2 Sets of Horns@!

Not to mention carbon footprint.

In that case, Mr. Gore, we need to shut down the whole touring corps thing altogether.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots and lots of Corps over the years have used brass colored horns rather than chrome colored, and nobody thought they looked " bandish " at the time at all.

I actually think brass colored horns at night show competitions look much hipper and cooler than the chrome colored horns. The lights off the stadium give a MUCH sharper look and shine to the horns than the silver horns under the lights. The horns just look... well..... better aesthetically ( my personal opinion here ). And the brass colored horns would seem to match Carolina Crown's uniform colors from last year very well too.

There is no sound quality benefit to using 2 sets. But who knows, using 2 sets may provide a unique contrast effect that might very well prove to be very aesthetically pleasing. And if it works theme wise and / or aesthetic wise, I say go for it Crown.

unless the brass set was all g's. :worthy:

Sounds very intelligent.

Although if this is true, then what happens IF Crown came in 3rd on finals night?

If that happened....then the next year's show will be titled "A Third Chance." :worthy:

They would claim the "GOLD" finish on the horns was meant to represent "BRONZE" :sad:

See BRIDGEMEN.... They used brass laquered horns years ago.

Surprised that no one has brought up Crossmen using the silver/brass horns.

Edited by skajerk

This is so cool.....

...but if they don't win it all this year....the show will seem kind of silly. I'm just glad the music will rock though!

if they are actually using 2 sets of horns, I think they are very stupid.

If they are going to use brass instead of silver, that's fine, but it will probably look weird since we are all used to seeing silver horns.

IMO

There is a corps or two in Ca using gold horns. I think it's Hawthorne Gold or something like that.

Their look is just fine. I think the important thing is to make sure that you have a line that is uniform in color. It doesn't really matter what color has been chosen.

Crown has all the right things in place. Right staff and Excellent Music People. It is theirs to win or loose this year. Just going to see how the season plays out.

If what i have heard about Blue Devils show this year are true, I don't Think BD will be much of a threat as last year.

Top 3 will not be the same corps this year. It will be radically different. Crown, and Blue Stars are looking to be 2 Fierce corps this year.

I will be in Gadsden, Atlanta, and Indy this year so we shall see how it plays out! will have reviews from each show also

I think it is still pretty wide open for lots of corps to win this year. I can't tell yo how many times I said to myself "Well, (insert corps here) has no chance to win with that show" when they made their announcement in March only to see them win it all or become a crowd favorite. For example, I remember when I heard that cadets were doing a Disney show in 2000 thinking that they wouldn't have a chance... boy was I wrong.

I have even heard some corps play their shows standing still and thought that they had no chance only to be proven wrong. Specifically, BD's Concord Pavilion performance in 2007 comes to mind. When I heard them doing that show standing still I thought to myself "How is this Winged Victor? They are going to be 4th again."... and I was wrong again.

It goes the opposite way too. Remember last year when everyone was anointing either Cadets or Phantom DCI champions before the season started? The Phantom hype over their show was pretty intense in the preseason last year, and we all saw how that worked out.

So, let's just wait and see.

I agree... Brass instruments look more marching bandish to me than the silver. But I'm not a horn guy. Is there any reason to use two sets of horns other than aesthetic purposes?

I would guess that it's for aesthetic purposes mostly unless they change "type" of horn.

If you want to see another different looking hornline, check out Crossmen 1989 on Fan Network.

They put some kind of white lacquer on the bell of their horns. The horns looked white when they were up and playing. They were still silver otherwise.

I was told that the lacquer was supposed to do something to the sound of the hornline ( maybe make them more mello? ) but I think their unique sound that year was due to the arranging of the piece.