Pioneer

Agreed.

All these notions of inclusion, etc., are noble. Yet they also are part of an identity of failure.

that is, all by itself, one of the most troubling phrases I've read on DCP over the years.

Edited by rayfallon

that is, all by itself, one of the most troubling phrases I've read on DCP over the years.

But yet... true. Part of the image they would have to get past if they ever wanted to put more focus on being competitively successful. Sorry if its offensive, but it is the perception from a lot on the outside. Its great they take some who have no experience or lesser talent and educate them.. but is that born of desire to do that, or necessity?

Edited by AlexL

But yet... true. Part of the image they would have to get past if they ever wanted to put more focus on being competitively successful. Sorry if its offensive, but it is the perception from a lot on the outside. Its great they take some who have no experience or lesser talent and educate them.. but is that born of desire to do that, or necessity?

Perception is the last thing on Roman's mind. He obviously doesn't care how his organization is perceived, or things would've changed a long time ago. He's also not worried about perception of him within or outside the organization. He just does what he does, and people either follow him or they don't. No biggie, from his standpoint.

Now, this isn't exactly different from Hopkins or Gibbs, either, except those dudes want to be perceived as excellent, as it's measured on the sheets anyway. (if not the audience) So they work hard to create that single perception.

Roman has no impetus to be perceived in any way, except maybe "a good man who means well." That permeates to his organization, "a good corps that means well." No other perception is required.

Apologies if this has already been asked and answered, but why does Pioneer compete in World Class? Is there some advantage they wouldn't have in Open Class? And don't say prestige.

HH

show performance fees.

You don't have to go further than to look at politics currently, or choose a million other areas to see how meaningless the perception of a lot on the outside can be.

Opinions are like errrr lawnmowers. Everybody has one. You get my point. The fact that a lot of people agree, especially in an age where electronic media give us our opinions prepackaged - e.g. Glen Beck; Keith Olbermann; Ann Coulter; Imus... I hope I kept that balanced but just listen to the folks who call these shows (yeah I know - no thanks) or to the hosts themselves - millions of people agree with many of them. Doesn't mean they're right.

Finally the enormous challenge of operating a world class corps in today's environment - I have so much respect for corps like Pioneer who provide the experience for these kids - a life changing experience in many cases. Perception may seem like reality, but often it's just perception.

lawnmowers. Everybody has one.

Id like to take this opportunity to point out that i in fact do not have a lawnmower. :tongue:

(one of the few things i do like about my HOA dues)

Apologies if this has already been asked and answered, but why does Pioneer compete in World Class? Is there some advantage they wouldn't have in Open Class? And don't say prestige.

What an ironic question. The corps was demonized for wearing out their welcome in division II/III, particularly when the 1996 corps seemed like such an easy bet to take a third straight division II title. And now we question why they choose to compete in world-class?

Let me ask the reverse question. Anyone think that seven tenths of a point is enough of a deficit to justify moving to open-class, and competing against corps that (with rare exception) range from 20 to 70 members smaller than your corps?

What an ironic question. The corps was demonized for wearing out their welcome in division II/III, particularly when the 1996 corps seemed like such an easy bet to take a third straight division II title. And now we question why they choose to compete in world-class?

ironic indeed.............. we did earn that 3rd div 2 title, dci choose to punish us.... there weren't any div 2 corps close to us in 96, and we were spanking div one ### all summer. spanking real hard and leaving hand prints! :tongue: :tongue: :ph34r:

thank you DCI for not ripping that drum title from us.. 9.8 out of 10.. forever...that will be on my tombstone

isnt bdb going for number three now? is it there time for them to get punished as well?