Blue Devils 2018

1 hour ago, flugelswerebugels said:

Back in the Jurassic Period, Jack Meehan told us a story about "finishing" a show. He saw a PBS program (this was back when you were more of a nerd if you watched PBS) about an Indonesian man who carved elaborate wooden doors. The interviewer asked him how he knew when a door was finished. He said "When they take it away from me". In other words, the show is never done, they just run out of opportunities to further perfect it.

Sometimes people say, "_____________ would have won with one more week of practice."

For BD in 2014, they just ran out points they were able to earn.   It could have been, "In first place, with a 105.3..."

2 hours ago, flugelswerebugels said:

Back in the Jurassic Period, Jack Meehan told us a story about "finishing" a show. He saw a PBS program (this was back when you were more of a nerd if you watched PBS) about an Indonesian man who carved elaborate wooden doors. The interviewer asked him how he knew when a door was finished. He said "When they take it away from me". In other words, the show is never done, they just run out of opportunities to further perfect it.

This is at a much lower level, but with the  band I taught for 24 years, we made changes to music and drill right up to champs to keep the kids on their toes. I always said I liked to finish the season knowing there were still MORE things we could have done. 

Yeesh, never read YouTube comments, especially on BD videos. Just saw way too many comments to the tune of "I guess everybody's doing jazz now."

Now??

NOW?!?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, flugelswerebugels said:

Love that Jurassic period!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Yeesh, never read YouTube comments, especially on BD videos. Just saw way too many comments to the tune of "I guess everybody's doing jazz now."

Now??

NOW?!?!

That's like criticizing Microsoft for making operating systems. 

• Like 3

Question about BD's housing sitch. I was looking to stop by rehearsal when they're in town on the day of the AZ show and it said on their site "indoor rehearsal" at 12:30 at Mesquite HS. Being decently familiar with Mesquite's campus, I don't know of any indoor facility they would use. Does anyone have a way of getting clarification on this?

6 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Now??

NOW?!?!

Face it.  Some are just clueless.

4 hours ago, brassdude6171 said:

Question about BD's housing sitch. I was looking to stop by rehearsal when they're in town on the day of the AZ show and it said on their site "indoor rehearsal" at 12:30 at Mesquite HS. Being decently familiar with Mesquite's campus, I don't know of any indoor facility they would use. Does anyone have a way of getting clarification on this?

Might want to call Mesquite.

10 hours ago, saxfreq1128 said:

Now??

NOW?!?!

I’m honestly ashamed that some of these people in the comments are only a couple years younger than me and some are probably the same age! Comments under BD videos are always the worst, it usually has something along the lines of 

“So how much are they paying the judges this year?”

”this show is exactly the same as last year!”

”Park and bark, so boring”

”There are too many trumpet screamers, the corps doesn’t sound balanced at all”

”Would it kill them to do something other than jazz?”

Did I cover all the bases? Now I’m gonna go mash my head into a wall :lol:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

How does the Quad "Konnakkol" feature fit in with the rest of the program?

It's cool, but they are playing with a track. Members mic'ed up singing it themselves would be at another level, but still...how does it fit the rest of the program?