DCI story on CNN.com

Hey, the video they attached to that article is actually pretty great mainstream media coverage.

...and the article is well written and researched (this from one who is educated to write articles but likes to *read* them much more than write them, lol). It's a very succinct treatment of the situation with some history (of sorts) inserted to give context. For someone not from within the activity, the writer did a great job!

cg

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few random thoughts;

1) George Hopkins has never been afraid to paint a target on his back. Even so, people need to remember this proposal comes from all of the top 7 corps - not just Hoppy. Direct your ire accordingly.

2) I'm still getting used to "trumpets" and "tubas". I shudder at the thought of drum corps including the phrase "flutes to the box".

3) I LOVE the F1 analogy. Is George Hopkins more Ron Dennis or Flavio Briatore? Was Dan Acheson's father at Adolf Hitler's wedding, and is there compromising video of him floating around? How many people on DCP will even get my third point?

Fun stuff.

I was just describing this article to a coworker (mainly how my mind is completely blown) who's very much a "brah" sort of guy, and he fired back with, "how will concentrating the money help? Doesn't DCI do revenue sharing right now?"

I... never mentioned the word DCI in talking to him. He apparently knew about all of this as well.

:tongue::thumbup::thumbup:

Mike

I keep waiting for the catch. You know, the catch. 'Cause there's not *really* a DCI article (mentioning DCP) on... CNN?

Am I not awake yet?

Mike

CNN hasn't caught on that a DCI fan hacked it's site. :thumbup:

Had to laugh at the count of Drum Corps left in the country. Know it's really the DCI corps count but figured the All-Age/Alumni-type/Minis got missed cuz they didn't make enough "trouble" to get noticed. :tongue:

I love how the media puts a story together 2 weeks before it's released just to wreck havoc during World Championships (sarcasm off). I am not a big fan of the G7 idea, but this is not the kind of media attention the activity needs.

I honestly dont think the public at large knows anything about Drum Corps that this could create any "havoc". More likely it will expose more people to it and possibly be a good thing. Publicity is publicity.

I was struck that in all the story was fairly even handed in its characterization of the conflict and even did a fair job explaining what the activity was and is for the average person.

I especially love Hoppy's comment about "loving it the way it is, but the way it is won't suvive" with absolutely NO facts o data to back up that statement aside from corps number and a rundown of expenses. Said nothing about how many of these corps raise that much or more and stay on budget from year to year without much of an issue. :tongue:

I like Mason's take on the whole thing. He's not the type to back down either when it comes to a fight. If anyone is spearheading the talks with regards to keeping DCI intact ... I'm sure he has one of the loudest voices.

Mason has the best advice to the G-7... " I have a professional group. Leave this ( DCI ) alone. "

There is " no compromise " with the G-7 vision. It's a selfish, self serving power grab to establish a permanent group slotting system within the World Class Division of DCI and kill off the Open Class Division while in the process. It would serve as a death panel to the Drum Corps activity as something separate and distinct from the Band activity. It's in keeping with the Hopkins long held vision of the morphing of the Drum Corps idiom into band in which the end result will be only..... band.

Either give up this arrogance, or leave and pursue your marching and peforming band vision thingy on your own.

Those are the choices.

Edited by BRASSO

So color me confused...

Drum corps cant survive because it's too expensive....so the best thing we can do is INCEASE the expense by adding more kids. Which means higher transportation costs, higher equipment costs, more instructors, more uniforms, more food, more support staff.

Yes, that makes perfect sense. Why don't we reduce the cost of the activity by upping the cost of doing business.

And now..the "top 7" want to throw a tantrum and take their toys and play "over there". (Funny, I remember there was a time when there was a fight to make the top 21).

No wonder DCI corps cant make it. They're led by a pack of morons.