Phantom Regiment's 6th place finish

Poll  

364 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with Phantom Regiment's 6th place finish at the Southwestern Championships?

• Yes
    • No

This is all very interesting...

Until last night's show, Regiment's show was getting lots of praise all summer...

...now that they have slipped to 6th....people have come out of the woodwork to proclaim how mediocre the show has been all summer...

interesting indeed

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

phantom has only been given the title once, in a tie with a decidely stupid bd show. they've won high drums at finals once, despite having a quality line long before rennick was there (though rennick's pretty much a god, don't get me wrong). name a year where phantom placed out of the top 3 and i'll show you a year where cavies won with a show where they meandered down the field to play, and THEN started running like phantom does for their whole show. pr gets robbed every single year. no, i don't think they deserve 15 championship titles and all subcaptions every other year. but phantom puts out a powerful, top notch show every single year and their only reward is apathy from some fans and ####-chucking from others about how the show was "dirty," as if that helps anything.

i'm worried because the phantom regiment, while a top notch corps for well over 20 years, is given relatively little. every single year. it's getting to be something of a debacle at this point.

Your credibility keeps dropping.

Quit while you are behind.

phantom has only been given the title once, in a tie with a decidely stupid bd show. they've won high drums at finals once, despite having a quality line long before rennick was there (though rennick's pretty much a god, don't get me wrong). name a year where phantom placed out of the top 3 and i'll show you a year where cavies won with a show where they meandered down the field to play, and THEN started running like phantom does for their whole show. pr gets robbed every single year. no, i don't think they deserve 15 championship titles and all subcaptions every other year. but phantom puts out a powerful, top notch show every single year and their only reward is apathy from some fans and ####-chucking from others about how the show was "dirty," as if that helps anything.

i'm worried because the phantom regiment, while a top notch corps for well over 20 years, is given relatively little. every single year. it's getting to be something of a debacle at this point.

Dude. Quit trying so hard to, um...help. Just relax, enjoy the show (I sure as hell do) and let the summer take its course. All will be good.

Hey, no offense because I sense how much you care for the organization, and that is certainly a nice thing to see...

BUT....

Please give it a rest.

Some of what you say is true, some is not. Regiment suffered from notoriously poor percussion lines for a very long time before Rennick came along. There have been many years where Regiment placed out of the top three and Cavaliers had fantastic shows...2000, 2002, and 2004 come to mind. Let's not sully an entire organization just because you love another one. I understand your frustration, and as an alumnus, I share it...but I am not sure that putting down another organization, or even the overall organization (DCI) itself is the way to go.

Regiment has a nice show this year. I really dig it, I find myself humming it when I am working on drill. However...they are having visual issues. That cannot be denied. Yes, they are running all over the field, and it is impressive that they can maintain the level of playing they are. But all that running around is too much work and is taking its toll. The staff knew what they were doing, and the effect that they are going for is not quite there yet...will it be? I hope so. I would love to see this show win a title, but...I don't see it.

That doesn't mean I am not going to cue this show up over and over again on iTunes. I think that this show will join 2006, 2005, 2003, 1993, and 1991 as my most-listened to shows. Be a fan, enjoy the show, and leave it at that.

After all....the very same judges you crucify are the ones you would be praising if Regiment was still in the top 3 and climbing. I've made this point before, but I will make it again:

You can't just pick and choose the moments to complain about judging. Perhaps it is not as applicable to Regiment, since they have not won many titles, but on the rare (and it is quite rare, actually) occasions that I see a Cavaliers fan complaining about adjudication, I always shake my head and wonder where the person was when the Cavaliers were winning most of the titles this decade.

Just enjoy the show.

I am. Regardless of whether it is first or seventh come Finals.

as i've written earlier in this thread, i'm terribly saddened that the intensity that needs to be there, isn't. every time i hear/watch this show, i feel like a parent wanting to stand behind their child and push it where it needs to go.

i still keep finding myself wondering what the drill is supposed to look like in "perfect" form...and then i wonder what the judges are thinking with this flocking, almost clustered drill. is it akin to anything written/seen before?

i do find this show to have the most aurally pleasing selections on the field...and that baritone solo at the beginning of firebird has been untouchable when i've seen/listened to it. if they can clean up the drill decently and put some real power and solid sound together and take the music caption...i can see this show taking alot more than 6th place.

i think we're going to be surprised in a little less than 3 weeks - one way or another

Edited by chaos001

How anybody who isn't actually on the field standing in front of the players can tell how it sounds is beyond me.

The show was in a dome. Everyone sounded like a big pile of noise. And the Alamodome is acoustically good compared to the RCA Dome, Georgia Dome and the Silverdome!

Kinda fun to watch the guards in a dome, though. Perfect weather certainly helps them perform at their best.

Yes, I was there.

Stupid BD show? It didnt win the title for nothing. BD had a very strong year in 1996. Probably should have won outright, but thats another story.

Actually, I thought SCV was better than Phantom and Crown. I haven't ever thought Crown was better than Phantom before, so I was pleasantly surprised.

Great job to all the top 7 corps. One of the best overall top 7 ever

phantom has only been given the title once, in a tie with a decidely stupid bd show.

decidedly stupid ? how so ?

So, tell me what Phantom hasnt gotten that they should have, and that would be thirty + years, not twenty.

~G~