An email I got from YEA

I guess this email is subject to a lot of misinterpretation.

YEA posts information much like a church bulletin. They try to give as much information and act as a COMMUNITY, rather than a BUSINESS. They're way too transparent to be all business.

Huh? If XXXXX doesn't do YYYYY, all is fair? Just because I feel outraged (my term, not Tristan's) I can do as I please - to hell with the consequences?

I think we should set the standard a bit higher. Our response to any situation - legitimate or otherwise - is a personal matter. Personal upset alone isn't justification for any action we subsequently take.

... And while I agree there should be consequences for poor choices, I would hope we might avoid the consequences for a poor choice to engage on someone else's alleged poor choice.

Again, not presuming to speak for Tristan, but perhaps the above is what he was getting at by posting in the first place.

<snip>

In the world we live today, it is, and perhaps should not be enough, to depart a public institution with no notice ... at all ... before a crucial season, and have the action met with " Mary Lou Departed the company today due to unspoken circumstances" Perhaps there should be a consequence for an action? If a school teacher quits and walks out of the classroom, or a corps director leaves today, or a politician suddenly resigns, there is a reaction ... no?

As I teach the Cadets, life is determined by the decisions we make. When we say YES, when we say NO --- these decisions frame our world! if we chose to drive drunk, if we cheat, if we help a person across the street, if we fall asleep driving ... ALL actions frame who we are!! and sometimes, all of the regret in the world cannot change what occurred.

We do not control the reactions of others. We control our response to the actions! BUT .. we may also wish to be aware that there is a response to the actions we take. That said ... we have made the change, we are up and running, and all involved will have a grand and happy life.

<snip>

Have the best summer!!!!

As always, Mr. Hopkins, I appreciate your direct and honest responses here on DCP. I haven't kept up on this thread, although I have scanned it.

That said, there is one area that I'm not sure has been addressed much. While I agree in principle with the part of your post that I quoted above, what has struck me about all this was wrapped up in your first phrase here, "In the world we live today ....".

I agree about how people SHOULD be held accountable and how people SHOULD have to answer for the consequences of their actions. I'm with you on that. Reality, though, sometimes doesn't see things that way. The part about calling someone out for leaving short notice doesn't bother me so much. The part, though, that made me sit up was the line about it being a perfect job for a 24-year old or something like that. That was the line that could be troublesome, imo. (btw, just for reference, I've been a CFO and often in charge of HR and legal issues throughout my career, so that's where my "red flag mentality" comes from).

Anyway, pointing out that a job is perfect for a 24-year old could get you in trouble if you do, in fact, hire a 24 year old instead of, say, a 50 year old who applies. Or even just to disincentivize a 50-year old from applying. You get my point, I hope. Just realities of this world we live in -- my advice is to be careful of how you solicit for a job as anything that can be construed to disadvantage one party against another, will be so contrued, that's all.

Have the best summer, yourself :tongue:

I'm sorry, but there's some basic rules of business ethics that were ignored or violated here. And, not to try to be in any way condescending, but, if you're in your 20's, I wouldn't expect you to be thinking this way. Hop and I are about the same age. I've been in business for a long time. You don't, you just don't, send around an email trashing someone who quits. And for a bookeeper, for heaven's sake. I'm sorry you feel like they put you in a bad spot. I'm sorry you're upset. Get over it. Move on. You do NOT put pen to paper and document something in this way. This is not 1975. It's 2009. People like Hop and I should be expected to set the example. One example of this would be to respond Professionally to this situation. This person's quitting was handled very unprofessionally. Yes, life's about choices. But, also, life's not fair. You don't get what you want sometimes, or maybe most of the time. It's what you do about that that builds your character, or reveals your character.

Hop should have known better than to humour you all by posting. That's the only mistake I see here.

LOL.

"Oh, great drum corps paragons of design and administration, thou hast deigned to answer my plea. Truly, fortune smiles brightly upon yon unwashed masses this morn."

One other point to Mr. Hopkins re: my post a couple above:

Just want to make sure that you're aware of your own advice, there -- that YOUR actions have consequences and will elicit a response. I'm sure that you do -- just pointing out that while you may feel justified in calling out your previous employee in response to her actions, your action in doing just that may give a potential new hire pause as to whether they want to open themselves up a possible future similarity. I assume you're looking for the best talent that fits your budget, etc., so just be aware that how you solicit that postion and how you present the situation and talk about ex-employees could have an effect (response) of turning away potential good hires, that's all.

If you're comfortable with that potentiality and feel it's more important to hold up this standard of personal responsibility and cause/effect, then so be it, -- that's your perogative, and other than the issue I raised above, I have no further comment.

Good Luck with your new hire!!! :tongue:

(Edit: In many cases above, by "you", I mean YEA, of course, as I have no idea who actually penned the solicitation ...)

Edited by Liam

Wow...my reply disappeared quickly. Lol Guess I crossed a line somewhere. Oh well... :tongue:

(I must've misspelled narcissism. :tongue:)

Edited by BigBadMadMan

Tristan ???

You sent an e mail to me?

Really ?

I answer most every e mail I receive, and it is many ... I would be stunned if I did indeed receive it and I did not respond.

Perhaps it went to my trash? it does happen?

As for the article, which was mailed to YEA! fans and friends, and the slightly altered article, that ran on the website ... I really am not going to comment. The article ran, we received 50 interested responses and we hired someone today who will begin July 8th. Those within our community know what what was said is but 1/2 the truth. The article was honest, pointed and spoke as intended.

In the world we live today, it is, and perhaps should not be enough, to depart a public institution with no notice ... at all ... before a crucial season, and have the action met with " Mary Lou Departed the company today due to unspoken circumstances" Perhaps there should be a consequence for an action? If a school teacher quits and walks out of the classroom, or a corps director leaves today, or a politician suddenly resigns, there is a reaction ... no?

As I teach the Cadets, life is determined by the decisions we make. When we say YES, when we say NO --- these decisions frame our world! if we chose to drive drunk, if we cheat, if we help a person across the street, if we fall asleep driving ... ALL actions frame who we are!! and sometimes, all of the regret in the world cannot change what occurred.

We do not control the reactions of others. We control our response to the actions! BUT .. we may also wish to be aware that there is a response to the actions we take. That said ... we have made the change, we are up and running, and all involved will have a grand and happy life.

By the way Tristan, what value did u see in posting this? If the action was inappropriate, why would you wish to further shed attention to the past bookkeeper?

Would it not be best, a month after the fact, to allow the situation to stay inactive? Or ... would there be another reason I am unaware of?

I am a bit curious?

Have the best summer!!!!

so a family member being very ill is not ok?