Cadets 2017

4 hours ago, henry7184 said:

Well that's an unfair generalization. I would rather listen to Bernstein and nothing more than listen to Zappa. And when I was 18 years old, I would have rather listened to Bernstein and nothing more than listen to Zappa, or play Zappa. To each his own, but there are many many members in today's drum corps that love classical music.

And just for the record, if I were marching this year, I would want to march SCV then Cadets (even over Bluecoats). I'd rather play something I'm passionate about and possibly finish 7th than play something I wasn't passionate about and potentially finish 1st.

How long ago were you 18 lol?

Well, having to catch up to 25 pages worth of Cadets was certainly interesting. 

I think people are being a little too hard on the design, it's really good, but just not my cup of tea. 

I'd still love to see Cadets go for more modern/abstract themes in the future. 

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Well, having to catch up to 25 pages worth of Cadets was certainly interesting. 

I think people are being a little too hard on the design, it's really good, but just not my cup of tea. 

I'd still love to see Cadets go for more modern/abstract themes in the future. 

The important thing is for Cadets to find their own niche in this modern era - if everyone went down the abstract route then it would be mighty boring.  I think the direction Cadets is headed is right for them - they just need to nail the design and get clean!  

My take currently is that they are spending so much time on the new ending that they are neglecting cleaning the rest of the show.  In parts (if you watch Orlando and then earlier shows) they seem to be getting dirtier rather than cleaner!  Thats why others are overtaking them.  Time to clean clean clean

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DCI-86 said:

The important thing is for Cadets to find their own niche in this modern era - if everyone went down the abstract route then it would be mighty boring.  

I don't disagree with this, but at the same time I'm being selfish and want to truly enjoy a Cadets show. I haven't been able to do that since 2013 when they did a wonderful take on an abstract concept. I would love to see them go in that direction. 

39 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I don't disagree with this, but at the same time I'm being selfish and want to truly enjoy a Cadets show. I haven't been able to do that since 2013 when they did a wonderful take on an abstract concept. I would love to see them go in that direction. 

A good point no doubt. Sometimes they can be too literal and it hurts the show. Too much info.

On the other hand, I still believe there are design teams out there that were stunned and blown away by Phantom Regiment's 2008 Spartacus production. A top 5 all-time show in my book. We discuss the trends of BD, Bloo, and Crown quite often on DCP.  And no doubt all 3 corps are doing amazing things. Bluecoats in particular have developed a style that joins music and visual in a unique way and provides a cool factor.  And the discussions on what BD has been doing since 2008 are still taking place.  

What often gets shoved aside is the effect Phantom's show (Cadets 2011, Academy last year) had on designers.  Those shows are more literal, a story summarized into a 12 minute show with some abstract elements, but with very literal characters, acting, narration, singing, etc. Definitely a more pronounced story line. If you can get it right that kind of show can be thrilling.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

A good point no doubt. Sometimes they can be too literal and it hurts the show. Too much info.

On the other hand, I still believe there are design teams out there that were stunned and blown away by Phantom Regiment's 2008 Spartacus production. A top 5 all-time show in my book. We discuss the trends of BD, Bloo, and Crown quite often on DCP.  And no doubt all 3 corps are doing amazing things. Bluecoats in particular have developed a style that joins music and visual in a unique way and provides a cool factor.  And the discussions on what BD has been doing since 2008 are still taking place.  

What often gets shoved aside is the effect Phantom's show (Cadets 2011, Academy last year) had on designers.  Those shows are more literal, a story summarized into a 12 minute show with some abstract elements, but with very literal characters, acting, narration, singing, etc. Definitely a more pronounced story line. If you can get it right that kind of show can be thrilling.

In some respects, that also describes the last show where Cadets were on the podium....despite the tarps, 'Oprah' and the droopy Capitol banner...and...ah...Copland...what a concept.

I enjoy the Bernstein/ Zappa discussion. But I don't think Zappa is thought of as cool by this generation. That's just obscure old music from way back in the '70's. In that regard....pretty much like Bernstein!  And yeah, you can't pigeon hole musical tastes. For all we know more kids doing drum corps today would prefer Bernstein to Zappa. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

I enjoy the Bernstein/ Zappa discussion. But I don't think Zappa is thought of as cool by this generation. That's just obscure old music from way back in the '70's. In that regard....pretty much like Bernstein!  And yeah, you can't pigeon hole musical tastes. For all we know more kids doing drum corps today would prefer Bernstein to Zappa. 

But since Zappa is from Baltimore and Bernstein is not, I prefer Zappa. :tongue:

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Yeah, the musical landscape shifted so wildly from the 1970's to now that the only place you might find Zappa these days is a classic rock station, and the classic rock stations don't play Zappa because he was so wild for THAT time period. He's always been, and always will be, a genius niche artist. He's NEVER been universally cool, but he will ALWAYS be cool to those who know and listen to him.

2 hours ago, DCI-86 said:

The important thing is for Cadets to find their own niche in this modern era - if everyone went down the abstract route then it would be mighty boring.  I think the direction Cadets is headed is right for them - they just need to nail the design and get clean!  

bump

• Like 1