Carolina Crown 2015

Alright folks. where are the people who have vids of the changes. pm me

• Like 1

Alright folks. where are the people who have vids of the changes. pm me

same here. a video would be much appreciated :)

here's a report from earlier tonight:

Ensemble rehearsals with Klesch & Aungst are THE BEST - it is AWESOME to watch, listen & learn!!!

Do you think maybe Crown got a little better tonight ?

Watch and listen to what? Give us a link to a video!!

• Like 1

This may be my favorite part :

https://youtu.be/JbLiZ-XQDUM?t=2m2s

Oh heck yes! My favorite too!

PS - folks, the world will soon figure out this will rank as one of the best of the year! Crown is coming! Groans in the stands last night when Crown was announced in 2nd to BD. Incredible show and this is just one of many tremendous features in Inferno.

• Like 2

Okay, so here's my recommendation as to the major change Crown will make at the 9:00 minute mark. When the horn line is wrapped in the red cloak of Phlegathon, the boiling river of blood, one by one, each horn line member will tear through the cloth, escaping its grasp, barely able to breathe, tearing through the waves, stumbling and helping each other out of the river of the seventh circle of hell. They help each other up, brush themselves off, and celebrate their escape from hell, perfectly segues to the last movement, Beethoven's Ninth.

I agree that Crown faces a major challenge conveying why their dark tale has a happy ending. In their source material, Dante is simply getting a guided tour of Hell so that he'll behave better and not be da##ed there after his death. He witnesses terrifying sights, and he is occasionally menaced by demons, but for the most part, there's very little sense that he could be trapped there while still alive. If he were da##ed, he'd have no chance of escape--which was my problem with SCV's 2011 show. (It's no good for viewers to say that wasn't a problem because they don't believe in Hell: in that case, you can't be trapped there, which was SCV's whole premise.) Your solution might work for the purposes of what is, in the end, merely an eleven-minute drum corps show which by its nature, can't be particularly profound, but it doesn't work for the source material at all: merely emerging from Phlegathon (in which Dante himself is never immersed, so Crown in that striking image presumably represents such sinners as Alexander of Macedon and Attila of the Huns [and did you know that "Attila" is actually a Gothic rather than a Hun name?]) doesn't get you out of Hell at all: you still either have to travel seven circles up or two circles down to escape.

That's an... interesting silk design...

11667421_10204500417979568_5724543627024

From the famous 19th C. illustrations of the Commedia by Gustave Doré, that's "Dante views the Soul of Arachne". Although that's actually a moment from Purgatorio rather than Inferno (and Dante doesn't see Arachne herself but an engraving of her on the floor).

Anyone who's read Dante's Inferno, any translation… let me know.

I've actually written an encyclopedia article about it.

• Like 1