What bugs you...

eh... i get your beef, but i don't consider drum corps a sport, because no competitor has any means of affecting the performance of any other competitor.

you can't put your hand in front of the blue devils' alto line, or throw a body block on a cavaliers end-point.

hmm, whats that word im looking for?

oh

slotting :troll food:

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But then I see this caption on the promo site, featuring the "S" word: "Students pose for a shot after last year's edition of 'The Countdown.'" Apparently, DCI is framing it as more of a 'student' event than a 'fan' event. What about us legacy students?

I guess its for students, not alumni............ :angry:

GAME: Find the straw man in the above quote.

Seriously, this always irks me (on topic it seems). Redefining an argument just so it can be shot down. While I am sure there are some rare individuals who think this, the VAST majority of dinosaurs don't want drum corps to remain unchanged. We are not against any and all changes but are at times, decidedly against some changes based on their merit and their effect on the integrity of the activity. There is a big difference here.

I agree, there's a difference between what each of us are talking about. What you said is true; as another member pointed out earlier, being against one change does not mean that you're against all change. But that's not really what I was getting at. My statement really wasn't intended to have anything to do with any specific change - such as amplification, for example - but rather was a comment on the style of drum corps as a whole.

If you've spent any time at all on DCP then you've undoubtedly come across individuals who honestly believe that drum corps was never more entertaining than it was when they were marching. I've read plenty of posts by individuals who want drum corps to return to the style of the 70's, or 80's, or even early 90's. Some still hold a grudge against Star of Indiana because they believe Star pushed drum corps from a visceral activity to a more intellectual activity. These are the types of individuals I was calling out in the text you quoted. I wasn't redefining any argument, I was responding to real attitudes that I've seen expressed on these boards, and I bet that you have too.

But then I see this caption on the promo site, featuring the "S" word: "Students pose for a shot after last year's edition of 'The Countdown.'" Apparently, DCI is framing it as more of a 'student' event than a 'fan' event. What about us legacy students?

What about DCI's need to survive, and marketing to get people to join it's ranks? That picture is of a bunch of high school students, some of whom, are now going to march DCI after being exposed to it in such a great event.

every time the video shows the pit when something awesome is happening on the feild

Hornlines that sound like PIPE ORGANS rather than Hornlines that provide a visceral experience for the listener!

Edited by Big Bad Bari

INT bugs me to no end.

People who whine and complain about the various changes in the rules since they marched...who lived through all sorts of changes when they themselves were marching.

Mike Davis bugs me

not to mention a "visceral" experience....

come to think of it, any brass section that can recreate a pipe organ sound would be awesome

Hornlines that sound like PIPE ORGANS rather than Hornlines that provide a viseral experience for the listener!

Ok, what bugs me:

Wide people in bleacher seating - if your rear end takes up two seats, buy two tickets, cause you're forcing the people next to you to give up half of their seat.

Well "I'm" the guy who DOES buy two seats to make sure I have plenty of room.

Now, Are you the guy that sits in front of me and opens an umbrella when there is a slight mist ?

If so, I'm the one who lights a cigarette and blows smoke under it..............

:angry:

By the way, it's pronounced "LORD ### " not lard ###.