Muncie Madness - June 30, 2017

1 minute ago, DCImonkey said:

Awful lot of Simon Cowell's up in here sitting by their laptops with chromatic tuners lol    

I haven't heard any vocals that I haven't liked this year other than that guy talking in Cavies shows about his selfie.   That's just dumb

100% agree. In some other years I couldn't find a single instance of a live vocalist that I enjoyed, but I do enjoy them all quite a bit this year (save for the one you pointed out). 

1 minute ago, DCImonkey said:

Awful lot of Simon Cowell's up in here sitting by their laptops with chromatic tuners lol    

I haven't heard any vocals that I haven't liked this year other than that guy talking in Cavies shows about his selfie.   That's just dumb

Oh come on, Tommy.  Are you turning into "that guy"?  When I was a Cadets supporter, I was able to identify a turd.  Like last year. 

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

Oh come on, Tommy.  Are you turning into "that guy"?  When I was a Cadets supporter, I was able to identify a turd.  Like last year. 

Which turd are you referring to?  

2 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

I still can't help but to think that Cown has something up their sleeve yet with the deconstruction theme that will make us all go, "Oh!" when it's there.  It's obvious to me that the singing, and perhaps even some of the dissonance of it MIGHT have meaning to the theme.  

The issue is, even when it 'makes sense' will it be compelling enough to get us past the early perceptions and experiences of it? 

And if there isn't, and it never clicks, then will we be scratching our heads at it wondering what it could have been?  I'm still sort of doing that over BK last year....

I'm not so sure, but I hope you're right. I'm just gonna wait until August for now.

I'm with you on BK too. I love the first half of the show, but hoping they make the back half match that.

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

The first part of their show is dynamite.  And then, it happens.  

shhhh......I see what you did there

I definitely like the 2nd half of the show better.   That Andy Akiho piece makes the whole thing for me worth it.  I think its forward thinking and on a whole new level for Crown.  Which is the point of the show really.   We start with the "safe drum corps"  and go effing bananas :)     

• Like 2

I honestly don't know what Crown's design team was thinking... and I have nothing against vocals in general! Boston: not a lot of Voice, but effective. Cadets: LOTS of voice, but also effective. Crown: lots of voice... mediocre at best. Again, not the singer... the design is the issue here.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

Ok, something everyone liked from each show, and go:

• Carolina Crowns opener sounds amazeballs.  
  • Bluecoats ballad in this sitting was magical, if they can match that on the field it's gonna be amazing.  
  • Cavaliers hornline sounds the best it has in years, opener was awesome.  
  • Boston Crusaders show on every level musically sounds organic and cohesive down to how the voiceovers lay.  And how their singer is orchestrated/layered into the brass shows a vocal soloist can work in drum corps.  
  • Blue Stars brass on a fundemental level is what my ideal marching brass sound is.  Amazingly balanced, controlled, in tune, low supported, and just AWESOME.  
  • Madison Scouts show had the intensity and emotion that it was missing in the first video I saw.  That opening fanfare was awesome, if they can match that intensity on the field they're set to return to the top 12.  
  • Troopers whole show is a musical treat, front ensemble is SUPER tasty, and Nessun Dorma is gonna be a musical highlight of the summer for me.  
  • Pioneer is playing music we all know with their own unique fun twist.  Great singer.  
  • Music City has a very strong show for OC, ballad was a big highlight for me.  

Another takeaway on Bluecoats is that underneath the props and electronics there is some extremely solid drum corps going on.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 7