drum corps G-7's

Actually, this could make a lot of money one day.

If it's a non-competitive situation, suddenly these corps could do ANYTHING on the field. Over time, it could eventually become a huge production and they could start doing 360 degree performances, fireworks, amped brass, etc. You'd have massive, crazy kalaidescope (sp?) drill all the time... kids at that level would still be pushed to their musical and physical limits. It would start looking like intensely choreographed Blast! productions... but in stadiums on a 200-performer scale.

Think about it... the top two corps do a joint show about war... with each corps as an "army". hmm...

Anyway, not saying this is desirable since I enjoy the emotion and drive that competition helps bring out in DCI corps... just thinking of the potential for this kind of model.

Sort of a "Blast" concept out on the field with the G-7. I would not be interested because I also like competition. However, if they break away from the current DCI WC division, this might work for the non-traditional audience.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see both sides of the coin on this one, and I admire Hop's forward thinking. There are a lot of smart people who understand the business side of drum corps more than any of us do. They have more information than most of us do, and are forced to think not only with their hearts, but must look at it from a financial point of view as well. So as much as I want to express my anger and frustration, there is another part of me that says there must be a reason they are doing this. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt until I see all the arguments and exactly what it is that is going on (we have yet to see anything "official" from anyone, all speculation at this point). If in fact all of this si true and there is little to back it up, I will stand strong against it. But these people love this activity just as much as we do. Although they might have a different vision, they also have a responsibility to make sure their organizations are around in 5, 10, and even 20 years. I'm not sure that today's model will sustain this activity for that long.

I hope they aren't leaning towards this super division, but of that is the case, let's listen to all of the arguments before we panic.

Bingo! Some of you are so quick to judge, name call, and panic before you hear both sides of the argument. IF this is true, and I'd like to see a document where this is proposed and the stipulations behind it, I'd like to know exactly WHY this has been proposed.

People have said they only want to see the best corps so here is their chance.

You can see the best and #### the rest.

Just don't b-word later about lack of corps and lack of shows.....

So how does this help the ENTIRE Drum Corps activity, or the Junior corps activity for that matter?

As I sit here pondering this preposterous idea, I can't help but think it's not true. Even from Hoppy, with YEA! and everything else, the point of that organization is education and support for those that seek it. What education is there in creating an elite group? Education is only effective when there are those to learn, I just don't understand why he would want to create another level to surpass. I feel like this undermines the basic idea behind YEA!

If you build the staircase too high, no one will be able to climb it.

That weak point aside, I can imagine even less the other corps directors wanting to follow suit. This is stating that Fiedler, Gibbs, Glasgow, Smith, DeGrauwe, and Valenzuela would all be ok with this. There are many possible changes to drum corps in the near future, things as fundamental as the instrumentation of the group. But would all six of these other directors be ok with this?

Didn't we merge Div. 2 and 3 to avoid this?

Just as important, one would think that the Boards of Directors of these corps should and would have had to have been involved in this decision making process. That, I suppose, would make for a whole other thread.

I agree with the BIGW posting back a bit , this is about money , and second - funnelling the best players to the Magnificent Seven. Hopkins has publicily griped in the past ( in his blog ) that he felt his corps was not getting the level of applicant thet they rightfully deserved.

IMHO the current huge corps with all the gadgets financial model is unsustainable under current economic conditions , unless a method is developed to funnel revenue to only a few.

Next move to me is integrating the seven to a more band friendly composition , which allows the seven to perform/compete in the High School / College band world giving the seven corps and their visionary leaders access to bounties of money not available to a niche activity ( Drum & Bugle corps ).

If folks boo at contests at the seven corps , will they once again be seen as being " mean to the kids "?

it isnt about scores. it's about $$$$
How right you are! The so-called "G7's" want to get as much as they can before someone turns out the lights on this activity.

So what happens when Blue Stars and/or Boston make top 5 this year? It's much more possible than many people think. And Phantom LOL, had better worry about getting BACK to as high as 7th before they guarantee they're going to be worthy of that spot in two years. If this it true it is absolutely pathetic.

I don't think any of this is true. People are getting their knickers in a twist about the OP when there's NO evidence that this is real. Even coming up with a name for this "Priory-of-Sion-esque" group of drum corps directors. I don't believe there's a Skull and Bones club existing for the expressed purpose of steering a summer youth activity. Nice try. I call Troll-bait.

So what happens when Blue Stars and/or Boston make top 5 this year? It's much more possible than many people think. And Phantom LOL, had better worry about getting BACK to as high as 7th before they guarantee they're going to be worthy of that spot in two years. If this it true it is absolutely pathetic.

The man has a point.