2018 Prediction Thread

7 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Its been over 30 years since Phantom Regiment has finished below 9th.  1986 ( 10th ), and 1975 ( 10th ). But things do change, so who knows.

I thought Blue Stars had them beat this season...but what do I know...

10 minutes ago, Liahona said:

Blue Stars were 3.30 points behind Phantom at San Antonio Regioinals... by Finals night however,  Blue Stars had cut it to under 2 tenths. So you wern't far off Liahona. Who knows what might've happened with another 4-5 days in the season. Blue Stars were closing fast on them by Finals Night anyway.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Blue Stars were 3.30 points behind Phantom at San Antonio Regioinals... by Finals night however,  Blue Stars had cut it to under 2 tenths. So you wern't far off Liahona. Who knows what might've happened with another 4-5 days in the season. Blue Stars were closing fast on them by Finals Night.

"Madness...Madness...Madness...Attack Enemy...Attack Enemy"

Edited by snare_guy_83
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BRASSO said:

Blue Stars were 3.30 points behind Phantom at San Antonio Regioinals... by Finals night however,  Blue Stars had cut it to under 2 tenths. So you wern't far off Liahona. Who knows what might've happened with another 4-5 days in the season. Blue Stars were closing fast on them by Finals Night.

I didn't look at these scores....but OK...interesting...3 points is a lot to make up for sure...I still thought they were better having seen both corps several times live...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Liahona said:

I didn't look at these scores....but OK...interesting...3 points is a lot to make up for sure...I still thought they were better having seen both corps several times live...

yeah I hear you. I wish I had a dollar for every time I thought a Corps should have finished ahead of another Corps too. I could buy a Dollar Store Franchise by now... lol

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Liahona said:

21 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Blue Stars were 3.30 points behind Phantom at San Antonio Regioinals... by Finals night however,  Blue Stars had cut it to under 2 tenths. So you wern't far off Liahona. Who knows what might've happened with another 4-5 days in the season. Blue Stars were closing fast on them by Finals Night anyway.

you and many others with eyes and ears thought Blue Stars should have beat phantom....

• Like 1

I think SCV is going to go on a win streak for 2 to 3 years.

Cavaliers make it to 2nd and BD drops to 3rd shocking everyone but it's a rebuilding year and they do something very groundbreaking.

19 minutes ago, flammaster said:

I think SCV is going to go on a win streak for 2 to 3 years.

Cavaliers make it to 2nd and BD drops to 3rd shocking everyone but it's a rebuilding year and they do something very groundbreaking.

SCV has way too many age outs to repeat 2017, espcecially with increasing competition in destination corps.

My gut tells me Carolina Crown will come back with the right show for them and legitimately challenge for a gold medal. 

1. Blue Devils

2. Crown

3. Bluecoats

4. Boston

5. SCV

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 1

Not a prediction -- I will save those for later as we head into the new season -- but it seems to me the Big Four have not changed, even though Bluecoats were beat by Cavaliers on Finals night.  I still believe the top 4 corps in the activity are Blue Devils, Santa Clara, Carolina Crown, and Bluecoats. 

Cavaliers mounted a great run and pushed their way into 4th this year, but as great as they were visually they will have to make big improvements in brass book construction, brass performance, overall music analysis, and hope that all that leads to better music GE.  They looked excellent and marched very well, and what a great guard. But the brass, while good, did not sound like it belonged in the top 5. Music construction was poor and hard to follow. They were way over scored in those areas in my opinion. 

Boston Crusaders will certainly be a corps to look out for. With that design team and teaching staff, with the right show (and we know they will land plenty of talent), I believe they will knock on the door of the top 5, maybe top 4. My gut instinct is that without a better music book and better brass performance, the Cavaliers will fall below Boston next year. 

The Cadets, Phantom Regiment, Blue Stars, Blue Knights are in the same region at the moment, but each year is new. This past summers' Cadets show minus some of the cheese was a really good design with a wonderful overall music book (especially once they got the closer right). With a more experienced corps that show would have moved up some.  So I was pleasantly surprised and happy with the overall design from the new team. Less cheese would be good. Less literal interpretation will help. In particular all corps, and not just Cadets, need to steer clear of thinking narration, props, tarps, and electronics will create GE.  It might, but not to the extent that good playing, marching, color, design, speed, and powerful music construction will.  I sometimes think these corps should completely unplug in some practices and also pull all the props, tarps, and other gimmicks off the field. Take a look at your show without the "makeup" so to speak. What does it look like? How does it sound and feel? Can you fix things in this state before you add the icing on the cake? 

From the ballad to the end of the show Phantom was classic Regiment and they rocked the house. That kind of show for 2018 with a more even design from top to bottom, coupled with a faster start, could give Rockford a boost.  As always, I hear and see so much talent in Rockford year in and out.  They just need the right design and a quicker start.

The quality of the Blue Knights is, and has been for some time, incredible across all captions. They can drum, brass, guard, and drill. What they have to do better, however, is find moments in those somewhat esoteric shows they do where they can "bring home the bacon." Give that corps the right show and watch out. I look forward to the day we see Denver power its way into the top 5, maybe top 4. The Blue Knights remind me of the Bluecoats from back in 2003 and 2004. Bloo was just really developing a new style, look, music groove, etc. Once Bloo got the kinks worked out they have had plenty of top 5 finishes, including four top 3 finishes and a World Championship. Denver to me seems like a corps that can do this. They just need to slightly tweak that show style of theirs.  

I will comment on others as we go through the fall and winter. The over-riding impression I got from watching Finals was we still have FOUR corps who are on a different plane. If I had to pick now it would be some variation of BD, SCV, Crown, and Bloo. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 5

Hmm...

while I won't argue that the Cavaliers do need their most help in the brass/music analysis you forget that they only finished .1 in brass and .2 in Music Analysis behind the Bluecoats at finals. It might be your opinion that they were overscored but it wasn't the opinion of the judges throughout the summer that consistently had them in that 5th spot and a few times bettering SCV in brass.

youre talking about a corps that won 5 championships and finished in the top three 11 times since 2000. To say that there are top 4 corps in the activity and then basically everyone else is a little misconstrued. Based on history the top 4 corps in the activity are BD, Cadets, Cavaliers and SCV. The last few years I would add Crown and Bluecoats being the Top Six with Phantom right there. 

What you say about the Cavies needing help in music can be said the same about Bloo needing help visually and the big reason they were knocked out of fourth. 

I think a better statement then naming a top 4 would be saying something like, there are 5/7 corps that will be contending for a medal next year (I would never ever count out the Cadets).

• Like 6