Restarting the Madison Jr. Scouts

Close -

DCI will pay an Open Class corps for shows they partcipate in that considered WORLD CLASS SHOWS (Rockford, Toledo, Naperville, etc).

DCI will NOT pay for Open Class ONLY shows (Dubuque's Music on the March 2, Racine Scouts show in Wilmot, Dayton, etc).

The reason for this is that the Open Class shows are charged considerably more by DCI to host. Since Open Class only shows pay a much smaller fee, there is no money to pay corps that attend. Which is why last season many Open Class corps chose to participate in World Class shows instead of Open shows when both were offered on the same day.

Pretty ridiculous...I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing Open Class explore moving to DCA - seems that they have a respect for all levels of participants.

Thank you for taking your time in telling me these things. It almost sounds to me that DCI is Doing to Open Class what DCI did to DCM. DCI will pay a Corps more money to attend a DCI Show that is held on the same day. A Corps would be a fool to not take the money. If this is the trend than maybe DCA would need to be looked into by more Open Class Corps. If a Open Class Drum and Bugle Corps went to DCA would that Corps get paid?

Dean

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard nothing of fines, just debt. Very interesting! I wonder if Dan A. knows about this rumer. Until I hear it from the big boys, it is all rumer.

Prove it, then spread the rumers. Capitol Sound is inactive-they have debt. I aim to help.

Jason

2009 MADISON SCOUTS RULE!

It's too bad that DCI has no motivation to help Cap Sound, but has motivation to fine them.

Dave,

I think that one is unfair to DCI. Yes, the fines are "on the books", but as others have posted they have gotten waived at least in part before. It would be putting the cart before the horse, IMO, to waive them before there is even any attempt to rejoin DCI....there isn't even a viable CORPS yet. What kind of signal would that send to any other organization that chooses not to compete after agreeing in writing TO compete, and then wants to rejoin in a subsequent season.

Dave,

I think that one is unfair to DCI. Yes, the fines are "on the books", but as others have posted they have gotten waived at least in part before. It would be putting the cart before the horse, IMO, to waive them before there is even any attempt to rejoin DCI....there isn't even a viable CORPS yet. What kind of signal would that send to any other organization that chooses not to compete after agreeing in writing TO compete, and then wants to rejoin in a subsequent season.

I guess I was reacting to the postings showing that DCI is including open class in their shows less and less. If DCI was to help, why couldn't they say, "hey Cap Sound, we see that finances are the issue, so we will waive the fines. We hope to see you on the field as soon as reasonably possible." Why make them sit with the fines looming over them if they are going to reduce or recind them anyway?

I guess I was reacting to the postings showing that DCI is including open class in their shows less and less. If DCI was to help, why couldn't they say, "hey Cap Sound, we see that finances are the issue, so we will waive the fines. We hope to see you on the field as soon as reasonably possible." Why make them sit with the fines looming over them if they are going to reduce or recind them anyway?

I think that DCI doing anything with the fines now, before there is even a viable corps, and then having Cap Sound never reapply, sets a very poor precedent for other cases that may happen down the road. At least now they are still "on the books" so no one else can come along and use them as a precedent before anything has even happened on the corps end.

Just a guess.

Close -

DCI will pay an Open Class corps for shows they partcipate in that considered WORLD CLASS SHOWS (Rockford, Toledo, Naperville, etc).

DCI will NOT pay for Open Class ONLY shows (Dubuque's Music on the March 2, Racine Scouts show in Wilmot, Dayton, etc).

The reason for this is that the Open Class shows are charged considerably more by DCI to host. Since Open Class only shows pay a much smaller fee, there is no money to pay corps that attend. Which is why last season many Open Class corps chose to participate in World Class shows instead of Open shows when both were offered on the same day.

Pretty ridiculous...I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing Open Class explore moving to DCA - seems that they have a respect for all levels of participants.

Ah...it's the annual...Open Class corps should join DCA argument. THEY DON'T WANT TO. That's the simple answer. It's almost like a battered spouce in some wierd way too. I think Open Class should find some new home...move on...go to DCA, wherever. It is proving more and more each year that Open Class corps members are not moving up the ladder to World Class in any great numbers. Many of the members of Open Class prefer the level of competition, rehearsal schedule and dollar committment in the current structure than going to a World Class corps anyway. Outside the feeder corps (Colts, SCV and BD) I would expect the tie between Open and World Class corps is all but severed.

So, why don't they want to stay with DCI? Could it be the Capital Regiment, Academy, Blue Stars, Jersey Surf phenomenon? "Hey....we can be the next Jersey Surf in two to three years?" I don't know. But, at least at present, the thought of one day being a World Class corps is more inticing than joining DCA or forming a new circuit of their own...so they continue to choose the path laid out for them instead of laying their own path.

Ah...it's the annual...Open Class corps should join DCA argument. THEY DON'T WANT TO. That's the simple answer. It's almost like a battered spouce in some wierd way too. I think Open Class should find some new home...move on...go to DCA, wherever. It is proving more and more each year that Open Class corps members are not moving up the ladder to World Class in any great numbers. Many of the members of Open Class prefer the level of competition, rehearsal schedule and dollar committment in the current structure than going to a World Class corps anyway. Outside the feeder corps (Colts, SCV and BD) I would expect the tie between Open and World Class corps is all but severed.

So, why don't they want to stay with DCI? Could it be the Capital Regiment, Academy, Blue Stars, Jersey Surf phenomenon? "Hey....we can be the next Jersey Surf in two to three years?" I don't know. But, at least at present, the thought of one day being a World Class corps is more inticing than joining DCA or forming a new circuit of their own...so they continue to choose the path laid out for them instead of laying their own path.

Junior corps (no matter what division) don't have a option to simply decide they are going to be DCA corps and just do it. All corps have to go through a evalution process with DCA to be even considered for membership, much less become a member.

I think that DCI doing anything with the fines now, before there is even a viable corps, and then having Cap Sound never reapply, sets a very poor precedent for other cases that may happen down the road. At least now they are still "on the books" so no one else can come along and use them as a precedent before anything has even happened on the corps end.

Just a guess.

I see your point.