No Detailed Recaps

lol.

BOO 9000: "This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it."

But for the demise of a certain Corps out of Bloomington, Indiana, you'd be saying:

"My God...It's full of stars!!!"

• Like 1

Sorry if this has already been mentioned but I think this could provide a good opportunity for crowdsourcing our own recaps.

We could have a team meet at every show and maybe we could provide our own recaps in the "shows and events" part of DCP, similar to what happens now, except someone would be there to tally and formalize the results.

Agreeing on a standard would be tough, but maybe there doesn't need to be one.

Edited by Barifonium

Sorry if this has already been mentioned but I think this could provide a good opportunity for crowdsourcing our own recaps.

We could have a team meet at every show and maybe we could provide our own recaps in the "shows and events" part of DCP, similar to what happens now, except someone would be there to tally and formalize the results.

Agreeing on a standard would be tough, but maybe there doesn't need to be one.

I'm not so sure this would work long term, but that said, I do like your inventive use of the word... " crowdsourcing ". I'd give it a 7.25 out of the allotted maximum General Effect 10.00.... as its still early in the DCP word season here.

Edited by BRASSO

It will be interesting to read the DCP threads about corps without really knowing caption strengths. I've always felt many here review the recaps and then critique why corps X is leading or corps Y is faltering. I thought Crown 14 was amazing when I saw and heard them and I think many here agreed until recaps started to be analyzed. Then the tune changed, well the visual and overall design is very flawed. I never really saw that.

I think anytime you can take a step towards the judges evaluating the show of the night is a step in the correct direction. This is a very grey area evaluated activity. There is lots of room for human perception to skew the numbers (an 8.5 out of 10 is different to everyone, and different from every corner of the field or seat in the stands). So I don't think this is a bad idea. Does it mean judges talk to each other? Maybe. Do we think one Analysis judge will call one from the previous show and ask "what happened there, what did you see..." I don't think it'll get to that degree.

But i think it works two fold. One, it makes each judge operate independently from the previous judge of that performance. It separates performances from each other. And it gives the performers more weight onto the show of the night, as opposed to the show as it progresses. Meaning instead of judging what it could be or what it was, they now have to worry about what it is.

I don't get the controversy on this at all. We will still get the caption numbers and the corps will still get the details. This matters why exactly?

• Like 2

We will still get the caption numbers

I don't see putting stock into caption numbers without the sub details. Just my personal experience.

• Like 1

I don't get the controversy on this at all. We will still get the caption numbers and the corps will still get the details. This matters why exactly?

Some of us like the granularity of the recaps is all, George. It's not a mystery. If you never did pour over the sub-captions that's OK, too. But some did. I did.

Just like sports fans pour over stats. That's all.

If the placements, scores fall into the same ultimate pecking order as they usually do most seasons, then I fail to see how the looss of detailed recaps info.... freely available to the fanbase for decades, but now lost until after the season is over..... can be viewed as progress.

On the other hand, if judges do not talk to one another during the season, and they really will not have access to previous recaps scores, and this leads to more volatility, placement shifts from nite to nite throughout the DCI placement order and.... " on any given Sunday, " begins to legitimately take hold, then this loss of recaps could have a tradeoff value for fans that might be worth trading for.

But.... I'm not holding my breath that this summer we'll see the latter here take place here, instead of the former. But I'm willing to see how this withdrawal of published recaps works now in the real world of DCI judging. I'll take a wait and see attitude to see if the intended outcome that was the impetus for this measure's adoption actually takes place this summer.

Edited by BRASSO