 90s, most corps have largely moved on from the chop n bop experimentation of the early parts of this decade, although it's still fresh in everyone's minds. Phantom's music arrangers still seem to think it's both current and what the judges are looking for.
  10. Jeff Ream

Allentown 2019

didn't get mine yet
  11. Jeff Ream

The Cadets 2019

in terms of difficulty I think 15 as far more difficult
  12. Jeff Ream

2019 Phantom Regiment

if you tell me you liked 2002 more than this, I can honestly never speak to you nicely again
  13. Jeff Ream

2019 Phantom Regiment

decades. it's been this way for along time
  14. queenanne_1536

2019 Phantom Regiment

For me, I see a huge design drop from 2013 to 2014. Yes, '13, '14, '15 and '16 were leaps and bounds better than 2019. I don't see Regiment as a 7th place corps, I see them as a corps that will be fighting to make top 12. No one will ever be able to try and convince me Regiment wasn't massively more talented than Mandarins last year. That's what a great design vs a subpar design can do. It's the same reason why Regiment lost to Vanguard, Bluecoats, Boston and Blue Stars in 2009. A more talented corps finished lower than 4 less talented corps due to design alone.
  15. kdaddy

2019 Phantom Regiment

I would agree that Phantom Regiment is a 7th-ish place corps. And in 2019, I would kill for 7th place! They clearly aren't demonstrating they can do that. I bemoaned the design direction the corps was taking from 2013-2015, but after listening to those shows in the last few days, they are BRILLIANT compared to 2016-2018. Good source music, solid arranging, and solid visuals. The trend in placement is just an indicator of bad design decisions all around. And pretty soon, I'll be saying "remember how solid the drill was in 2016 and how good the guard was in 2017, back when the corps was in the top 12?" Many of us have said for years that the students are outperforming what they're given. That's not commentary on design vs performance scores, but just generally that the students pull out all the stops and let their talent shine through. But soon enough (or perhaps already), that won't be the case. You finish in 9th and 11th in back-to-back years, and 2008 (or 2013, the last top six finish) is a distant memory. There could soon be a combination of "bad design" and "designing down to the talent level"...
  16. jthomas666

2019 Phantom Regiment

Well, you sort of did--most of your examples were notably shorter than FOEG...but that's perhaps being too picky. Perhaps a better point to make on the subject would be to note that you were able to one example in several different shows--whereas 93 FOEG was just one of multiple works in the same show that were allowed to fully develop--hell, they played "Death Hunt" in its entirety (again, Get. Off. My. Lawn.). Crown's Finis is an outlier of sorts--it's something of a gimmick (let's see how many songs we can cram in), but Crown's arrangement makes it work. That seems to be Crown's superpower--to take goofy ideas and somehow make them work (Rach Star may be their...uh...crowning achievement in that regard).
  17. 2000Cadet

The Cadets 2019

And personally, I don't even think the drill was that hard. But it was absolutely genius.
  18. Jurassic Lancer

The Cadets 2019

Certainly one of the cleverest. This was Sacktig’s magnum opus ... so far.
  19. Ghost

The Cadets 2019

Might go down as one of the hardest drills to write evar.
  20. So, I am in the process of moving, and realized I didn't see my Allentown tickets where I normally put them. Being and old fogey, I also can't remember if they have even been mailed yet this year. I know they usually arrive by April at the latest. Has anyone received theirs yet this year, or am I panicking over nothing?
  21. oldsoprano

Spirit of Atlanta 2019

If they still have them and they could be used in a creative way, it would certainly be fiscally responsible to do so, I would say.
  22. DCIat14

DCI Finals Travel Plans

What plexiglass? Gotta know for future purchases 🙂
  23. MikeD

2019 Phantom Regiment

Finis is my second least favorite Crown show of this century.
  24. Yesterday
  25. 2000Cadet

The Cadets 2019

Yeah Jeff Sacktig talked about how devastating it was to lose that snare drummer and how it meant rewriting the snares' drill.
  26. Terri Schehr

DCI Finals Travel Plans

I sat behind a plexiglass thing in Foxboro in 2005. It was awful.
  27. mjoakes

DCI Finals Travel Plans

I spoke with them on Monday and settled on seats. Moving to 100 level this year for the sound. Really like the 200 level, I’m still peasant enough to warrant that glass barrier cutting my view in half.
  1. Load more activity