Drums Along the Rockies

For those that know me, they know that I can't stand last years and this years BD. I didn't like the results from Denver and yet I agree with BD getting the edge in visual, a point spread in effect was a joke. Sorry, that opening drill is forced and that drumline through the scatter looks like poo... and forced. I can get into more detail about different parts but I wont.

That brings me to this:

I agree fully! I was there ... I heard them ... I was one of the people booing ... and the boo's were loud. I wasn't booing the corps, but the score. It was ridiculous that they scored a 99.05 with a Visual score of 29.95. Blue Devils did not deserve that score last year. And, before you call me a Crown honk, I don't mean this because I feel Crown should've won. Points should have been taken away for the fact that for about 3 minutes of the show, they were standing or sitting and doing "body" (if you can to call it that) that any average person could sit down and do in their free time and it would only take them 5 minutes to learn it. Points should not be given for that.

That bolded section is absolutely, 100% uneducated and wrong.

Sorry, the amount of coordination that that show took visually is unreal. The characters the members where in was a class of it's own that night. Visual is not just marching. Effect Visual is not just cool drill moves. I guess most people want those captions to be called, Marching Cleanly and Cool Drill.

What the Blue Devils do so well in the visual design is staging and subtlety. Jay Murphy/ Scott Chandler are masters at it. The guard also bring nuance to the show that most other corps typically don't. Blue Devils are the kings of subtleness. That guard and its design is the WOW of the vis program. Transitions are seamless but I do feel that it kills the musical design to get there though. You have to take your mind out of what drill is to you and realize that they (the design team) are staging elements in a different way... almost in a theatrical way. In THAT aspect, Blue Devils are doing what few other corps are. THAT is what is fresh and that is what gets them their scores.

Also, I don't know many people that can gate a line over and over, then march to some chairs, set down without looking, hop on one leg, balance, move again, cover down, set back down with out looking (or holding onto the chair) and play an instrument at a high level. Most people if they sat down with out grabbing on to a chair will fall flat on their behind.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone on DCP just tried to convince me that sitting down in a chair is hard. HOLY #### I've see it all!

Holy crap CloudHype, that is so ridiculously intelligent and well said.

Major kudos! More of this on DCP! :smile:

Someone on DCP just tried to convince me that sitting down in a chair is hard. HOLY #### I've see it all!

well not as hard as laying down spread eagle on the field or rolling around on it or marching poorly at 196 while playing nothing. but pretty close.

As I've said in the past old DCImonkey, trot on out to a BD practice and strap one on....you and reality will have a head on collision....and they'll be pickin' monkey pieces out of the astroturf for years. :smile:

My problem with that show had nothing to do with the ridiculous beach furniture......it had more to do with 4 minutes of NO BRASS PLAYING!.....................consecutively

Edited by DCImonkey

Someone on DCP just tried to convince me that sitting down in a chair is hard.

Define "hard"

Physically demanding? No.

Requiring an exorbitant amount of body control and balance. Yup.

Crown Honks give it up last year BLUE DEVILS were BETTER. Its almost been a ####### year and you guys keep pulling this #### up about chairs. Then you have a guy saying there rolling around shouldnt count and should lose points. Did you watch Crowns show last year? They had the same type of visuals. Its 2010 not 2009. These scores are for 2010 not 2009 and guess what BD is good like they are every year. The judges thought they were 3 points better then the Cadets tonight so they gave it to them. I didnt watch the shows because I was driving home from Kzoo. Its funny how when peoples corps scores high theres nothing wrong but when someone they dont like gets a high score the judges are mental in the head.

rant off.