Does BAC overtake Cadets by San Antonio?

17 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I'm not forcing the Cadets to do anything. In the past I've been vocal about Cadets' design changes but this season I've remained largely quiet or cautiously complimentary due to the nature of the show. Just ask the Cadets honks, im usually way worse :inlove:

The show will simply remain off of my list of shows that I enjoy in the offseason, nothing more, nothing less

I agree he can be worser. heck, he's even been nice to me this season.:innocent:

But there is some great music there which you may be depriving yourself.

No... I don't think so.. That Cadets show has legs... it's just dirty. If they can clean it, then I say they pretty much two point Boston the whole year.

• Like 1

how many staff would hopkins cut when they score sixth(or seventh) for the second time in a row? 

23 minutes ago, Alcubierre said:

how many staff would hopkins cut when they score sixth(or seventh) for the second time in a row? 

I would imagine NONE.  Last year by his (GH) own admission they had a tough time off the field as well as on it - hence the changes (both voluntary and forced).  This year they seem to be having a fantastic time with a much more coherent programme and a younger corps that is starting to bring them into the 21st century (and will probably increase retention) so I suspect regardless of position they won't make too many staff changes.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Alcubierre said:

<ouch>

I just want to know how a guy of his age can have so little gray hair.    

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

Isn't everyone modifying at this point? I don't mean to be contentious, but if it took them this long to get a closer on the field, doesn't that give their competition time to change/alter the closer they already have on the field. I grew up a fan of all of these fine corps...I have no axe to grind with the Cadets...but didn't they have the same number of days/hours/minutes to develop a show as everyone else? We have several kids from our community who march Cadets...I do NOT want this to be taken as a slight at the Cadets...but I am kind of shaking my head that in mid-July they still have  " a closer to add". Maybe ( and I mean this with all honesty) I just don't understand how Drum Corps works in the modern day. 

I think you need to be careful about throwing this out as a criticism of the corps. I think the Cadets, with all that they went through in the off-season, have decided to work slower. I believe that this was the best decision they could have made. It's allowed them to take perhaps less experienced marchers/performers and still produce a really good show.  I think they are doing just fine.  

As for Boston passing them I will say this: both have great shows and I really enjoy both corps, but I would be surprised if Boston passes them. The Cadets just come across as the better corps when you see them live, mainly in GE and nuance, flow of the show.  If the tag ending of this show is strong I still feel the Cadets could get hot and be on the Cavaliers heals for that 5 spot.  The top 4 will be tough to deal with considering their performance excellence in all captions.  

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

<ouch>

I just want to know how a guy of his age can have so little gray hair.    

This is how tight the top 8 have become. Throw in BK and Phantom into the mix and who knows where everyone will place. Cadets IMO are so much better than last year but still can land up in that 6-8 place spot. Or maybe best at 4th. Who knows.

Boston's current scoring vector suggests that they could pass Cadets but, as others have pointed out, one or two judges can swing the whole thing.  

Both have great shows.  Boston's is good because it has a consistently paced set of "wow" moments.  Cadets' is great because it is so unexpected.  It is unlike any past rendition of Mass they've done, and it's one of the more innovative and uncomfortable (in a good way) designs of the season.  I've seen both live.  Boston sounded better originally, but Cadets' brass and percussion have steeply upped their execution in the last two weeks.  I originally thought Cadets could medal with this show... and still think it's possible.  I'm expecting they'll nail down the full design and there will be enough time for them to continue to climb and fend off competitors.  GH is also a force of nature and has weathered all kinds of adversity.  They may have had recent slumps, but he has shown many times that he can evolve and turn it around.  

While I'm not certain, I suspect Boston has the edge with regard to average MM age being higher (and member retention being much higher).  Their maturity plus the staff's experience can bring their execution to "box 5" across the board.  Their level of enthusiasm, focus, and sheer determination are also a force.  They sure climbed out of a ditch during the final weeks of last season.  Despite some disadvantages (which are absent this year), they turned on the focus and snagged 12th, exceeding the late season expectations.  I get the sense that they've carried that drive into this season and will not allow corps ranked 4-6 to rest easily.  

• Like 1