The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

5 hours ago, JMS1995 said:

If one lawsuit goes forward, you can bet that the Cadets and Yea! will be named in it and will need to hire a defense team. It is at this point they will exhaust their funds (even without a ruling against them) unless a super-wealthy alum steps in or they raise souvie prices (care for a $900 shirt?)... if they exist at all it will be in "Holy Name" only, dba "The Cadebts."  I hope this doesn't happen, but looking at the litigious world around us, it seems plausible.

Usually, there's liability insurance for this kind of things. For instance, NEA members have at least a million dollar liability coverage (from when I taught, may be more now, unknown) as part of their membership. The real and primary reason one should be in the teacher's union. I hope they were prudent enough to carry it and keep it paid up.

7 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

So the claim in the new reporting is that Hopkins drugged and raped an unnamed woman eight years ago, when she was 25 and met him in a bar for what he had told her would be a business meeting. She also says that Hopkins groped and attempted to kiss her when she worked for YEA at the age of 21. The statute of limitations has not expired; she is not certain about whether she will file charges.

She doesn't say anything about having contacted YEA or DCI before now about this alleged assault, but she says that when she worked for YEA:

"Other employees told her to stay away from then-Director George Hopkins".

So twelve years ago, some people at YEA knew Hopkins was trouble.

I think I even knew through my contacts at that point. As much of as a social mushroom as I am, that says something.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, cowtown said:

It’s good to get the house in order now, to shame the activity in to better behavior

Thought about something told me by someone who was involved in the high profile kinds of prosecutions, and this is just that.

To some perps, the public humiliation and shaming can be the worst thing that happens to them, even worse than the jail time. That's why prosecutors set up the perp walk footage with the TV stations for some unsavory folks...

• Thanks 1

For some reason, this keeps going through my head:

Go on now, go, walk out the door
Just turn around now
'Cause you're not welcome anymore
Weren't you the one who tried to break me with goodbye
Do you think I'd crumble
Did you think I'd lay down and die?
Oh no, not I, I will survive
Oh, as long as I know how to love, I know I'll stay alive
I've got all my life to live
And I've got all my love to give and I'll survive
I will survive

• Like 1

Anyone else notice dcp got mentioned in one of the articles in the latest Allentown paper links? Go to the latest link and in the story link is “not the only departure in 2018”. Sorry on phone so no copy n paste the link.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

7 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Ok kyle.. calm down... lol!... Are you in a committee or something, re" we ". garfield and me will be fine.... lol!

Never, in the history of calming down has anyone ever calmed down after being told to calm down.

However, studies show that people named Francis have lightened up after having been told to do so by Sgt Hulka.  :laughing:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Going into lurk mode for a while. I have no business wasting people's, or my, time just BS'ing now (a nod to whomever it was who gave me a verbal neck-jerk last night. Very right.).

There's not much happening on the subject out in public and not much to BS about.

I'm flooded with thoughts and emotions and could use the break to unjumble them (after Brasso handed me the whisk).

(I hear the applauding - knock it off.)

N.E. - I just skimmed your thoughts and want to discuss - PM me a C&P of your post and let me answer it there.  I think you were breathing the smoke that Brasso and I were making; I'm sure I can show you.

For any others who are interested (and I doubt many are), IMO, this little niche was not created, did not evolve, and is not now structured like nearly any other activity.  The foxes are literally in the hen house and, therefore, it's reasonable to presume two things:  1) The rules and enforcement at the DCI level are tilted towards the directors and their corps, creating separation of responsibility and allowing flexibility to account for local laws and mores, and 2) the rules are also written to prevent catastrophe from sinking the entire ship (witness the response to the G7 by the other member corps).

It's entirely possible that the separation provided by 1) also had the effect of providing cover in how DCI accomplished its responsibility on this issue.  Maybe this is such an isolated event and circumstances that it's not indicative of anything larger in the activity.  Maybe more misdeeds will be reported and other will be accused.

In either case, some passionate people on the DCI BoD are hard at work, along with Dan's office, I'm sure, doing all they can to protect both kids and the activity.  Once I learned of the legal remedy to the G7 coup attempt I remember thinking how creative it was as a tactical maneuver, and how I thought they'd just pulled magic out of their hat.

I'm sure that hat is what's being stirred in Indy, and in the law offices representing the accused and, maybe, Cadets' now-departing BoD.

I originally thought (to myself, thank God) that this could bring down the whole tent, but not now.

Love ya', Brasso.  I'll be watching - you keep your facts straight, now, ya' hear?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MikeD said:

Which restaurant? We ate at the Wharfside last week. Excellent as always.

Not totally sure yet... but we're leaning toward the Shrimp Box, if we can get there before 6 for the Sunset Dinners.

As you know, Mike... this place and the Wharfside are always a solid bet!!! 

If we want to try something new for us, Shore Fresh is the Plan B option.  LOL.  

Love Point Pleasant.  My favorite Jersey Shore town.

8 hours ago, Tristan said:

I did that once. Discovered it took me seven years to come back.

I could do that.  LOL.

12 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Anything G7 is 8 years old and dead in the water. It’s time to stop beating that dead horse

So what?  Most of the events of this thread topic happened longer than eight years ago.  We can't dismiss everything that ever happened prior to 2011.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1