Is there a double standard in acceptable show design past to present?

4 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Could be stocks what were they used for? Anyway the point is although I enjoyed the show it did seem to exploit a time in history that is better left alone no matter what gender threw her into the fire and going there Boston was aware of what it was doing making it all good because which gender did the dirty deed, insane and not unlike what the Bridgemen did with the Civil War. I enjoyed both shows but there are definitely  parallels bordering on acceptance and taste. 

Oh, what they don't teach anymore.

Thank You for the responses to this thread and again sorry for the name calling (Snow****). After reading over the responses I am glad I am not a woman seems folks are really confused about exploitation. However in this day and age I may wake up tomorrow and identify as a women so I will be sure to avoid being placed in stocks no matter what they are used for. 

2 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Thank You for the responses to this thread and again sorry for the name calling (Snow****). After reading over the responses I am glad I am not a woman seems folks are really confused about exploitation. However in this day and age I may wake up tomorrow and identify as a women so I will be sure to avoid being placed in stocks no matter what they are used for. 

Public shaming.  You would have found them in Western Towns as well.  And it wasn't always Women who were put in stocks.  ... And (IIRC), you can get your picture taken in Stocks at Knott's Berry Farm.

Depicting historical not-so-nice events can be a teaching tool and that's how I viewed BC 2017 show.  We don't want to go back there or allow our current practices go that direction with those who believe differently (or are just having more fun than we are).  I subscribe to the view that those who ignore the past, are doomed to repeat it. ... But, then again, being a History major, you might expect it of me.  And History is often not very pretty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian Tuma said:

I think there’s a big difference between what VK’s cymbal line wore and what is worn today. Today’s costuming is designed first and foremost for very active performers who need outfits with flexibility. I won’t comment on what VK’s cymbal line outfit was designed for but I’m glad those days are mostly in the past. 

Only saw them once on the PBS broadcast. Still remember the cut up to there part at the bottom of the outfits. Just thought if that would have been tried with some female perc I knew there would be major trouble. That and what dad and mom of these members thought

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Bluzes said:

have been the best and most accessible entertainment available, to some

I agree that drum corps is "accessible" to some.  I do like the music to be accessible and play more of the song instead of 16 counts.  The musicianship, guard work, and development of props have definitely gotten much better since the 70s when I got involved in drum corps. However, often shows have gotten so far out there that they are difficult to fully understand.  

9 minutes ago, dcikon2 said:

I agree that drum corps is "accessible" to some.  I do like the music to be accessible and play more of the song instead of 16 counts.  The musicianship, guard work, and development of props have definitely gotten much better since the 70s when I got involved in drum corps. However, often shows have gotten so far out there that they are difficult to fully understand.  

Difficult to fully understand I am there as well. Yes I think everything is much better and put me there today rather than marching in the 60s and I would not even make the middle school band being a one stick drummer back in the day. It's what makes the activity so rewarding even with one stick Drum Corps gave me life changing abilities and attitude that helped through Nam  and set the stage for a wonderful career developing 24 patents in IP Technology w/o a College Education and a good retirement. I will always be grateful.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tim K said:

This thread does not sound like a commentary on the state of drum corps today as much as trying to bring the tensions that divide our nation into drum corps.

First, the Bridgemen did not attempt to have “fun” with the Civil War. Yes Bridgemen performed enjoyable shows, but they were tough, fierce competitors. They aimed for shows that had impact as GE was becoming more important. The Civil War medley showed off their horn line more than anything else and employed a great deal of passion to show off the power of their brass. Given that the show ended with everyone coming together under an American flag with the peace symbol, I’d be willing to bet the show designers did not think the Civil War was a laughing matter. Sure it was funny at the time to have the South win at a finals held in Birmingham, but the tensions today are different. 

Regarding Velvet Knights, did I object in the 80’s? Probably not. Other corps were more on my radar screen. I remember them, and I know I saw them live on occasion, but they were not a corps I was devoted to following. At 55, I could still be the age of some parents of kids marching today, but edging closer to the grandfather category. I know when I watch the Velvet Knight cymbals, I think “I’d never let my daughter wear that.” Double standard, maybe, seeing things differently over time, definitely. However, given how many people were uncomfortable with Phantom’s show last year, and the revelations that a former director was preying on young women the age of those cymbal players at the appropriate time they were marching, a certain creep factor does set in, at least for me.

well they did have the South win...with finals in Alabama....

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Only saw them once on the PBS broadcast. Still remember the cut up to there part at the bottom of the outfits. Just thought if that would have been tried with some female perc I knew there would be major trouble. That and what dad and mom of these members thought

the girls marched it, so one has to think they were ok with it. I mean every male between breathing and dead were fans, and I remember them having guys go up for autographs in Allentown

2 hours ago, Bluzes said:

:lle: