2011 Phantom Regiment Guard

Why can't an all female guard do as well as an all male guard ? Sorry, but it just sounds too sexist to me.

Its not genetics... it's not stamina.... it's not endurance.... it's not talent..... so why CAN'T an all female Guard win ( say ) the Guard award ? What exactly precludes it from happening ?

You might even go so far as saying if an all female guard cant compete just because its all female, we may need to look at the judging.

You might even go so far as saying if an all female guard cant compete just because its all female, we may need to look at the judging.

Oh absolutely. That would be blatant discrimination, and very unfortunate for everyone, including the activity itself.

I think people are getting stuck on all male of female. It doesn't really matter. My point is more about...

1. Too many leadership changes; percussion, drill, ect.

2. Losing experienced guard members including some of the women.

3. Corp Unity.

After such a bonding show last year to say to a substancial portion of the guard, see you later. Just doesn't seem right. Add to that how the percussion caption head left with no acknowledgement from the board or staff.

It just portrays an image that isn't in line with the Phantom Phamily.

haha oh my what has the off season done to this place?!?!

summer needs to get here sooner.

or

at least some show announcements and videos from camps to generate something more interesting and factual to argue over rather than speculation...

also, phantoms 2010 show was pretty AWEsome. who really cares if its all one sex or other, let them perform before criticizing

to be honest, very little in DCI is done for tradition's sake anymore

And I hope it does. I have to agree with those criticizing the move - the limited talent pool is a solid point, but I think the bigger point is the limited show design. The wonderful shows of 2005, 2006, and 2008 (along with the 2009 show that I appreciate) could not have been told the same way with an all-female guard.

If the show dictates an all-female guard, then I'm all for it. And if it's a year-to-year decision, cool. But a blanket change in the name of "tradition" only doesn't do it for me...

there is nothing that says you have to use all 3 pieces of equipment..at least not on the sheets I have used

It's not on the sheets - but you have to agree that you're at a disadvantage if you don't. I haven't seen anyone attempt it yet. Not saying it's the right thing - just looking at what the top guards have been fielding recently.

Later,

Mike

As a fellow colorguard male member, I love the fact that they are going back to an all female guard, because there was always something beautiful and strong about the Phantom girls that set them apart from all other guards. I have studied and watched just about every show Phantom Regiment has done since it's existence. They had a presence that was all their own and no one could replicate it. They were some of the most cleanest and toughest girls out there. I have friends that march phantom and i wanted to audition but decided to march Madison Scouts because i wanted to keep my masculine identity unlike all of the other corps who have men in them and the men look like women.

I'm glad they are doing this because, i'm tired of seeing unisex guards and it's time for them to really step up and bring that Phantom Regiment Colorguard swagger back, because it's been surpressed by the men and they need to take charge of that.

And who cares whether or not they are gonna be all female. As long as they are entertaining the crowd and not to the judges then i'm ok with whatever they do.. Go Phantom Regiment!!