Cavaliers hornline and design

I find it intersting this thread is started NOW when I think over the past 7 or 8 years, the past 2 have had more music/marching and playing than in years past.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it intersting this thread is started NOW when I think over the past 7 or 8 years, the past 2 have had more music/marching and playing than in years past.

Quoted for truth.

The last 2 years I have enjoyed the Cavies, which is amazing considering I really don't care about them. Drill with sound effects IMO.

I don't think their "formula" has anything to do with them not doing "so well" the past two years (and if 3rd is "not so well" I'd be proud to be a part of it). I don't think 07 was as visually stimulating as 00-06 were (the big visual hit wasn't very impressive). I thought this year was going down the same "simple"-esque path when I saw them in Kalamazoo but by Atlanta I was very impressed with all the visual and very Cavalier moves they'd put in. However, even the leaping-over-eachother move didn't strike me as impressive as, say, Fight Club, ladder circle of death, end of 007, most of Machine, etc. But I don't doubt they'll get their product they way the want it and they way we love it onto the field next season.

I like the Cavies and they have put out some top shows recently, maybe this is the year their winning formula caught up to them, you knew it was coming, they knew it was coming or at least implied by their 2007 show

Overall, I liked 2008; their finals version was pretty good but did not achieve the same performance level as we are use to seeing out of them – they peaked in quarters, after semi’s I remarked they really left the door open for blue devils and they only preformed slightly better on finals

Lets see, here you state you are a "huge" cavie fan, a few posts back you state you are a "huge" Phantom fan then you bag on their drill, calling it background and claiming "not to start anything"

You marched Cadets, you hate anything negative said about Cadets, fine, dont claim to be a huge anything and "just asking" when you are trolling.....

Geoffrey

PS: Kinda like the way 1997 Cadets played the hardest part of their opener, standing still ???

Watch out, this guy's on a rampage today.

Lets see, here you state you are a "huge" cavie fan, a few posts back you state you are a "huge" Phantom fan then you bag on their drill, calling it background and claiming "not to start anything"

You marched Cadets, you hate anything negative said about Cadets, fine, dont claim to be a huge anything and "just asking" when you are trolling.....

Geoffrey

PS: Kinda like the way 1997 Cadets played the hardest part of their opener, standing still ???

LOL!!!!

It's not like they couldn't play it on the move if Jeff had written the drill that way. :smile:

With Cavaliers.......

the percussion, especially pit, carries more of the music load than the brass line (they do it well....)

the brass rarely play demanding parts on the fly

the tacet time of the brass exceeds all competitors, and there is not much full ensemble brass playing in comparison

their dynamic range is limited compared to others

most of the effect of the show is generated via visual, not music....ie drill/guard with music accompaniment

Fortunately, the formula is growing old, and others with far more substance in the musical programs are

starting to prevail..............

GB

Winner!

This statement is certainly true of the last two years. There's no denying that visually the Cavies are very good, but they've become (dare I say) predictable. There are some talented musicians in the line (saw some at I & E), I just wish they'd play when they do some of their insane drill.

Example - about 1.5 minutes into their show this year the trumpets played one of their only technically demanding features (IMO), but they were parked at the front while the rest of the horns were on the move. Didn't make sense to me.

Please, try and find even one corps that didn't stand still while playing their most difficult passage. I can already think of moments in the Cadets and Crown shows where they did just that.

Please, try and find even one corps that didn't stand still while playing their most difficult passage. I can already think of moments in the Cadets and Crown shows where they did just that.

Exactly.

I tend to not look at that as their not being able to play the part and march it. I think of it as a mere effect. For example, Cadets 1997, they stood still for the opening run of their show. I think it has more effect that way vice marching it.

I really don't see why this is a problem. Cavies usually produce some great shows regardless of whether they move a lot or not.