Muncie Madness - June 30, 2017

1 hour ago, DCIphotographer said:

You guys are all such amazing critics of design that you should be out there judging! 

Crown will be fine. It's only June 30th. Most of the keyboard show designers hated Cabaret Voltaire and then it won. When the show is finished (newsflash, it's not) it will be top 2. 

It's an unfinished show that's scoring fine (if top 3 can be considered fine) and it has limitless room to grow thanks to the art form that is deconstructionism.

Come back after Atlanta. If they're not in the top 3 I will gladly admit I was wrong but let's stop pretending that the show is a dumpster fire because you don't get the unfinished product yet. 

So if I'm understanding this correctly... we are all idiots but we should listen to your opinion as virtually gold. Quite persuasive lol 

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 4

31 minutes ago, defeldus2 said:

Biggest take away from the night was Crown's battery is not effing around. So aggressive and tight. Love their intensity. 

So glad to see they're still taking steps forward and not backward despite the staff changes.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Raise your hand if you thought that the Mandarins would top Academy by 2 points and be less than 3 points from Phantom Regiment tonite out on the West Coast.

*Checks prediction thread*

*Raises hand!*

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

So if I'm understanding this correctly... we are all idiots but we should listen to your opinion as virtually gold. Quite persuasive lol 

It's pretty flawed logic isn't it? The reality is none of us are the judges or can see the future so were just posting our opinions(Some have more credibility than others lol). A perfect example is during a contest tons of people will post how corps x drumline was amazing but then the recap shows the judge had a different viewpoint as they proceed to "hose" them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DCIphotographer said:

You guys are all such amazing critics of design that you should be out there judging! 

Crown will be fine. It's only June 30th. Most of the keyboard show designers hated Cabaret Voltaire and then it won. When the show is finished (newsflash, it's not) it will be top 2. 

It's an unfinished show that's scoring fine (if top 3 can be considered fine) and it has limitless room to grow thanks to the art form that is deconstructionism.

Come back after Atlanta. If they're not in the top 3 I will gladly admit I was wrong but let's stop pretending that the show is a dumpster fire because you don't get the unfinished product yet. 

I've been watching or marching in drum corps since 1968.  You don't have to be a judge to have an opinion.   

I see movies I don't care for and I don't have to be Martin Scorsese to have an opinion. 

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Prtzdle said:

I might be hated for this....but I think there is more than one other corps we've hear tonight that has a better arranged and written music book than Crown this year!! And don't get me wrong, we all love hearing crown brass play they way they do

I agree with this. This Crown musical book is not up to their usual excellence. Not as much musicality, weird pacing, and just doesn't seem to go anywhere. Other than the opener, all I'm hearing in this show is a well performed technical section with a couple big, loud chords to get the audience clapping. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

I agree with this. This Crown musical book is not up to their usual excellence. Not as much musicality, weird pacing, and just doesn't seem to go anywhere. Other than the opener, all I'm hearing in this show is a well performed technical section with a couple big, loud chords to get the audience clapping. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

So, the assumption that Crown's show is set in stone?  There are always changes made to the visuals AND the music as the season progresses -- both to improve the show and to keep the members "on their toes" (pun intended) when things become a little too familiar. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

So, the assumption that Crown's show is set in stone?  There are always changes made to the visuals AND the music as the season progresses -- both to improve the show and to keep the members "on their toes" (pun intended) when things become a little too familiar. 

From my experience, Crown's shows tend to go from more musical to less as the season progresses, so I don't exactly have the most faith that more musicality will be introduced. 

As you said, they try to keep the members on their toes. And it seems that means adding runs which really don't need to be in there

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, FaustianMachine said:

*Checks prediction thread*

*Raises hand!*

Well, there you go... good pick!

• Like 2