Where is DCI?

Drum corps in the greatest numbers back in my day seemed to be concentrated among the highly populated areas, esp urban centers. A lot of them were Catholic Church sponsored, and as that support faded away, there went a lot of the corps clustered in these areas.

You've probably seen some of my other posts or at least the responses to my posts by someone who knows me, so you may know my "real world" profession and I often get asked "When are you going to start a drum corps?" My response is always the same, as soon as I have endowed the church and school, and someone gives me $1,000,000, then we can talk. It hasn't happened yet.

I do know from some of my colleagues who were in parishes with drum corps, the support faded away when fewer nuns taught in the schools and fewer priests were assigned to parishes. This meant that lay people were hired and salaries had to be paid and it was a choice between the school and drum corps. Demographics played a role too, but on most cases the staffing changes came first.

We can never be 100% satisfied with any particular year of drum corps' evolution. But, if you are here to appreciate music with movement at the highest levels of achievement, you are STILL finding that. There's always something we'd prefer more of.

My biggest concern continues to be the loss of melody and flow. In many cases, we aren't given enough time to enjoy successful blending of tones that build a lasting color. I'm getting too many brief heralds and short flourishes. I'm not a musician, don't really know the names or background of what tunes Santa Clara Vanguard presents to me. I just know the compositions were GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY for the music to display its beauty to me.

We must never make our product too "scientific" as to limit the size of general audience participation.

• Like 1

All this being said, I find this year to be more about just the music and drill - mixed with some audio effects, choreography & staging but to a lesser degree. There seem to be fewer props and less narration overall. Electronics seem to be more integrated into the soundscape and don't stand out as much.

Am I seeing/hearing things or has anyone else noticed this?

Is this really true? Are there any WC corps that don't have props this year? I thought it was an unwritten rule in the Cesario era.

• Like 1

You've probably seen some of my other posts or at least the responses to my posts by someone who knows me, so you may know my "real world" profession and I often get asked "When are you going to start a drum corps?" My response is always the same, as soon as I have endowed the church and school, and someone gives me $1,000,000, then we can talk. It hasn't happened yet.

I do know from some of my colleagues who were in parishes with drum corps, the support faded away when fewer nuns taught in the schools and fewer priests were assigned to parishes. This meant that lay people were hired and salaries had to be paid and it was a choice between the school and drum corps. Demographics played a role too, but on most cases the staffing changes came first.

Yes, I have seen your posts. Good information!

It does seem to be a little bit of this, a little bit of that ($1 to Fiddler on the Roof) that led to the decline.

All in the name of change, DCI is no longer enjoyable to watch or even listen to (not even for free on YouTube). I pray someone figures it out real quickly before the entire activity goes down the tube. If I wanted BOA, I can just wait until band season. Enough will all of the crap talking, singing, 3 value horns, strings, trombones and various other electronics/ musical instruments that was reserved for marching bands. The judging community could use a major facelift too.

Well Turkey Lurky, There are three little words to throw at you: Adapt or Die. That comes from the following quote: "It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one most adaptable to change" - Charles Darwin. Prior to the formation of DCI, there were changes being made that were going to be the downfall of drum corps: double bass drum, bells (or glockenspiel), tympani, piston valves, rotary valves and so on. And here we are today with this version of DC. If what you are seeing is so painful to watch or listen to there is an incredibly easy solution. Stop listening, stop watching. But if you can tolerate incredible musicianship, marching ability, expertise in dance and equipment use outstanding brass composition and percussion and show design all influenced and taught by old school and new school drum corps people, then sit back and enjoy and wonder, like me, how the #### did they do that?

The level of excellence of corps in general and depth of excellence in each performing corps today is beyond anything imaginable back when DCI was born. And it all has its roots in what you liked BITD.

No one likes everything. No one ever did like EVERYTHING. But there is a lot to like. With the resources corps have today, the use of electronics, the incorporation of materials and technology to produce what you see on the field today and the choices today's MM's have in what to be involved with, leaves no place for small mindedness. If you feel like you can no longer stand it, then go away. Be at peace.

• Like 1

Get in your Delorean, type in 1963, step on the gas, and make sure you hit 88 MPH. I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for and feel right at home.

Oh, and make sure the Flux Capacitor is working correctly and that it's full of Uranium. Otherwise you'll wrap yourself around a tree.

Huh ? thousands of Corps, fans, alums have already gone, whether they walked, ran, or used the Classic '63 Delorean you mentioned here, or whatever.

Speaking of this Classic Car from 1963.... do you realize these unaltered cars from the 60's are so valuable today, that more people attend Classic Car shows in local communities than DCI National Championship Finals ?. And that lots of people are williing to spend lots, LOTS, of dough for a '63 Delorean ?.... and far more than for a 2016 modern crisp SUV ? I wouldn't chuckle at a '63 Delorean and the vast numbers of people that like these Classics if I were you , as you'd look pretty foolish in doing so with most people around the country and around the world.

Edited by BRASSO

George respectfully- we're talking about the two larger identities here- Drum Corps vs BOA HS Band. Yes I'm aware, but it wasn't common place on the field- drum corps or HS band until BD and others started to present it. The on the floor activities have always been able to do more and be innovative, but that's not what's being discussed here- it's full band vs full corps comparison.

And it started indoor. As did many of these judges. It's what they like and reward. Little credit anymore of marching and playing. 6 minutes of playing in a 12+ of emoting amd clapping and sliding and "dancing" and small ensembles. I personally like change, but it's the only thing getting rewarded. As far as BOA 2 of the top 3 staffs are essentially BOA rockstars. It's all connected.

• Like 1

Most long time fans, alums of Drum & Bugle Corps no longer go to DCI shows any more. The ones that do, usually go to see friends outside at a tailgate, and don't even go inside to watch. Its either pains them to watch what their once beloved activity has become, or the music and shows are too boring now for many of them. In any event, despite the larger units now, better instrumentation allowance, better MM talent, larger, better staff, better resources, larger props, amplification, electronics, etc the activity has less Corps, less marchers, less fans, and no TV exposure, than in earlier decades. Things do evolve and change. But these changes have not retained once loyal customers sufficient enough in numbers to grow the numbers of Corps, nor its fanbase. It is what it is, and I don't pretend to have the answers as to what it will take to turn it around.

Brasso, my friend, this is all hogwash and spittle. "Most long time fans..." Umm, can I see your data on that claim please? "...outside at a tailgate...pains them to watch...too boring..."? Again, stats, please, with verification of authenticity and not just BS you made up. Even if it's "first-hand knowledge" on your part, you're painting with an awfully big brush in these claims.

"...have not retained once loyal..."; then I would suggest they aren't loyal, are they? Loyalty presumes support during and despite inevitable change, doesn't it? And if the activity has moved beyond these "loyal" supporter's marching/fan experience is it a really a surprise that they aren't courted by DCI? How would/did these "loyal" fans "...grow the number of corps..." since 1972?

You DO have the answer! Instead of placating the whining old farts who can't get past themselves and their own histories, how about chiding them into recognizing that the activity is about the kids who march it and those who appreciate it? If one is among that group then GREAT! Come to the party! If one narcissistically believes that drum corps should revolve around oneself then, simply, good riddance.

Spread the word, Brasso Baby! Drum Corps today is freaking fabulous! Just ask the kids who do it or the fans who enthusiastically enjoy it!

• Like 2

Ah yes, the proverbial sky is falling, and DCI, in its quest to mimic WGI & BOA, only has a few short years left on life support before not a single derriere will fill a stadium seat to watch these esoteric & unengaging works of blah. Choppy music, brass never places, too much dancing, and other tired arguments I can't recall immediately.

Meanwhile, BD is performing among the most tear-jerking, full-phrased ballad in their recent history, stands are completely full at all shows, 21 of the 22 world class corps are marching full or nearly-full memberships, young people are auditioning in droves, corps are pushing boundaries and expectations, and *ALL* 22 world class corps have varying levels of spectacular audience-loving moments in their shows this year, down to and including Pioneer's burning of Joan of Arc at the stake.

Today's drum corps have no obligation to cater to the entertainment of corps alumni. When they do, we get situations like Spirit where "old school" and "throwback" shows are deemed a good idea, and growth is bad. Corps alumni do, however, have an obligation to view their corps in a current perspective, leaving (and treasuring!) nostalgia in the past, and supporting competitive and healthy growth for their corps in an activity that changes so rapidly --- just as they wanted their predecessor alumni to do when they marched. Cries of timpani and xylophones being stationary are no different than cries of too much dancing today.

Fads come and go; the good ones will stick around and turn into expected changes that must be incorporated. The bad ones inevitably always fade. Why do the people who perpetuate these arguments not realize that the sky has been supposedly-falling in EVERY decade of DCI competition history? Every few years, the activity evolves in ways that makes it seem different people who marched even just a short time ago. This has been happening for 40 years. No different than those who marched in the 70s decrying and bemoaning the evolutions made in the 80s. The vast majority of alumni embrace this and still adore the activity years and decades later...while a small few seem to think that their magical spot in the evolution timeline of DCI (anything a decade before was "old school", anything a decade after is too modern to ever support or watch) is the way things have to be or need to be. Sorry, but corps are more talented than ever, even small shows have the stands packed, and if you're not entertained or moved by any of the 22 shows this season, then it's simply because your mind is closed to it.

Nothing to see here folks... all is swell in the activity... everything is great.. DCI will be back on TV soon.... stadium stands are full.... theatres are overflowing..... judges, commentators, costume designers, etc are all young... DCI World Class Division numbers of Corps is at an all time high.... everybody loves the shows.... lots of new and exciting Corps are winning titles than ever before....everything is just peachy.... and DCI is growing fan subscriptions so fast they might run out of bandwidth.... meanwhile a percussion section from Great Britain has 2 million more views than all the DCI drumlines combined, but with just a little more tweeking, the DCI drumlines will overwhelm the Brit drumline's popularity with the world, we'll see..... so things are growing like you would not believe and everything is just GREAT !!

Edited by BRASSO