Where is DCI?

All in the name of change, DCI is no longer enjoyable to watch or even listen to (not even for free on YouTube). I pray someone figures it out real quickly before the entire activity goes down the tube. If I wanted BOA, I can just wait until band season. Enough will all of the crap talking, singing, 3 value horns, strings, trombones and various other electronics/ musical instruments that was reserved for marching bands. The judging community could use a major facelift too.

• Like 4

All in the name of change, DCI is no longer enjoyable to watch or even listen to (not even for free on YouTube). I pray someone figures it out real quickly before the entire activity goes down the tube. If I wanted BOA, I can just wait until band season. Enough will all of the crap talking, singing, 3 value horns, strings, trombones and various other electronics/ musical instruments that was reserved for marching bands. The judging community could use a major facelift too.

Many do share your opinion. I am not one of them. I still find plenty of enjoyment in today's DCI. More importantly, the number of students auditioning for these corps (often in record numbers) seem to enjoy it. Different day, different generation, different needs. Am I wild about everything? no. But that was the case even in the late 70s or 80s for me.

• Like 7

Many do share your opinion. I am not one of them. I still find plenty of enjoyment in today's DCI. More importantly, the number of students auditioning for these corps (often in record numbers) seem to enjoy it. Different day, different generation, different needs. Am I wild about everything? no. But that was the case even in the late 70s or 80s for me.

That may be due to the fact there are less corps...............

• Like 4

A few weekends ago an older guy was behind me ata show and I kept hearing all his remarks such as..., why is there trombones? What's with the opera singer... So at intermission I chatted more with him and he was definitely old school drum Corp. I tried to explain it that everything evolve. Just as car technology has evolved and cell phones. So has Drum Corps. Yes times have changed, the old school drum corps from years past is slowly fading into a more WGI drum Corp production. Bluecoats are the best example of this.

Thou last night in Dekalb the added in speaker sounds was almost over powering at times. When I was watching the Bluecoats at one of the impact moments I was thinking in my head what it would sound like if those speakers were turned off and I could concentrate on what the Corp was playing instead of being over powered by some loud background filled base. It's not just coats. They are just my example.

But again those who miss the older days of Drum Corps...those days are past. Welcome to the new age of DCI. :)

All things considered, DCI seems to be doing quite well with the changes you note. Some of these changes, like vocals, electronics and alternative brass instruments, IF DONE WELL, put these shows on par with the best indoor and outdoor pageantry available today. I'm old enough to have seen many Broadway shows, Super Bowl halftimes, and Olympic ceremonies. Our young people in DCI today have all of that same "spectacle" covered. These are amazing productions, under certain difficult conditions.

I encourage everyone to ALSO view these productions on DCI-Live. It's quite different that way, and brings out elements unable to be appreciated from a single seat in a grandstand 50 yards away. This has become my "landing spot" and I couldn't be happier with what I see and hear today.

• Like 1

I think for some people, ten years or so after you either age out or are past the age of eligibility to march, you begin to become old school and nostalgic. Not in all cases, but many. I know if I am watching DVD's, I usually choose those between 1979-1989. That bring said, I still can't get enough of drum corps. I am sure 1980 will always be my favorite overall year, I will probably always feel 1988 and 1989 were pure perfection, but I will also never forget the emotion at being in Indy in 2013 when Crown won the title and could feel the same way if Bluecoats win.

One thing that has not changed over the years is passion. As an example watch the 1975 Kilties, classic old school. They have the 70's hair cuts and their "concert" piece of "Roll Over Beethoven" would be considered corny by today's standards, perhaps then too. I love this show because it does bring me back in time, but it also shows something else--passion. Then watch something completely the opposite, maybe Bluecoats 2014. "Tilt" shares very little with 1975 Kilties except one key element--passion. The kids today can do what they do without props, amplification, etc. they have talent as kids did back in the day.

Remember too, some of the better known names in the activity: George Hopkins, Jeff Fiedler, Bob Jacobs, and Rick Valenzuela all marched in old school days.

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 4

Great post, Tim K!

I still love me some late 80's drum corps (yes, even the PR rock ride cymbal)...but I get as excited and giddy each year as I did when I was 16 to watch what these talented groups come up with! It doesn't always hit the mark, but that's always been the case. But when it does hit the mark, wow!

As a band director of over 16 years and someone whose taught now many bands going to BOA, the two are not the same. change in any activity is inevitable. We see change all the time in pro sports. Think about the NBA for a moment, most don't remember a time when their wasn't a 3 point line, but it was not that long ago... How much has that influenced the game of basketball? Is it still basketball and a great product? Yes, but it changed strategy. Drum Corps has done the same. In the early days with the different types of G bugles music was limiting esp before the invention of 3 valve pre 91. Look at how much that changed things. Bbs taking over was a huge moment in changing the activity, but undeniable it made the activity better with more instrument and better quality availablity to many corps. Today's corps is pushing limits in terms of types of sounds produced and instruments to do it. It's weird at times and innovative at the same time. As a longtime HS director the bands get so many of the ideas from the era of drum corps that is present. When BD starting using the scatter in 07-08 instead of normal drill to define mvt it started to trickle in. Now drill is written to include professional choreo and mvt along with great drill. This variety is absolutely attributed to drum corps. Drum Corps is not looking to BOA for innovation.

This may offend some and I mean this not to be harmful but it's the best example I can think of..... I got my start and love for corps watching the 88 finals and specifically the Scouts! I loved the in your face playing and precision drill. Through the mid- 90s that style changed some but was still a successful way to write. One of the largest identity crises we saw in the 00s was Madison. As the style of show and writing changed the corps I loved to watch as a younger guy became outdated. Madison though figured it out and with their current leadership they've produced some great shows and innovative uses of design. Change is not bad, even the best corps in the business like the Scouts have to reinvent themselves because the same style and type of show decade after decade would be- boring! I use the Scouts only because they always are one of my all time faves. I owe them for the love of drum corps. Having marched with BK, we are that corps that pushes limits and efforts to do something different. It may be loved or hated but it's in the interest to inspire and push the activity and not to turn people off. Sometimes it delivers, other times it may not. Bloo/Crown have been so influential in pushing our activity to new heights and levels of use of alternative/electronic concepts. They've pushed drum corps and it is that- drum corps- BOA is an activity that will always draw and be inspired by drum corps. The two are not the same and never will be.

Wesley Perkins

• Like 7

That may be due to the fact there are less corps...............

It may also be due to the fact that these kids want to march that kind of show.

People can cite less corps today than in the "good ole days," but why is that? Did today's modern shows chase away the old corps? No. Did today's modern rules chase them away? No. Some cite the national tour model, but the last time I checked you are not forced to do a full tour.

Most of the older corps from yesteryear that we no longer enjoy were lost because of poor management, poor funding, failure to adapt to the times, the laws (such as insurance and proper tax reporting), and some didn't treat their kids very well. I've heard more than enough stories about corps that couldn't feed their kids well, that couldn't afford buses, paid their staff next to nothing, and the overall quality of tour was nothing to write home about. Sure, many old timers like to cherish those stories today and talk about how they were "men" back in the day and how it made them great to have it so hard...blah, blah, blah.

I'm 51 and have watched this activity for a long time. I prefer today to yesterday. Oh I loved the 80s. I can get very nostalgic about them, but in general I think the teaching, the training, the funding, the facilities, and the quality of tour is WAY BETTER today. The activity is doing a lot of things right, so if I have to put up with some electronics and some amp issues from time to time in order to support these young kids, then I will.

• Like 9