Would you walk away if DCI shows were like in the 80s and 90s

Lance

Would you walk away if DCI looked like it did in the 80s and 90s  

256 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Yes, I would walk away if DCI reverted to 80s/90s type shows
    • No, I would not walk away if DCI reverted to 80s/90s type shows

The recording technology can only be blamed for so much. We're talking the 70's technology, not 20's. I've heard plenty of instrumental music that was recorded in the 70's (including some outdoor concerts) and they sound just fine.

As if they used the same technology to record drum corps shows in the '70s. Anyone familiar with the process that was used want to elaborate?

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't walk away - in fact I'd definitely make an effort to attend more live shows!

I think the differences in the shows don't have much to do with the quality of the recording at all. The differences in teaching methods, the better education of both staff and the kids in the corps and the technological improvements in the instruments themselves. I marched a small corps in Illinois in the 80's. My first year I played on an old rotary valve soprano. While I am a big fan of G bugles due to the richness of the overall sound, a good horn player is going to sound good no matter what horn he or she is playing. As for the differences in show design, I seem to remember the Cadets back in the 80's being overly associated with the word "innovation". For those of us who aren't old enough to remember this age, this was the point where the drum corps activity as a whole became more about artistry. What was considered innovative then is now old fashioned and outdated.

It is human nature to be nostalgic for the past. Although I personally still watch these old shows, I really can't see the activity moving backwards. While we should DEFINITELY embrace the past and remember where we came from, it's imperitive to look forward. The activity that we all love so much has survived and evolved because of change, not despite it.

I think the differences in the shows don't have much to do with the quality of the recording at all. The differences in teaching methods, the better education of both staff and the kids in the corps and the technological improvements in the instruments themselves. I marched a small corps in Illinois in the 80's. My first year I played on an old rotary valve soprano. While I am a big fan of G bugles due to the richness of the overall sound, a good horn player is going to sound good no matter what horn he or she is playing. As for the differences in show design, I seem to remember the Cadets back in the 80's being overly associated with the word "innovation". For those of us who aren't old enough to remember this age, this was the point where the drum corps activity as a whole became more about artistry. What was considered innovative then is now old fashioned and outdated.

It is human nature to be nostalgic for the past. Although I personally still watch these old shows, I really can't see the activity moving backwards. While we should DEFINITELY embrace the past and remember where we came from, it's imperitive to look forward. The activity that we all love so much has survived and evolved because of change, not despite it.

Well stated Jim. My only contentions are ....... at what point has change gone to far? At what point do you hit the wall and come to realize that the only way to move forward is to take steps backward?

In RL business, the way forward is to change / create new product / move into a new market / make the product you have even better based on your histories successes. The problem with drum and bugle corps is that there has been zero focus on the last possibility for success. It has been all about changing the product and moving into new markets. Sometimes, doing the same thing at a higher level of quality will move you further forward than any other option. I could go alot of different ways with that, but I'll leave it to the DCP masses to mull over.

As if they used the same technology to record drum corps shows in the '70s. Anyone familiar with the process that was used want to elaborate?

Reel to reel recorder out in the open.... couple of mics on stands in the front.... DCA tried a shotgun mic for soloists one or more(?) years which made the soloists louder than usual some times. Hope like Hades the tape stays in good shape. Have one or two mid 70s shows where it sounds like the tape got wrinkled (DCA Fianls at that).

"I've heard plenty of instrumental music that was recorded in the 70's (including some outdoor concerts) and they sound just fine."

Have some too but those recordings were not done of a "moving target". Real problem was when the instruments were facing away from the microphones or too close. DCA tried some backfield mics which didn't make a lot of difference IMO. And back when drumlines did a "elevator drill" up and down the 50, the marching bells came out a lot louder on the recording than they did live.

Anyone read "History of Drum Corps" book? Early 1990s DCI corps went to a different style and bunch o' fans left. IIRC, it's titled "Year of Audience Discontent" Thought of that when I read the topic.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Anyone read the book, A History of Drum and Bugle Corps (vol. 1)? Early 1990s DCI corps went to a different style and bunch o' fans left. IIRC, it's titled "Year of Audience Discontent" Thought of that when I read the topic.

I believe that's in the section on DCI's history written by one Rosalie Sward, who even quotes from her own 1992 or 1993 letter to Drum Corps World about the excessively modernist nature of the music that corps were selecting -- preeminently Star, I think.

Nothing personal to those who marched in the 70's, but I cannot listen to more than 3 seconds of 70's drum corps at a time, it is performed so atrociously.

It really is apples to oranges if you're comparing 2010 to '70s sound. The equipment alone would have never allowed hornlines to achieve the blend they do today. I would say that by the mid to late 80s the horns and drums had evolved enough to allow the player to get quality sounds. So I would disagree with you about it being performed atrociously. It really was, in most cases, the equipment and not the player. Not that you said this, but it would be dismissive for anyone to think that there wasn't talent in 1970's corsps that would allow them to play at a high level.

At what point do you hit the wall and come to realize that the only way to move forward is to take steps backward?

Lol...that made me think Crown's show this year.

Nothing personal to those who marched in the 70's, but I cannot listen to more than 3 seconds of 70's drum corps at a time, it is performed so atrociously.

Three seconds? don't hurt yourself...

The '70s horn lines weren't for the most part made up of music majors as are the lines today. The "kids" really were kids and the average age was not 19.5

Our hornline(for example) of 36, had 2 plugs that couldn't blow a note if they had to and a few others that never played a horn before, could only "join in" during certain parts of the book. We still took 15th in WC (fka: Div 1, fka:Open Class fka: Class A) and had a blast!

BTW...why do they keep changing the class divisions names? What's next... Interplanetary?

No problem. I don't it " personal " when some newcomers love Corps like the DCI Champion 2010 Blue Devils over the DCI Titleist Corps from the 70's and 80's. Likewise, don't take it" personal", when some legacy fans find Corps shows like 2010 Champion Blue Devils excellent in talent and perfoming abilities but still find the show ultimately boring beyond belief. Everybody's notion of what is " entertaining " is of a personal nature.... owned by them alone.

Edited by BRASSO