hazing/misconduct

9 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

Correct silly us thinking last year that a lousy soundboard cutting out show after show was why we felt sorry for all the hard work going to waste. Ignorance is bliss.  

Please correct the quote that you responded to in your post! corps8294 made the statement. I did NOT!

1 hour ago, corps8294 said:

Who would want to take on the task of reshaping, rebranding, and rebuilding Pioneer? You are dealing with a director who has garden gnomes in his yard that are painted to look like leprechauns, for crying out loud. And the director isn't even Irish! Granted, all the issues that have been recently brought up are more serious than their caricature Irish everything image. 

The Irish comes from the fact one of the corps that merged to form Pioneer had St. Patrick in it’s name. As to who would take it over, assuming there is not a huge amount of debt, Pioneer would be a great corps for a younger person with vision who could be guided by someone with experience. It would also be great for someone who likes a challenge and has the qualifications to run a drum corps. The person would also need to be someone who can make tough decisions quickly, but rescuing Pioneer is not a lost cause.

Regarding Pioneer’s version of Irish, I have suggested for years they focus on being Irish as the Irish see themselves and not as Americans see the Irish. Lots of great music if you look to Celtic sources and years ago they did have some great musical choices. I’m still trying to figure out how last year’s version of Les Miserables was Irish on Broadway, though I did enjoy the show. Joan of Arc wasn’t all that Irish either, though I suppose she did fight the English which would given her credibility in Ireland prior to the peace accords!

• Like 3

They need to do a show based on the movie Leprechaun. Then I'll be impressed.

I want me gold, me lad!!!!!

• Haha 1

Actually the Pioneers (that’s what they were called in 1974) came from a merger of the St. Pat’s imperials and the Cedarburg Mercury Thunderbolts.  They wore both uniforms and were called The Thing in 1973.  I have a picture of The Thing but it won’t allow me to convert to url. 

And I don’t remember anything particularly Irish about them back then.  In fact, they had a wagon wheel on their flags and equipment truck.  Like pioneers in covered wagons wheels. 

I think the whole irish theme started in the mid ‘90’s when they were a division 3 corps. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Barneveld said:

Please correct the quote that you responded to in your post! corps8294 made the statement. I did NOT!

Sorry will delete right now once I find it. 

33 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Actually the Pioneers (that’s what they were called in 1974) came from a merger of the St. Pat’s imperials and the Cedarburg Mercury Thunderbolts.  They wore both uniforms and were called The Thing in 1973.  I have a picture of The Thing but it won’t allow me to convert to url. 

And I don’t remember anything particularly Irish about them back then.  In fact, they had a wagon wheel on their flags and equipment truck.  Like pioneers in covered wagons wheels. 

I think the whole irish theme started in the mid ‘90’s when they were a division 3 corps. 

1990 was when the "Everything Irish" began. They had a breakout year in Div III that year. New uniforms and a new image. It was fine for a couple years; but then they started theming all of their shows Irish and every program had to abide by what Roman wanted. '93 saw them enter Div II. They had a lot of success as a Div II corps; however, the Irish everything was starting to become the brunt of jokes in the activity, despite how talented the corps was. In '97 they moved up to Div I and performed Riverdance. It was a more mature show for them and many thought that show would be their last venture with the whole Irish shtick. Along comes '98; they had a full 128 member strong corps and, perhaps, their most talented. The show was called "Irish In Your Face." Not only was it a total caricature of who they were; they were also trying to be a corps they could never hope to match...the great 27th Lancers. Many people called them "the Irish Two-Seven" that summer. After '98, membership dropped significantly and the whole Irish fetish only worsened. The corps would remain small and as the years progressed their place in the rankings would continuously drop. They could never retain young and talented staff because of the restrictions on creativity and show design. Not forgetting to mention how the days and tour were scheduled. Now, here we are, all these years later and Pioneer has done nothing to better themselves or become more than what they are. It can also be said that in the '90s, DCM finals were constantly structured to make sure Pioneer appeared in the night show; no matter how good or bad they were. 

• Like 2

Thanks!  The’90’s are a bit fuzzy for me.  Raising a child...

but said child was in Capital Sound by 1999, a corps that more than often outscored Pioneer but was almost always excluded from the night show in Dekalb while every single open class corps made finals. So Pioneer would make finals.   (Open class now world class).

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

The Irish comes from the fact one of the corps that merged to form Pioneer had St. Patrick in it’s name. As to who would take it over, assuming there is not a huge amount of debt, Pioneer would be a great corps for a younger person with vision who could be guided by someone with experience. It would also be great for someone who likes a challenge and has the qualifications to run a drum corps. The person would also need to be someone who can make tough decisions quickly, but rescuing Pioneer is not a lost cause.

Regarding Pioneer’s version of Irish, I have suggested for years they focus on being Irish as the Irish see themselves and not as Americans see the Irish. Lots of great music if you look to Celtic sources and years ago they did have some great musical choices. I’m still trying to figure out how last year’s version of Les Miserables was Irish on Broadway, though I did enjoy the show. Joan of Arc wasn’t all that Irish either, though I suppose she did fight the English which would given her credibility in Ireland prior to the peace accords!

I believe RB's issue is being groomed as his successor.

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

When I marched in the early 80's we called them Pioneers (with an s) just to irritate them

• Haha 1