What was the first drum corps show you attended?

Lawrence North High School, Indianapolis - July 1981

First time I'd seen 27th Lancers in person. I'd seen the 1980 Finals on videotape and played 27 over and over and over. Being a "guardie", I was hooked on that flag and rifle line! Oh-so-bada--!

Anyway, at LNHS, just when 27 was to take the field, the front stadium lights went out. Only the back stadium lights were lit. After a 15-minute delay to see what the problem was, 27 decided there was enough light to perform with just the back lights. Needless to say, when those flags started flying (the tri-colored - red, black, yellow - with streamers), it looked like the guard was spinning fire! WAY COOL! People were throwing babies!

THAT is when I became a HUGE 27th Lancers fan!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fast forward to 1984, and I went to the Drums Along the Rockies show in Cheyenne. Why? Because my band director told us we should go. I remember Troopers, the Dons, River City Railmen (almost the biggest standing O of the night when they played the UPRR song - Cheyenne's a big UP town). PR, possibly BD and SCV, and a corps I think was Kiwanis Kavaliers (wearing kilts, IIRC).

That wasn't DATR....DATR is in Denver. Dons weren't there....you might be confusing them with Blue Knights. SCV wasn't there either. The lineup was (in order of finish) BD, Regiment, Madison, VK, Troop (and you're right about the crowd response!), BK, Railmen, Calgary Cavaliers (who I don't remember at all)

I lived at the top of Bayview over looking Manning Bowl lynn so it was 68 or 69 I was 4 or 5 y/o

We lived on Western Ave... From mom's second floor porch I could see over the front wall. (and a little to the left of the main/front gate)

By the time I marched in BAC (69) we were living next door to WDCHOF, Class of 2001 Dick Doucette (Lt Norman Princemen/Renegades) and TJ Doucette (I.C.Reveries DM in the 70's)

Drums Along the Rockies used to be a series of contests in the Colorado/Wyoming area.

My first corps show was a DCA contest, and it was good......however, my first live junior corps performance was incredible.....Santa Clara did a uniformed exhibition for a band clinic one week before the '75 championship (where they got a perfect effect score)......I was floored..........and curious about the national scene...........I started getting Drum Corps News, and went to my first contest and nationals in 76, and ironically I was on the field marching in finals in 77...........

GB

1952 - National Legions in Minneapolis, MN - carried by my DAD - i was 2 months old!!

Blue Devils home show: 1972 Precision West in Pleasant Hill, Ca.

In attendance:

1) SC Vanguard featuring soprano soloist Wayne Downey

2) San Francisco Conquistadors, taught by Wayne Downey

3) Capitolaires. I don't think they were renamed to Capitol Freelancers yet, could've been.

4) San Jose Knight Raiders

5) Stockton Commodores. My favorite corps and the only one I remember.

There were probably others. My dad has a recording of that show. I was surprised at how well Blue Devils sounded in 72.

Couldn't PM you, so let me try this....

I am an avid collector/archivist of drum corps audio recordings. Is there any way that I could somehow get a copy of those recordings? If so, let me know how best to bribe you:

- trade for other drum corps recordings

- convert aging original recording to CD for you

- cold, hard cash

- favorite adult beverage :doh:

PM me if you can, or reply here. Thanks for any help you can provide!

1976, Bridgeport CT, Kennedy Stadium, mid June.

It started out as a rainy day, we didn't think the show would go on, but it cleared up. Thank you for that....

I am sure there were a few more corps there, but I rememeber seeing The Muchachos, I wanted to be in that corps so bad as a kid. The smaller corps I was marching in bought the Red Clear Ludwig Vista Lites for the entire drum line becuase our drum instructor love the Muchachos.

I remember seeing the 27th Lancers and that huge drum line.

But the one corps I remember that day, the reason I stuck with drums corps, was the Bridgemen. It was raining, they came on the field in the Yellowcoats. The crowd thought they were rain coats, it was a riot. From what I heard was, this was maybe thier 2nd show of the season, so not may people were aware of this "new" style of drum corps. I was amazed at that show, and everything that the Bridgemen did that day.

I'm sre there were a few more corps there, I don't remember them, but this was my first real Drum Corps Show!

1974 Hershey, PA DCA show..... Concert side (8,000) was sold out so saw the show from the back stands which was interesting as Buccs knocked off the Cabs and lot of programs started flying. :doh: LOL, Cabs website has a vid of their show from that night. :blink:

1 Reading Buccaneers 82.25

2 Hawthorne Caballeros 80.75

3 Yankee Rebels 77.90

4 Rhode Island Matadors 71.65

5 Erie Thunderbirds 58.95

Exh: some small NJ Jr corps that no one remembers the name

LOL, saw my first show about 8 months after I joined my first corps and about 5 months after that corps went under. Second show I saw in it's entirety was '74 DCA Finals (we missed the cut).

What I remember specifically about that show -and I was there, but it's not my 1st show- was Reading being booed off the field. I know I'm prejudiced but that is one of the great under appreciated shows EVER!!! in DCA. Richie in Requiem still sends shivers up my back.

Oscar

That wasn't DATR....DATR is in Denver. Dons weren't there....you might be confusing them with Blue Knights. SCV wasn't there either. The lineup was (in order of finish) BD, Regiment, Madison, VK, Troop (and you're right about the crowd response!), BK, Railmen, Calgary Cavaliers (who I don't remember at all)

DATR used to be held in a lot of places in Colorado / Wyoming area. Like the Pacific Procession tour in Cali. I remember shows in Denver, Boulder, Greeley, Cheyenne, Sheridan, Casper, Rawlins in various years. Denver (or in one year, Boulder) was the championship site.

Cheyenne used to be pretty much the same cast of characters as Denver, but a day or two earlier.

Can't believe I forgot Scouts and VK. It was the Calgary Cavaliers that had the kilts on.