Injured Crown Member

Maybe MAYBE ? under stress with the situation and thought about making sure no info ( esp. false rumors) would not be posted in case the parents had not heard yet ? Maybe his parents were there? but if not, I can see someone saying that to TRY to stop the rumor mill from going nuts before they were able to speak to his family directly.

Just a thought on why, not saying he was right to do it in that manner , but I could see that as a possibility.

I understand what you mean, and your thoughts makes sense. . But I don't think the members name was out yet right? Or are you just thinking anybody in general so non of the Crown parents flip out?

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone discuss Bluecoats marching through the EMTs as they were working on him. I read were an offical from DCI was giving them a hard time. Was this what it was about.

As stated, the Bluecoats did NOT come near the EMTs and only moved to the field when instructed to do so by DCI. I wish DCI would have held the Bluecoats in the tunnel until the young man and EMTs had totally left the field. That would have been best for all concerned.

I don't know if a situation like this has ever happened before, but I am confident it will be discussed further as how to best handle the situation.

I certainly wish Ryan a speedy recovery and to the bus driver that was injured trying to help him off the field.

Edited by oldbandguy

My thoughts & Prayers are with this Crown Prince! God bless him, those who helped him & to all of you who have shared your concerns.

I don't intend to be jocular or make light of this tragic mishap, but if I were to go down, I can think of no better way than while performing with my Corps! He & his Sisters & Brothers deserve a Special Salute from a once proud "Dinosaur". :thumbup:

Just to add to this...after he had gotten off the field and was on the front sideline,he was probably near about the 5 yard line or so, IIRC. This was close to the tunnel entrance that all the corps used to get their pit onto the field. I remember seeing Tony DiCarlo (contest coordinator) down there "directing traffic" so that the pit members could get their equipment onto the field and at the same time not disrupt the medical staff. The Bluecoats came out of the opposite tunnel, as all the corps (except PR) did, and lined up in the end zone as they had all week; but at that point they waited until the medical staff had Ryan on the stretcher and had wheeled him off before they completed their setup. I also remember that the timing person was standing with Tony D. and had obviously been informed that this was an "official" time out.

Great recollection, Grumpy. That's exactly as I saw it.

I was snickering as I watched the drum judge get blocked from the drum line, which was center field, by the unfolding company front, . As he broke through the line (I think through the hole created by Ryan), he turned and went back when he saw Ryan trying to get up.

I don't know the drum judge, but I can imagine his panic of not being close to "his" line as the closer unfolded. And then to break his concentration, stop, and make the instantaneous decision to "screw the drum line" says all I need to know about the man's character. I watched it unfold by watching the judge, and could almost see his shock to see Ryan down for a second time. And then to haul him off the field on his shoulders! That drum judge was Superman for that minute.

My hat's off to him, to Tony D, and to the 'Coats for not being shook up by the break and the site of Ryan lying prone on the sideline.

Oh, and as Ryan was rolled off I nearly choked up at his strength. He left his all on that field last night, for himself and for me. Thanks Ryan, as representative of what you've learned at Crown, and for your character. You're one tough dude, and your teachers are darn proud of you.

Me, too.

Ryan's surgery was this morning at 10am and he has come through with flying colors and resting comfortably. One of his friends from home that also marches with Crown, stayed behind to be with him. He will be heading home from Indy soon and I am staying behind to make sure he is okay and that they both are able to travel home when Ryan is released.

If you would like to send Ryan a card, please send it to:

Carolina Crown

227A Main St

Fort Mill, SC 29715

Attn - Ryan Brannan

And we will forward them to him!

*** As for the information about HIPAA, that information was provided to me by two separate individuals that told me they were knowledgeable of that law through their professions. I have even now learned that it was incorrect. The intention was to protect the member and his anonymity until he could be evaluated by doctors and his family was contacted, not to threaten anyone. I think those of you that know me well enough knew that. For those of you who don't ... Mea Culpa

Edited by njthundrrd

Thanks for the update, Eric! I'm relieved to hear that he's doing so well.

i can't imagine anything more catastrophic for that poor kid to go through. i hope he, and the injured bus driver, recover quickly.

and, major props to Alan K. ...showing off how awesome of a person/judge he is

Many of already know that one of our bus drivers from the coach company we work with, broke his ankle trying to carry Ryan off the field. He will be out of commission as a driver for an extended period of time while he heals.

If you would like to send Stan a card, please send it to:

Carolina Crown

227A Main St

Fort Mill, SC 29715

Attn - Stan Olochwoszcz

And we will forward them to him!

Stan's injury is as shocking as Ryan's, yet one many of us can see happening to ourselves in our desire to helping out when we are needed.... Stan is a hero in my eyes. All my best thoughts and hopes go to him. Thanks for letting us know.

Edited by esch

Perhaps this unfortunate incident should serve as a wake-up call for all the drill designers and program coordinators out there, who have been pushing the envelope for years, writing faster and more difficult drill moves that test the young bodies of the members, and for the judging community that has rewarded the programs for pushing that envelope.

And I'm not just talking about Crown, I'm talking about all the corps. While the fall taken last night by the young man was perhaps the worst, and most high-profile, instance, it's far from an isolated incident. I know I've noticed an increase in recent years of corps members having health issues that I think can probably be directly attributed to the demands placed on their bodies by such high-velocity drills.

I may be totally off base on this (certainly wouldn't be the first time!), but I think that maybe it's time to slow things down just a tad.