Injured Crown Member

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The entire ordeal is on the video on the FN as the broadcast was on high cam for the last minute or so. Dear god, that looks painful, and its hard to watch. Hopefully Tom Blair can work around it on the DVD.

One thing that I don't think has been mentioned yet was the reaction of the crowd. Normally the sight of Bluecoats leads to a chorus of "bloooooo". But it seems everyone recognized what was going on, and gave the injured corps member a thunderous ovation, as one hears at a sports event when an injured player is taken off. Only then did the blooooo begin.

Best wishes to this young man and the whole corps.

It was very tough even watching from Sec 237...on the ten yard line on the opposite side of the field. The support and concern of the entire crowd could really be felt. While Crown still received the ovation they earned, the stadium as they marched off turned to almost silence with just a quiet hum as everyone looked to the left. Everyone remained standing...it didn't matter what corps you supported, the concern was felt by everyone.

As another poster mentioned, it probably in hindsight would have been best had they waited to call the Bluecoats to the field. However, the members of the front ensemble reacted to the situation professionally and kept clear of the area once they learned of the situation. While the rest of the corps probably didn't know what was going on, I bet they knew something was up because of the lack of 'Bluuing' when they entered the field.

I wonder if Ryan was an age out? I hope, if he wasn't, that he can fully recover and return to the field next year. Wishing you a speedy recovery!!!

It was very tough even watching from Sec 237...on the ten yard line on the opposite side of the field. The support and concern of the entire crowd could really be felt. While Crown still received the ovation they earned, the stadium as they marched off turned to almost silence with just a quiet hum as everyone looked to the left. Everyone remained standing...it didn't matter what corps you supported, the concern was felt by everyone.

As another poster mentioned, it probably in hindsight would have been best had they waited to call the Bluecoats to the field. However, the members of the front ensemble reacted to the situation professionally and kept clear of the area once they learned of the situation. While the rest of the corps probably didn't know what was going on, I bet they knew something was up because of the lack of 'Bluuing' when they entered the field.

I wonder if Ryan was an age out? I hope, if he wasn't, that he can fully recover and return to the field next year. Wishing you a speedy recovery!!!

It's been reported that Ryan is 20 and has 2 years of eligibility since his birth falls during the competitive season of 2012. I hope he has a full recovery and is able to march his last 2 years.

It happened right in front of my group of 14 and the women in our group were in tears. Mostly because it was INCREDIBLE how this young gentleman tried to get off the field after doing this. Watching him hobble off was one of the most gallant things I have seen in my life.

VERY happy to hear he is doing well. Our prayers are with him for a speedy recovery.

I was on the 20 on the same side of the field this happened, and (unfortunately) had a pretty good view of him coming off the field. I remember just repeating "stop trying to walk" because every time he put weight on his left leg, you saw it fold about halfway between the ankle and knee. The staff member helping him off the field was on his opposite side, and I don't think saw that happening.

It was a relief when additional staff got on the field to carry him off. I was really worried that he was making the injury worse by trying to walk on it. Hopefully that's not the case and he recovers quickly.

Do corps have policies that cover these members, or is there a chance that they'll need financial assistance?

My son marched with SCV this year and he was required to have proof of medical insurance or they would direct him where he could buy a three month policy.

Because most of these kids are in college I am assuming they are covered under their parent's insurance policy.