Drums Along the Rockies

Wayne's not done yet..believe it!

I'm sure there will be more! :smile:

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I admit that I have not seen BD or any other corps of similar caliber live this year, but I don't buy the "it doesn't translate" argument. I will agree that visually, I don't think I've seen a corps execute better (despite the free-form running to the next set trick that is used way too frequently, and which I think is a total cop out). Musically, I don't think another corps has a better sound or plays better together. Their guard is also top notch. I'll give props to the design team because it is very original and unique. But it KILLS me to see them rewarded by the judges like they are. Why? Because it isn't entertaining to me and if BD keeps winning with these kind of shows, that is what other corps are going to start to emulate. And I don't want to see a bunch of shows like this (one corps per year is enough).

I won't claim the majority, but I know that I'm not the only one that sits wondering what is going on on the field and hoping that maybe they rewrote a part to have some semblance of a melody, or recognizable theme. But it isn't there, most of it just sounds like a bunch of dissonant notes (dare I say noise) to me with the occasional "stand still and play loud/fast" parts to provide contrast (but by golly, they sound great the entire time). In fact, they have already written OUT one of the few parts of the show that was recognizable.

I guess all I can hope for is that this doesn't become a popular trend. Because whatever it is, I don't get it...

Edited by UItrumpetguy

Do you really think Cadets will be that close come Finals or is that your hope? You bring up years where BD was caught, but you don't care to mention 86,94 or 2009 when they were never caught and won Finals rather handily. Maybe BD is just so good this year nobody will come very close.

That could very well be. Any corps that has had as much success as Blue Devils have had probably has just as many near misses thought: on top of Phantom's come-from-behind-to-win-it-all years (which Mr. Willis brought up pointing out that Phantom has turned on the jets and come out of nowhere to win), there are a few other years BD looked like a cinch to win but were caught late in the year. It happens, and obviously BD could be the real deal again (wouldn't it be kind of cool for them to go undefeated again this year: unprecedented).

I have a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to the Blue Devils and it's really not fair. It all stems from 2008 when the Regiment won championships. What is the song they play after all the scores are read? Well, whatever it is Blue Devils were obviously ###### and were hitting wrong notes, loudly, left and right. In all fairness this probably was just a few jack offs that couldn't take it. But I really lost respect for the organization that day.

Actually, it was not BD, but a corp near them. The organization took a lot of heat on this, but it was not them. This was beaten to death for over a year.

...and then jazz run... :smile:

Jazz run a 6-to-5?

Zing!

Jazz run a 6-to-5?

Zing!

Honestly, it looks like BD is doing just that a lot this year.

I won't claim to speak for the vast majority or 99% of anyone, bur I will say that this BD show hits me with nothing but a big "meh.". I haven't liked a BD show since Winged Victory. It's really frustrating to hear just minimal clips of so many great BD moments from past years but never enough to reallyake you feel sated. I read BD diehards lauding their new ground breaking approach to drum corps, but all I know is that I don't like it at all.

Jazz run a 6-to-5?

Zing!

It was smaller than that.

Double zing!

That is ridiculous - particularly the bold comment. You seem pretty confident that everyone shares your view. I don't think a single title BD has won is even remotely questionable. They should probably have a couple more.

Agreed, marching at 236 is demand. But, what do judges and facts have to do with fans?