• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe it will just be them yelling "Mambo!"

hey a guy can hope

When you're a Cadet, you're a Cadet all the way

from your first sip of Kool Aid

to your last dying day................................

:shutup:

Well, I love the concept of them being the Holy Name Cadets for next year, and I really love the idea of Bernstein for their rep. My feeling is we will hear a mix of things, but I highly doubt the entire show will be West Side Story. They have already done that twice. I think many were hoping for some Copland and Appalachian Spring, but perhaps another time.

I can see them doing a spinoff of the show from 1990 (A Bernstein Celebration!) with Candide, Mass, Fancy Free, and other selections are chosen. Maybe even some Chichester Psalms and some Jeremiah Symphony.

I can also see them continuing their use of narration, even if minimized. They may try to tie everything into a story, or take the approach of historical perspective as they portray Bernstein.

As for announcing it now, my first reaction is recruiting, which is smart. It's at this time of year that more people are tuned into DCP and other message boards, including DCW and DCI's site, and it's this time of year that many non-marchers, who are looking for that perfect fit for them for next season, will be lurking and considering. In many ways, this is the best time to recruit, and for a corps like Cadets, in which there summer has not gone quite according to script, it pays to be early and open with plans.

Certainly there is nothing wrong with 4th or 5th place, and Bluecoats could even jump them. But all that said, I don't feel they are using this news as a way of softening the blow from this year, or to overshadow all the amazing hard work their current members are putting forth. I think all of us on DCP know that the members of all the corps are working hard, and we the fans must keep OUR focus on the current corps, including the current Cadets, for better or worse (knowing full well that many like the show and many do not).

When it comes to their marketing, I will say that I think they do it well, and they are very smart about how to generate lots of talk and how to push beyond mistakes and turn them into positives. And frankly, that's what we all have to do in this game called "life."

I would love the hear this played right - for once!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z_CZWtaZk0...feature=related

*on knees praying*

Please no singing... :shutup:

ed. note I love how he is just digging the @#$% out of letting them play!!!

Edited by Tansea

The article mentions that 2009 is "The 100th anniversary of Leonard Bernstein’s birth"

Bernstein was actually born in 1918, and this would be his 90th birthday this year...

Technicalities, really.

I am highly stoked for 2009.

The Cadets rehearse about 9 miles from where I live during the school year. If we learn that they will not be utilizing spoken word in this show I will very strongly consider attending the first audition camp.

Edited by Hrothgar15

Let's see -- bringing back the "Holy Name Cadets" for the anniversary. Bringing back Berstein music.

Hmmmm.... Maybe they'll bring back the days of straight ahead Zingali-drill type, in your face drum corps!!!!

Anywho -- how about bringing back the beautiful chorale for the brass during Berstein's Mass??

Can we make Barbara Maroney 18 again....or find someone to channel her???

The Cadets rehearse about 9 miles from where I live during the school year. If we learn that they will not be utilizing spoken word in this show I will very strongly consider attending the first audition camp.

unfortunately i doubt this will be the case. i'm hoping for a great show, but i have a feeling they will try to bring the (phrase used with a grain of salt) "best of both worlds" by blending old school Cadets Bernstein, with the new style of show design they've been using.

unfortunately i doubt this will be the case. i'm hoping for a great show, but i have a feeling they will try to bring the (phrase used with a grain of salt) "best of both worlds" by blending old school Cadets Bernstein, with the new style of show design they've been using.

I don't know. As I said in another post somewhere and eluded up top....it's one thing if you think you're cutting edge (not saying they are or aren't) and winning, or at least only losing to the one's you've lost to before, but once some new kid (Crown) shows up and starts beating you at your own old game, it's a bit of a wakeup call.

Then again, I could be way off base too.