hazing/misconduct

1 minute ago, Bluzes said:

I am sure you have and will continue to do so. You seem to have influence over dci somewhat, use it.

I think it's more in Jeff's case... being unafraid to speak up and call a spade a spade. In this day and age, that makes many individuals uncomfortable. :innocent:

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, WIS said:

Donations to a 501(c)3 are deductible if they are to a general fund (including general scholarship).  It follows this general explanation from the IRS Publication on Charitable Contributions.  As soon as you identify a specific individual to benefit the deduction is no longer valid.

"Contributions to Individuals You can't deduct contributions to specific individuals, including the following. Contributions to fraternal societies made for the purpose of paying medical or burial expenses of members. Contributions to individuals who are needy or worthy. You can't deduct these contributions even if you make them to a qualified organization for the benefit of a specific person. But you can deduct a contribution to a qualified organization that helps needy or worthy individuals if you don't indicate that your contribution is for a specific person. Example. You can deduct contributions to a qualified organization for flood relief, hurricane relief, or other disaster relief. However, you cannot deduct contributions earmarked  for relief of a particular individual or family."

As said earlier, you probably can say this is for a scholarship for a 5'8" individual of X descent from Main Street, State who plays tenors, without giving a name.  However, if you were audited by the IRS and they questioned the charitable contribution I would expect them  to deny the deduction.  It would be hard to argue that it wasn't for a specific person. 

The irony/hypocrisy here is talking up that it’s a tax deductible contribution (if it is or not is another issue). Then nothing is sent to the contributor so they can declare it.

fyi: use standard deduction anyway so I am not complaining that it hit my wallet because it did not

edit: too bad I didn’t get acknowledgment as that might have been interesting. I earmarked the money for a member but check went to the corps and paperwork had members name. Who knows what might have been on the receipt. From the check sure looked like I donated to the corps. Think check was made out to Support Our Pioneer Youth aka SOPY

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

Sure does.  They threaten you or try to characterize you as crazy. 

When you state facts simply and clearly and ask the right questions... well, it's impossible to use the "crazy person" strategy. Threats, yes.

I was under the impression that with the new tax code, itemized deductions for individual returns are no longer. 

Whether or not you can still "gift" money up to a certain amount and have it be tax deductible, I don't know.

When I donated to my family corps a couple weeks ago,.I did so through my corporation knowing I could tax deduct it through that rather than through my personal paycheck.

Edited by BoyWonder1911

50 minutes ago, BigW said:

Yes, I know they have an open door policy for membership and what that means, but I'd think with the right infrastructure, management, and staff in place, they could break a 70 by now and beat a couple of corps at least. Something's not right there on multiple levels.

I don’t personally know folks from Pioneer, I have never watched them rehearse, and I do not believe I know anyone who has marched with them, so what I know is not first hand. That being said, I do sit with folks in Indy who know the organization well and mention positives about the corps, particularly the close bonds between members and a family like feeling at the corps. Which can be positive and negative. Sometimes in a family like organization, speaking up can be more difficult.  Pioneer does try and find a home for everyone, but I’m not sure that’s why they place below 70 so consistently. The argument has been the corps has talent, but the talent is not used that well, and rehearsal time is not managed well. Having the talent does make sense since Pioneer has often fared well in individual and ensemble contests.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Sure does.  They threaten you or try to characterize you as crazy. 

It's an art being able to back trolls & shills into a corner. Me personally I have a tons of experience & fun posting on GLP & Reedit making them look stupid and frustrated when they can't get to me with personal insults. I have a wife for that and she's way better at it than the whole lot put together.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, BoyWonder1911 said:

I was under the impression that with the new tax code, itemized deductions for individual returns are no longer. 

Whether or not you can still "gift" money up to a certain amount and have it be tax deductible, I don't know.

When I donated to my family corps a couple weeks ago,.I did so through my corporation knowing I could tax deduct it through that rather than through my personal paycheck.

Itemized deductions are still available - but have been drastically cut back.  Only $10,000 of state and local taxes.  Mortgage interest is still deductible. But you can now donate up to 60% of AGI to charitable organizations.

The severe limitation to state and local taxes will push most people to the standard deduction, then there really is no federal tax benefit to charitable donations.  There may still be state tax benefits, depending on where you live.  People think that the increase in the standard deduction is great - until they see that they lost the personal exemptions for themselves and their children.

• Thanks 1

If I may, to sum up the situation. There are two corps that came under scrutiny one since last year and the other early spring.The latter is center stage in this thread.  The other corps is already on the right path with corrective actions in place but that is the one on probation and the primary discussion corps is not. Where does the forum stand on any of this? Have they performed spot inspections of the probation corps, did they seek out input from the MMs anywhere on the tour or is probation at dci just lip service. Inquiring and concerned minds would like to know?

Edited by Bluzes