Michael "Cozy" Baker Passes Away

JohnD

I met Cozy at retreat of DCA Finals in 2002. Our percussion arranger, John Campese, brough him over before scores were announced to talk with me about marching a foreign corps as part of a possible DCW article. The first thing he said to me was "You're going to like what happens tonight. That's all I'm going to say."

He talked with me a little bit about what it was like being in Inspires. One of his first questions was how I came to march with them. I told him I was stationed over there in the Navy. I told him a little bit about what I had done in the Navy, and he mentioned that he had flown in the Navy. We had a nice conversation about drum corps and the Navy. Would really liked to have talked with him again. In our short conversation I could tell what a great guy he was.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was fortunate enough to have met Cozy at DCA in 2006. He hung out and partied with us in our room at the Doubletree, and was quite possibly one of the last ones to leave. Quirky, witty, and unbelievably nice. He will be missed.

My last email from Cozy was Nov 6th. His chatty letter was giving and generous. He encouraged me to write articles for Drum Corps World and concluded with: "I love it when I pull my DCW out of the mailbox and see a "Mav" byline! Happy holidays! Cozy" Who wouldn't want to be around such a kind heart?

Our last encounter was under the scoreboard at DCI in Bloomington this past summer. We ran into each other as Bluecoats were taking the field. Asked how Ed was, laughed when I told him Ed was actually with us, pointing above our heads. (Ed was running the scoreboard.)

Enthusiastic, warm, quirky, and always wanting to motivate, Cozy was an icon for both DCI and DCA. Even his name 'Cozy' made you feel welcome and warm. Forever a kindred spirit. But now there is just sadness. Tears. And a longing to see you just one more time. To talk and chat and laugh. We will miss you something fierce.

With love,

Mav

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane

I'd walk up to Heaven and bring you home again.

But God saw you getting tired and relief was not to be,

So He put His arms around you and whispered "Come with Me."

With Tearful eyes we watched you suffer and fade away

And although we could not bear to lose you, we could not ask you to stay.

A golden heart stopped beating, hard-working hands laid to rest;

God broke our hearts to prove to us, He only takes the best.

Cozy had the most infuriating way of being in the wrong place in the drill at any given time. But he always had a interesting story of why he was at that place at that particular moment.

Rest in peace My Brother.

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,

And never brought to mind ?

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,

And days o' lang syne ?

For auld lang syne, my jo,

For auld lang syne,

We’ll tak a cup o’ kindness yet,

For auld lang syne.

And surely ye’ll be your pint-stowp !

And surely I’ll be mine !

And we’ll tak a cup o’ kindness yet,

For auld lang syne.

We twa hae run about the braes,

And pu’d the gowans fine ;

But we’ve wander’d mony a weary foot,

Sin auld lang syne.

We twa hae paidl’d i' the burn,

Frae morning sun till dine ;

But seas between us braid hae roar’d

Sin auld lang syne.

And there’s a hand, my trusty fiere !

And gie's a hand o’ thine !

And we’ll tak a right gude-willy waught,

For auld lang syne.

Edited by JCSeymour

Farewell Cozy. Thank you for the stories and laughter.

I met Cozy years ago when Mitzi and I were writing the "He Said, She Said" column for Drum Corps World, and enjoyed many a conversation with him both in and out of drum corps season. As the line says, "You gotta have a gimmick". Cozy had one - his distinctive writing style that could not be mistaken for anyone else in corpsdom. In order to do a good job of reporting on an activity like ours you need to connect with lots of people, and Cozy had that knack. Who doesn't enjoy seeing their name in print in a positive light - I sure did when my name would turn up in one of his columns.

Finally, I appreciate the service that Cozy gave to our country and trust that he will receive military honors as he is laid to rest.

My heart is saddened by this great loss.

On behalf of DCA-SOUTH and its member Corps', our condolences to Cozy's family and to the thousands in his "drum corps" family

Cozy was a huge supporter of DCA-South, always giving the corps' in the Region a boost thru his columns in print as well as thru conversations he would have with corps and people outside the Region, always telling them what we have accomplished and are continuing to accomplish. And it is correct, he may have not known your name, but he always knew what corps you were with !

At our shows, he was always there to lend a helping hand, or jump into a spot to help. somewhere, somehow, he found the time. And who could forget the advice he would give to the young in our activity! Sometimes, maybe a little too much advice..lol

RIP Cozy! You will be missed, but never forgotten

Edited by DCASouth