New Unis

Did anyone else see that Blue Stars are going gray this year? No tops yet, but I'm personally not looking forward to this color returning to the field.

It sort of reminds me of the Blue Knights when they had gray in their uniforms.

BD looked good in their gray uniforms way back when...

Good observations; no sequins this season - BUT - they've still got two shades of blue... that along with the white/silver trim seems to be obscured by image quality... I *think* they're going with white - but don't quote me there... :)

also, the entire back of the uniform is black, including the back of the jacket...Kind of weird.

Cavaliers had a public performance tonight that was shortened by a storm. Was hoping someone else would post pictures or talk about it though. I can't. But I can tell you that some people saw the entire corps in the new uniform including guard costuming. I like the changes. I've actually seen all of the uniform changes of a certain company (except for Spirit) and I really really like a lot of what I'm seeing. Except Crown. I'm a little skeptical but for me at least, I want to see them on a group of people before I can form an opinion. I was not a big fan of the Glassmen uniform last year when I saw it by itself, but found I really loved the way it looked on the field with the full corps. So, I'm at least willing to wait out Crown this year. But really, I'm surprised that the Cavalier uniform isn't up yet.... It's definitely different. Still the Cavaliers though.

I just want to comment on a post earlier that basically stated, “There is no GOOD or BAD art, art just IS.” I disagree. A lot. That's the kind of pretentious, avant-garde Art-with-a-capital-A attitude that ends up alienating the general public for two reasons:

1. No one wants to listen to a stuck-up ##### talk about his stuck-up work.

2. There is such a thing as BAD art, so in the end, you're not avant-garde, you just suck.

I'm not saying this to say that Crown's uniforms SUCK, don't take it that way. But I'm noticing a trend in the drum corps world where we just won't allow criticism in a lot of areas NOT related to G7. I'm a graphic designer, I'm an artist, so I understand what it means to view art. However I'm also a businessman and a member of the public and letting everything under the sun be allowed and lauded because, “Hey, it's art!” is not just wrong, it's ridiculous.

I just want to comment on a post earlier that basically stated, “There is no GOOD or BAD art, art just IS.” I disagree. A lot. That's the kind of pretentious, avant-garde Art-with-a-capital-A attitude that ends up alienating the general public for two reasons:

1. No one wants to listen to a stuck-up ##### talk about his stuck-up work.

2. There is such a thing as BAD art, so in the end, you're not avant-garde, you just suck.

I'm not saying this to say that Crown's uniforms SUCK, don't take it that way. But I'm noticing a trend in the drum corps world where we just won't allow criticism in a lot of areas NOT related to G7. I'm a graphic designer, I'm an artist, so I understand what it means to view art. However I'm also a businessman and a member of the public and letting everything under the sun be allowed and lauded because, “Hey, it's art!” is not just wrong, it's ridiculous.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

But really, I'm surprised that the Cavalier uniform isn't up yet.... It's definitely different. Still the Cavaliers though.

The corps requested that folks hold back on posting photos of the new unis until they were unveiled formally (which they would have been a few days ago, had the weather co-operated). Having seen them, they strike me as a smart evolution of the classic design, with a few changes that help create the impression of a taller silhouette for the individual members, and a change in the design that gives the visual staff a way to create some different looks on the field.

The guard unis for this year are equally effective, imho, and should work well to help get across the show's emotional tenor.

Along with the new drum design ( :rolleyes: ), should be a good looking Cavaliers this year.

Edited by mobrien

also, the entire back of the uniform is black, including the back of the jacket...Kind of weird.

I'm rather surprised at these various announcements of corps going to even MORE black/dark. Since they have to end the season in front of the Black Curtain of Doom at LOS, I thought for sure the opposite trend would be true, with lots of people going lighter.

Last year the corps with large amounts of black completely disappeared into the curtain from certain camera angles.

It sort of reminds me of the Blue Knights when they had gray in their uniforms.

BD looked good in their gray uniforms way back when...

I'm not a huge fan of gray on the field....I find that for me it's much harder to watch the ensemble on the field. When you put gray and blue together against a green turn, you get some sort of camouflage. Which is why I had a hard time watching BK 99....good corps, but the uniforms didn't do it for me.