And the results are....

I went to these things when they showed the 70's - 00 shows, and while I got a big kick out of seeing some of those great old school shows on the big screen with drum corps fans, the quality was not that good. The video was kind of dark and grainy (especially with the 70's/early 80's groups) and the sound was muffled and weak. I didn't mind it too much because they were shows that I grew up loving, but I recally sitting there thinking "this isn't much better than my old VHS tapes of that show" more than one time. While I dug those Countdowns for the variety of corps/years represtened, I respect DCI for only bringing us their best audio/video choices.

Should be a fun Countdown

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. I am so tired of always seeing the top 6-7 corps highlighted in everything. I think I'll start going to just the first half of contests and then go watch those corps eat in the lot, pack, etc. :rolleyes: .

Watching them eat, pack, etc in the lot, could probably be a lot more interesting than the show... just saying...

Since I sense a lot of bitterness in this thread... everyone take a look at the "I love DCI" thread... and post what you love about current day junior corps.

But seriously... if people don't want to go, then let them not go, you don't have to PERSONALLY bash them for not going... calm down.

I'm not going... i would have more fun inviting a crap load of people over my house and watching every show from 2000-2008... which I very well might do... it's will be a long day, but a great one.

And about the audio/video.... i thought the audio/video of 89 vanguard wasn't any different than what I get on my DVD... which makes complete sense.. and is no reason to not show it? I would elaborate.. but I feel this topic has been beat over the head.. and others has expressed my opinion already, if not in this thread but another.

While I have all of these shows on DVD already, I'm thinking about taking my kids to the show - I think they'd get a kick out of the atmosphere in the theater, and honestly - my TV at home can't compete with a movie screen.

Oh yeah, and they're going to show us some of Madison's 2009 show there, too.

Mike

Firstly, you're obviously a little tense. This is supposed to be fun, right? Secondly, you can't possibly equate the experience of watching something on a computer screen in your basement to watching and hearing something on a movie theater screen, mastered specifically for an auditorium setting. Thirdly, yes, I do want you to support something you don't agree with. It happens every day in a democracy. DCI asks its fans what they want, and we the people tell them we want better quality video and audio. So, they offer us a selection of shows from the best audio and video they have, and we the people get to pick which shows we want. The kids who marched over the past few summers – the age group most likely to want to go to the movies on a Wednesday night to begin with – haven't had the chance yet to sit with their friends and watch the show on a big screen. Sure, it's been on the DVD player in my living room since the day it got here, but it's obviously not the same as sitting in a digital movie theater.

And if you were to invite me to see your band, and if I was in your area, I WOULD actually come to see it. Why? Because a few of you marched in drum corps.

Lighten up, dude. Here's a gift from me to you: A great day for skajerk

First, what makes me tense is when people come on and say we HAVE to support DCI. We don't HAVE to do anything! We CAN do anything we like (to a point) with this being a free country and all, yeah? And although Mike removed it as a personal attack, the "jerk" in my SN comes form a Bob Marley tune called Ska Jerk. Thanks for playing.

Second, I don't have a basement. I use my 60" flat screen LCD TV and home theater system to watch the the Fan Network and/or DVD's which works just fine. I'd much rather watch the shows I choose to watch at home rather than pay to see shows I don't want which leads to...

Third, this democracy also means I can protest as well, yeah? DCI asked what the "fans" wanted. The "fans" chose. I'm choosing not to go. Funny how that works out, yeah?

Lastly, I'll repeat what I said earlier. I don't expect anyone to go see my band play simply because we may have marched before. I think that is simply ridiculous. You could tell me that Ozzy Osbourne marched with Phantom but that's not going to make me go, "Wow! Ozzy marched in Phantom! I have to see him to show him my support". I would MUCH rather have you go because you like our music instead. You can keep your faux support to yourself, IMO.

Seriously? You want me to support something I don't agree with? You want me to fork out money to see shows that are less than 6 years old and shows that I can watch anytime I want through the the Fan Network or the DVD's? Really??

Sorry, you go right ahead and offer your support. That's great! But until it gets back to the format where shows that are older then my kids are shown (that would be 13+ years), it's just not worth it to me. Just like I wouldn't expect you to go and see my band play a gig just because a few of us marched in drum corps. I'll be more than happy to support The Countdown if it ever goes back to that format. As much as I loved Phantom and Blue Stars last year or Crown and Bluecoats from the year before, I'm not going to fork out money to see shows that are still in my recent memory just to make nice with the kiddies and say "Ain't DCI grand?". I'd rather spend the money on a night out with my family doing something we'd all enjoy.

The way I look at it is, if we want DCI to survive or not be radically downgraded then we support it in ALL Situations. I for one agree with some of the other posters on here. My t.v. and sound system still do not provide the same experience as the big screen with good surround sound. And I watch good shows over and over again anyway. I choose to think of my dollars supporting the Kids experience and not the powers that be.

First, what makes me tense is when people come on and say we HAVE to support DCI. We don't HAVE to do anything! We CAN do anything we like (to a point) with this being a free country and all, yeah? And although Mike removed it as a personal attack, the "jerk" in my SN comes form a Bob Marley tune called Ska Jerk. Thanks for playing.

Second, I don't have a basement. I use my 60" flat screen LCD TV and home theater system to watch the the Fan Network and/or DVD's which works just fine. I'd much rather watch the shows I choose to watch at home rather than pay to see shows I don't want which leads to...

Third, this democracy also means I can protest as well, yeah? DCI asked what the "fans" wanted. The "fans" chose. I'm choosing not to go. Funny how that works out, yeah?

I agree with the above 100%. If you don't like something...don't go. And yes, you can comment/protest about the show all you want here on DCP. The same applies to supporting DCI in general. if you don't like what the DCI corps do...don't go to their shows or purchase their stuff. I certainlty wouldn't go to something I actively dislike...not should anyone feel obligated to do the same.

I went to these things when they showed the 70's - 00 shows, and while I got a big kick out of seeing some of those great old school shows on the big screen with drum corps fans, the quality was not that good. The video was kind of dark and grainy (especially with the 70's/early 80's groups) and the sound was muffled and weak. I didn't mind it too much because they were shows that I grew up loving, but I recally sitting there thinking "this isn't much better than my old VHS tapes of that show" more than one time. While I dug those Countdowns for the variety of corps/years represtened, I respect DCI for only bringing us their best audio/video choices.

Should be a fun Countdown

I'll probably be going and will have fun doing it, but wish there was a way to see some of the old shows on the big screen. Maybe DCI could do a couple of featurettes interspersed... Bridgemen's Land of Make Believe; Scout's Macarthur Park; etc.... other old time highlights.

The way I look at it is, if we want DCI to survive or not be radically downgraded then we support it in ALL Situations. I for one agree with some of the other posters on here. My t.v. and sound system still do not provide the same experience as the big screen with good surround sound. And I watch good shows over and over again anyway. I choose to think of my dollars supporting the Kids experience and not the powers that be.

And that is just fine for you, but I would not expect my own reason for going (or not going) to apply to anyone else but me. I tend to agree with you, but for others that do not...that is fine for them.

Wait a minute... Mike and I agree on something? What's goin' on here??? :rolleyes: