New Unis

More as a response to the *faux-mystery* surrounding all of these BIG REVEALS ... just what it is about leaks in pageantry?

I just want to comment on a post earlier that basically stated, “There is no GOOD or BAD art, art just IS.” I disagree. A lot. That's the kind of pretentious, avant-garde Art-with-a-capital-A attitude that ends up alienating the general public for two reasons:

1. No one wants to listen to a stuck-up ##### talk about his stuck-up work.

2. There is such a thing as BAD art, so in the end, you're not avant-garde, you just suck.

I'm not saying this to say that Crown's uniforms SUCK, don't take it that way. But I'm noticing a trend in the drum corps world where we just won't allow criticism in a lot of areas NOT related to G7. I'm a graphic designer, I'm an artist, so I understand what it means to view art. However I'm also a businessman and a member of the public and letting everything under the sun be allowed and lauded because, “Hey, it's art!” is not just wrong, it's ridiculous.

Amen!

What amazes me is the trend of making horns/drums look like the guard. What's up with that?

I remember even 30 years ago that many guards wore a uniform similar to the corps proper. Over time, the guard wanted an identity. Through new costuming, it happened. This is what makes the guard unique. Don't make the horns/drums turn into the guard.

Don't make the horns/drums turn into the guard.

With the huge WGI influence exerted on the activity now . . .and the horn line constantly asked to perform dance moves during any playing downtime . . .I'd say that ship has already sailed.

I just want to comment on a post earlier that basically stated, “There is no GOOD or BAD art, art just IS.” I disagree. A lot. That's the kind of pretentious, avant-garde Art-with-a-capital-A attitude that ends up alienating the general public for two reasons:

2. There is such a thing as BAD art, so in the end, you're not avant-garde, you just suck.

I'm not saying this to say that Crown's uniforms SUCK, don't take it that way. But I'm noticing a trend in the drum corps world where we just won't allow criticism in a lot of areas NOT related to G7. I'm a graphic designer, I'm an artist, so I understand what it means to view art. However I'm also a businessman and a member of the public and letting everything under the sun be allowed and lauded because, “Hey, it's art!” is not just wrong, it's ridiculous.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'm not a huge fan of gray on the field....I find that for me it's much harder to watch the ensemble on the field. When you put gray and blue together against a green turn, you get some sort of camouflage. Which is why I had a hard time watching BK 99....good corps, but the uniforms didn't do it for me.

That's true. It does sort of camouflage. Maybe that's why it is done? Eh, I just think it looks good, but you do have a point.

I get to technically see a show Saturday where everyone's uniform is brand new. Or changed. Cadets, Crown, Cavs

v8Y1VvbEma2efk3vWvg3NmQm_400.gif

With the huge WGI influence exerted on the activity now . . .and the horn line constantly asked to perform dance moves during any playing downtime . . .I'd say that ship has already sailed.

Never mind doing dance/movement *while* they're playing :)