Hardest show music

I started this topic to ask all what they think the hardest show (musically) of all time was

I wanna make it into two groups percussion and brass

If you want you can add in the marching diffuculty of the show as well

I think The Academy upper brass section has played difficult stuff the last three seasons.

The early nineties Star stuff seems tough

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recently:

Academy, '06 closer

Bluecoats, '07, until they got the hose

I still think the most difficult hornline excerpt I've ever heard is the opening statement of Cadets 1997. Sure, lots of hornlines do runs, but runs that go for about 16 measures are mostly unison lip slurs? Yeah, Cadets '97 FTmfW.

Bingo. This is EXACTLY what I was thinking. Those slurs are what made that run amazing IMO.

Ill second Academy 06. I couldnt believe the "Bumble Bee" quote

I'd have to go with 01 SCV and New Era. Short Ride in a Fast Machine worked out their tongues, then Jug Blues and Fat Pickin worked out their fingers then they had to play long tones in Variants on a Medieval Tune and sound like they haven't done anything all day then at the end of all this, they had to chant LOUD enough the New Era part that it would fill up Ralph Wilson Stadium in Buffalo, NY.

1980 Spirit Sweet Georgia Brown 'nuff said! :huh2::tongue::smile:

Cadets 97 seems to be the popular answer and its hard to disagree.... the demand the y had visually really highlights how hard the book was. 93 Cadets still comes to mind, too. I really think 08 Phantom should get some love too for what they were asked to do from an exposure standpoint. "difficulty" is a relative term. If you were standing still, looking at the book, it's entirely different as opposed to what they're asked to do while playing it. Ex...93 BD was fantastic, but the hardest stuff was done by the brass ensemble standing in the pit.