Injured Crown Member

It's going to be a tough rehab session for the guy. Breaking a lower leg bone, especially when it's a compound break requiring surgery, is serious business. He's probably going to need 6-8 weeks before he will even feel comfortable walking around on the leg and another couple months of physical therapy before he can undergo any kind of strenuous activity. But if he sticks to it and does what he has to there's no reason he won't be at 110% come auditions in November. Do work, son! And get out there next year.

I do have a question: How did it happen? Compound fractures (hell, even regular breaks for that matter) aren't something that happens every time you do something athletic. From watching the video it didn't seem like there were any fast direction changes or crazy things like that right before the company front, at least nothing in my mind that would imply he snapped it then. I heard someone say he'd had a sore leg for a few weeks leading up to Finals and was having trouble walking; sounds like he'd already broken the leg and was just wearing it out more and more. If that's the case, and I in no way say this to bash Ryan because we've all done it and we've all been there, but while pushing through the pain is admirable, sometimes you need to listen to your body before something bad happens.

God speed, Ryan, and get well soon.

Edited by SF2K4

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Then perhaps you shouldn't . . .because this thread is about a kid who fought through some pretty incredible pain last night and deserves our thoughts and well-wishes; not for talking about the forums.

Let's keep it that way, okay? :thumbup:

I agree with bawker 100% here....Having had a broken tib/fib from a bike wreck I've got a really good idea how how much pain he was in, that is one TOUGH dedicated young man, truth be told I'm surprised he didn't pass out... My thoughts & prayers go out to him & the bus driver that was injured trying to help him, & a big thank you goes out to the judge that did the RIGHT THING by helping him off the field...

SORRY, double post.... :thumbup:

Edited by k357

It's going to be a tough rehab session for the guy. Breaking a lower leg bone, especially when it's a compound break requiring surgery, is serious business. He's probably going to need 6-8 weeks before he will even feel comfortable walking around on the leg and another couple months of physical therapy before he can undergo any kind of strenuous activity. But if he sticks to it and does what he has to there's no reason he won't be at 110% come auditions in November. Do work, son! And get out there next year.

I do have a question: How did it happen? Compound fractures (hell, even regular breaks for that matter) aren't something that happens every time you do something athletic. From watching the video it didn't seem like there were any fast direction changes or crazy things like that right before the company front, at least nothing in my mind that would imply he snapped it then. I heard someone say he'd had a sore leg for a few weeks leading up to Finals and was having trouble walking; sounds like he'd already broken the leg and was just wearing it out more and more. If that's the case, and I in no way say this to bash Ryan because we've all done it and we've all been there, but while pushing through the pain is admirable, sometimes you need to listen to your body before something bad happens.

God speed, Ryan, and get well soon.

If you read back in the thread, he was having trouble with a previous injury all season .. and could hardly walk the week of finals (even sitting out some rehearsal blocks). I can not say that this contributed to the compound fracture, but in my mind ... this young man may have already had a stress fracture and the move into the company front may have caused a full break. It even looked as though further damage was done in his attempt to recover from the fall. This is all speculation on my part ... regardless I just hope he recovers and has successful therapy now that his surgery has been handled. Stay strong Ryan!!!!!!!! Hope to see you on the field next year (and I really hope that Crown will invite him back even if he has to sit out visual blocks during the winter until he is fully cleared for takeoff).

I agree with bawker 100% here....Having had a broken tib/fib from a bike wreck I've got a really good idea how how much pain he was in, that is one TOUGH dedicated young man, truth be told I'm surprised he didn't pass out... My thoughts & prayers go out to him & the bus driver that was injured trying to help him, & a big thank you goes out to the judge that did the RIGHT THING by helping him off the field...

I'm actually on the other end of this. I broke both my tibia and fibula at the same time and never had any pain at all until reaching the ER and they reset it. Didn't even notice anything was wrong until I tried to stand up and couldn't.

The first 2 weeks were the worst for me but it wasn't too bad after that. It'll be a toss up on whether he will be able to march next summer as it can take over a year to fully heal (in some cases, including mine).

Hope everything works out for him though! It's definitely a rough way to end the season.

Didn't read through the entire thread, but my two cents:

Sat next to someone with massive amounts of expression in the activity last night. He told me that he noticed this person struggling from early on in the show. I did not see anything until right after the guy went down. So, I felt it was a pretty firm conclusion that he had either injured himself early on or gone in injured and pushed himself way beyond what could be expected.

This was, by far, the worst thing I have ever seen in drum corps. It ranks right up there with the most disturbing sports injuries I have seen on TV. And I have never seen anyone travel so far unassisted with so serious an injury. It is really tough to imagine how much pain this individual must have endured just pushing himself far enough to sustain the final injury, much less attempting to get off the field.

I join everyone else in just really hoping that he is able to recover completely from this.

Ryan,

I wish you the best of luck in your recovery and hope you get another couple of seasons in.

Ryan,

Get better, soon! May the force be with you!

Bus Driver,

Thank you for helping Ryan! As a drum corps parent myself, all these kids are my own. Thank you for being there for one of ours.

May the force be with you as well!

It's not something you want to see. I was there last night. Sad. My heart breaks for him, knowing that is was in the last 30 seconds of the show on Finals night. Here's to a speedy recovery!! Congrats to all those in the Crown organization for handling this situation with class.

For those who were their last night, the guy that broke his ankle helping, "the bus driver", was that the guy that fell helping him off, near the end zone?

I got ill seeing it...it was the 2nd scariest thing I've ever seen on a drum corps field. I give mad props to all who helped him get off the field.

I got ill seeing it...it was the 2nd scariest thing I've ever seen on a drum corps field. I give mad props to all who helped him get off the field.

Dang... what was the first??