"Clash of the Corps" Episode Discussion

There was a show in the series where they just didn't get the results right, and scv was totally missing.

Annapolis show - they had Crown listed in 2nd when it should have been SCV

• Like 1

Well the series is done for the season.

It was a little boring without much of a point, but for me it was ok. I mean, it's a show with drumcorps in it.

I could be critical of its content, but that's all been covered quite a bit here.

I will add some criticism about the show. We usually have the closed captions (CC) turn on. It's mostly to make sure we don't miss the random word in shows, but

my brother's also deaf and sometimes watches the main TV. I noticed a few things about the last episode.

The closed captioning wasn't perfect.

During the last episode, there was a point where the Blue Devils were being announced and the captions said, "from Stockton, California, the Blue Devils",when the audio was clearly "Concord, California". A second later they showed the Jumbotron, which also correctly listed "Concord, California".

Another instance was when someone was talking about Bluecoats, and the caption was "Blue Coats". Later they correctly captioned Bluecoats, "Bluecoats".

There were other little instances of minor errors, too, but CC on network TV that isn't live is mostly perfect. Maybe the whole production was rushed a bit and that's why we didn't get a better product?

Edited by jjeffeory

Just finished Episode 8. As noted before, I am ambivalent about this as a show. A couple of points, however:

First, I think our perspective on the show is definitely different because we know much more about the subject. I'm a business professor. Whenever I see TV shows or movies with business as a focus, it's just awful for me. So lacking in dimension. Much of the time, just badly inaccurate. I've shared this with friends who are MDs and lawyers. They say similar things about shows focusing on medicine and law. Maybe that's something.

Second, I never liked the Cadets' 2016 show. From LOS in June to LOS in August, the show concept never grabbed me. The mannequins in August: good grief. It all had me turned off. But Clash helped strip away some of that easy criticism and cynicism. Behind what I still think - for me - was a silly show idea was much hard work and very good execution. From the members but also from the staff.

I've known this about the hard work, of course. It's just easy to push it aside from the stands. And too-quickly judge. So good. Because of time spent watching Clash, I'm more likely to have a better attitude when I see another silly show next summer.

• Like 1

Curious to see if this gets a second season. I got the impression that the production crew really had no idea what they wanted this show to be at the beginning, but it seemed to get a little more focused about half-way through.

I have to say, for all of The Rock's lauding of what these kids do throughout the summer, there was very little that explored the complexities and demand of the activity, IMO.

Somewhat interesting to me that they didn't touch at all on the "drama" of staff exits that happened within a couple of days at the end of the season with Cadets.

Not sure why they would even consider touching that. Nothing else in any previous episode even alluded to something like that going down. The culmination of the season ended with finals.... not sure why you would expect them to end the show on staff changes.

Not sure why they would even consider touching that. Nothing else in any previous episode even alluded to something like that going down. The culmination of the season ended with finals.... not sure why you would expect them to end the show on staff changes.

I don't believe any of those staff members were ever on camera for any of the show. None of the "story" ever revolved around them. I would think they didn't want to be involved if that was the case. I think the only staff members really involved were George, Kristy, and 1 brass tech.

I don't believe any of those staff members were ever on camera for any of the show. None of the "story" ever revolved around them. I would think they didn't want to be involved if that was the case. I think the only staff members really involved were George, Kristy, and 1 brass tech.

Gino was on camera speaking several times.
  • Like 1

Creative Editing. Not only did they have Bluecoats performing before The Blue Devils, on Finals night, but you got to see Bluecoats marching behind The Blue Devils as Dave Gibbs was giving his pre show speech, reinforcing that the Blue Devils went on last!!!

Looking at the ratings the show got, I really doubt this will get another season. They did rerun episodes a lot--sometimes as many as 20 times in a week--so if you add up all the repeats, it could accumulate to around 400 thousand viewers. But, after the first week, no individual airing ranked #1 on the network. It will take a few weeks to add up all the delayed viewers to the most recent airings at 11PM on Wednesday to see how they did.

The 11PM airing on 10/26 got 100 thousand viewers within 7 days. That was good enough for #3 on Fuse. Two old reruns of "Everybody Hates Chris" beat it.

It will be a shame if I'm right and the producers don't get another shot at this. With some experience behind them, they might have made some improvements in a second season.

Edited by barigirl78