Cadets 2011

I know I'm probably in the minority, but I get a little turned off when I hear one top 8 corps do a piece another top 8 corps did the year before. (Angels & Demons: Bluecoats 2010, Cadets 2011) I know, I know, it ties into the themes, and I'm not saying The Cadets "copied" anything from anyone, I just will have the thought "hey, didn't I hear that last year?" in my head the first time I see the show. That being said, I'll probably love the show anyway. satisfied.gif

• Like 2

I know I'm probably in the minority, but I get a little turned off when I hear one top 8 corps do a piece another top 8 corps did the year before. (Angels & Demons: Bluecoats 2010, Cadets 2011) I know, I know, it ties into the themes, and I'm not saying The Cadets "copied" anything from anyone, I just will have the thought "hey, didn't I hear that last year?" in my head the first time I see the show. That being said, I'll probably love the show anyway. satisfied.gif

Trust me, you won't hear the same thing you heard last year. The last thing the Cadets want is to be accused of ripping off another corps arrangement, so you'll probably be looking at a significantly different approach to the source music IMO.

• Like 2

I can personally guarantee you that you will not be thinking that. Cadets aren't doing music from the movie Angels & Demons, they are basing the show off of the (wonderful) Ticheli piece, "Angels in the Architecture."

The more you knoooooow! :smile:

• Like 2

How 'bout when the same corps does the same music in back to back years? Yeah... I'm lookin' at you Regiment. :)

• Like 1

How 'bout when the same corps does the same music in back to back years? Yeah... I'm lookin' at you Regiment. :)

How about when corps do the same piece of music in the same year? blue knights & Crown 2010

How about when corps do the same piece of music in the same year? blue knights & Crown 2010

Or Pacific Crest and Bluecoats 10 (and initially BD)?

Weren't there three or four corps who were supposed to/did do Whitacre's October in 2003? I know Gmen and Spirit did.

as long as he doesn't cheese it up, this has classic written all over it

I agree. I just watched it and it sounds really good and I'm sure that's not how the piece will end.

You're not alone, but many people tend to get upset when one corps plays music that another corps has done in the past. Cadets have been doing it a LOT this past decade. Crown has done it too. Sometimes two corps play the same music in a year and we get comparisons between the two.

I think it's not a big problem and it's interesting to see how each corps interprets these pieces. Sometimes it is a challenge to hear a piece that one corps has done so well with being done by another. There are numerous examples of that in this past decade. So, I think it will be interesting and different; each version will have fans. thumbup.gif

No biggie. Some music is just THAT good.