The REAL San Antonio Rough Riders Thread

It's difficult to manage bias. It would be helpful if DCI judges, like court justices, had to provide a written opinion justifying their placements and scores. Numbers can only tell so much. 

Edited by Ediker
clarity
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ediker said:

It's difficult to manage bias. It would be helpful if DCI judges, like court justices, had to provide a written opinion justifying their placements and scores. Numbers can only tell so much. 

I think that is what the tapes are for.

At least Cesario hears them besides the corps admin and caption faculty.     ...and Cappybara**

**"In the thread we have going about GE right now, it was mentioned that a judge (whose tape I posted in that thread)"  7/23/17 Cadets' thread.

.' 

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, phd-student-TTU said:

You can make an explanation for anything. Doesn't mean it's valid. 

And if you think PR's guard is better than crown or BAC, you're blind. 

Variance is normal statistically speaking. Outliers aren't. 

And you know it's not valid... how exactly? Have you listened to the tapes? I'd love to hear them too if so! 

Edited by Cappybara

7 minutes ago, xandandl said:

of course that would have left out Jay Kennedy and a number of others. But all in all, I agree with you on this.

Absolutely... quite a few judges as a matter of fact. Such a policy would be beneficial for all parties involved... including judges themselves, imo.  I don't personally believe that any current judge in DCI is out to intentionally hurt( or assist) another Corps based upon some very recent history with a Corps in competition that they are judging, but by the same token, I don't want to see an umpire behind Home Plate calling balls and strikes in a baseball game that was on the staff of the Red Sox 2 seasons ago, and its a Red Sox- Yankees baseball game. ( ok... maybe I would if he left the BoSox on good terms on 2nd thought.. haha... but you get my point ).

21 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

I hear you, but many of these judges all have some level of history with Corps/ WGI.  Maybe however, DCI should have a policy that if you instruct a Corps, you can not judge in DCI for ( say ) 4-5 years or some such. That may not diminish any potential judge bias, but it might provide another layer of confidence and transparancy for the public at large. Its entirely possible, heck maybe even likely, that Lentz simply assesses Guard perfiormances differently than others.. and thats ok. But when a judge leaves a staff and returns too quickly to then judge in DCI, it does present  the environment for some questions.. So I'd be in favor of judges who decide to leave judging to instruct,. but then decide they want to come back to judge again be given more time and space, before returning to judge Corps in competition that they recently ( within 2 years ) were in show design. instruction with. Such a policy would naturally result in more confidence, transparancy on the part of the public, imo.... and would actually be better for that judge as well, imo

That is actually a rule that exists today! Believe it is 1 year off (minimum) after teaching before returning to judge again in world class. In the 1 year interim you're limited to judging open class (if you'd taught at a world class corps) or judging I&E, etc. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Absolutely... quite a few judges as a matter of fact. Such a policy would be beneficial for all parties involved... including judges themselves, imo.  I don't personally believe that any current judge in DCI is out to intentionally hurt( or assist) another Corps based upon some very recent history with a Corps in competition that they are judging, but by the same token, I don't want to see an umpire behind Home Plate calling balls and strikes in a baseball game that was on the staff of the Red Sox 2 seasons ago, and its a Red Sox- Yankees baseball game. ( ok... maybe I would if he left the BoSox on good terms on 2nd thought.. haha... but you get my point ).

I'm a Mets fan, but even I know the Yankees have a GREAT Judge on staff for '17, ha, ha.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rr4353 said:

That is actually a rule that exists today! Believe it is 1 year off (minimum) after teaching before returning to judge again in world class. In the 1 year interim you're limited to judging open class (if you'd taught at a world class corps) or judging I&E, etc. 

I think it should be 4-5 years however. But the Corps have the policies they have all ok'ed, so they have to live with it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, candymancan said:

Are you surprised by this?  I have never seen more insults to groups in my life. Some of the things said in this thread are downright cruel. Every kid who is out there pushing themself deserves far more than what some of these heartless people write. Heartbreaking that there are kids that read these forums....

You are correct in much of what you say, and when it comes to what is said, all too often the fact we are talking about kids gets lost, and since so many of us who post are old enough to be the parents if not the grandparents of the kids on the field today, we should think if this were my son, daughter, niece, nephew, or grandchild, would this be helpful? Sadly that's what happens with the anonymity of the internet. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

Haha. They do look like that a bit, don't they?

Lol you quoted the wrong guy, I definitely did not say that 

8 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Lol you quoted the wrong guy, I definitely did not say that 

Oh. Very sorry about that sloppiness.

• Like 1