What was/is the COOLEST opening statement

Jim, that gets my vote too.

There have been a whole bunch of great opening statements from many corps over the years... Spirit 1980, Blue Devils 1996, among others... but there's something about that particular one from the Scouts. Sheer, unadulterated power....from a mile away. LOL.

Definitely had that "this is OUR show to win" vibe to it.

Only saw it twice.... one on TV during DCI Finals....

Then the NEXT night at the exhibition show Westshoremen had at Hershey. Lot of us corps members sat up in hte pressbox during the show and it was like: "OMG.... I thought it sounded loud on the TV". :thumbup:

Spirit of Atlanta 79/80 is right up there from BITD too but never saw them live.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soprano solo to open Spirit '85 was a pretty sweet way to come off the line! Anyone else remember this one?

@ HockeyDad

I never thought I would see a picture of Mike Leckrone on DCP. He used to bag on me all the time about my marching. "Stop at the Top" ;-)

Eat a Rock!

1979 BD Chicago III Suite.

:thumbup:

Hmmmm...so THAT'S what made you go there! :thumbup:

I'll agree - that was as tasty as I remember, much smoother than the previous year's version..

And the first season where ALL the horns were "2-valve."

Overall, a fabulous show!!

Pat

If I had to pick one, I would have to pick 1987 SCV. That whole opener was just amazing and I love every second of it.

There are SO many more GREAT openings:

1996 Phantom Regiment- Simply epic build...still gives me goosebumps every time. I wish I could go back in time and hear it live again one more time...

1996 Crossmen- Big loud statement with the percussion and flags right off the bat...very cool.

1991 Santa Clara Vanguard- Awesome way to enter the field.

1999 Blue Devils- Again, big, loud percussive entrance right away.

1999 Santa Clara Vanguard- One of the coolest openings to a show ever.

1985 Sanat Clara Vanguard- This one was my favorite for a long time. Festive overature is just awesome.

1988 Blue Devils- One word...BALLOONS!

1988 Santa Clara Vanguard- From under the veil they come...

1990 Cavaliers- Man, when they hit that crescendo on the turn around...I just die. Drill was to die for also.

1989 Garfield Cadets- Scatter to that big hit. Wow!

1992 Velvet Knights- Magical Mystery tour intro with flag/blow up doll toss over the corps.

1989 Santa Clara Vanguard- That opening drill combined with the music is just so powerful. I will never forget the first time I saw them that year.

1990 Star of Indiana- Just pure, clear power.

1992 Santa Clara Vanguard- Fiddler on the roof! I remember them warming up in the end zone to "music of the night" and the crowd went nuts.

1992 Blue Devils- I love blue light, red light.

1993 Madison Scouts

1999 Madison Scouts

1993 Phantom Regiment

1994 Madison Scouts

1995 Madison Scouts

1995 Glassmen

1995 Cavaliers

1996 Madison Scouts

1997 Glassmen

1997 Crossmen

1997 Madison Scouts- Pirates of lake Mendota...one of my favorite shows from them.

1997 Santa Clara Vanguard- On the waterfront...bam bam, bam! bam! BAM! BAM! (with horn turns) Ok, so it's not the actual opening tune but it's when I felt the show really started.

I'm gonna stop there. There are just too many years and too many shows to name.

Edited by Cardman

Bridgemen 76'. It wasn't really an opener by today's standards (more like an intro) but it always knocked my jock off. I think that they still play it.

In 1984, there were 5 words that did it for me:

Live, from Sacramento... THE FREELANCERS!

Thanks Randy! When I read the thread title "Coolest opening STATEMENT" I naturally thought the same thing. :thumbup:

cadets 01. Its like, everything you want in a drum corps show in the first 30 seconds. mello runs, catches into the rest of the hornline for an awesome brass feature, all while moving, cool drill, power chord, and we're done. >_>

1990 Star - no warmup, just a wall of sound from the get-go.

HM: Scouts 95 and 88, BD 85 and 07, Cavies 86 and 94

Thanks Randy! When I read the thread title "Coolest opening STATEMENT" I naturally thought the same thing. :thumbup:

You got it! Power Suite/What is Hip... gotta love it!