Cadets Uniform

Ummm, you probably got "down-voted" for that suggesting that because it already happened which is the basis of this thread.

Just a thought. :doh:

then it was obviously ineffective (at least according to the person who posted all the "woe is me" comments from current cadets facebooks). I thought the basis of the thread was that "the alumni" (in quotes because that is how it was portrayed, though it was inaccurate portrayal) were ######.

All I'm saying is that if the kids are worried or upset, it should be addressed.

• Like 1

I remember vividly how happy and excited I was the day I was sent into the uniform room to try on uniform jackets as I was being fitted for my entire uniform. It was a dream come true and an honor to put on that traditional Cadets uniform. I also remember being at a show in 1984 and all the respect I had for my friend after seeing him in his Garfield Cadets uniform. I am very surprised by your statement that "It appears to me that the younger Alumni do not have the same attachment to the uniform that some of us do from "back in the day"". If that is true, that is sad.

I was never in the Cadets, but I remember just two years ago when a Cadet's member was taking questions near the entrance of the early season show. No idea what he said but I distinctly remember the history that the uniform exuded. It was on a similar par with the Marine's dress blues. History. Pride. Spirit.

IIRC, I walked away with $100 worth of souvies.

• Like 2

I remember vividly how happy and excited I was the day I was sent into the uniform room to try on uniform jackets as I was being fitted for my entire uniform. It was a dream come true and an honor to put on that traditional Cadets uniform. I also remember being at a show in 1984 and all the respect I had for my friend after seeing him in his Garfield Cadets uniform. I am very surprised by your statement that "It appears to me that the younger Alumni do not have the same attachment to the uniform that some of us do from "back in the day"". If that is true, that is sad.

I know that they have the same respect for the uniform. Every bit of it.

Just not the same attachment to it that we do. That X factor isn't as strong for them. They're used to change.

I know exactly how you feel. Exactly. But, I can only refer you back to my epiphany. It's their Corps now.

Can some of the younger Cadet Alumni help me with this WITHOUT hostility? You're far more qualified to express this than I am. Maybe send Robby a PM if you don't want to post out in the open?

Edited by RetiredJedi

All I'm saying is that if the kids are worried or upset, it should be addressed.

It will. We always hear how... " it's all about the kids ".

They'll put the kids first, and resolve this to their satisfaction... if not already, I'd imagine.

I am not a member of the Cadets. I have not yet marched, but I plan to. Therefore, my comments may be invalid.

That being said, if George Hopkins believes that this is a good idea, then I think that he has the right to try it. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. If it does, it does. I sincerely hope that nobody boos them this year, and that they put out an amazing show. As longs those guys and girls entertain the fans, then I don't believe it matters what they wear, even if they go out wearing pink bunny outfits.

Also, I believe that it is wrong for people to copy our posts from here onto the Facebook page, no matter how positive it is if it is not theirs.

That is all.

I just had a mental image of Hop, in a Cadet uniform, sitting in the witness box yelling "YOU'RE GOD ###### RIGHT I DID!!!"

:tongue:

"MPs, guard the director...." LOL

I know that they have the same respect for the uniform. Every bit of it.

Just not the same attachment to it that we do. That X factor isn't as strong for them. They're used to change.

I know exactly how you feel. Exactly. But, I can only refer you back to my epiphany. It's their Corps now.

Can some of the younger Cadet Alumni help me with this WITHOUT hostility? You're far more qualified to express this than I am. Maybe send Robby a PM if you don't want to post out in the open?

Maybe they don't have "...the same attachment to it that we do", because since 2003 until 2008 (6 seasons), the uniform has been so played with and adulterated like no other time in its history.

Edit: I originally wrote 2009 when it should have been 2008.

Edited by cadetrob
  • Like 1

Maybe they don't have "...the same attachment to it that we do", because since 2003 until 2009 (7 seasons), the uniform has been so played with and adulterated like no other time in its history.

I sent you a PM.

Maybe they don't have "...the same attachment to it that we do", because since 2003 until 2009 (7 seasons), the uniform has been so played with and adulterated like no other time in its history.

They may not have the same attachment, or maybe they aren't taking this way too seriously like many people are. The uniform deserves a lot of respect, but this years corps belongs to the members of this year. If the uniform fits the show, then I'm all for it. If it doesn't, then I'm sure we're going to hear a lot more anger on this site. I was just as excited as everyone else when I tried on the uni for the first time, and I love seeing the block come down the 50, but they're trying something different (again) this year, and I'm looking forward to seeing what becomes of it. I think the only way I'll be stung by this is if the uniform is changed permanently. But if it's just for one year to fit this show, I'll be aight.

• Like 1

I'm with you to a point, Mike.

The uniform doesn't define "who" a Cadet is.

It defines "WHAT".

It's what the uniform represents.

Does that make sense?

I think I'm done now. I'm over it.

It makes sense to me...I just happen to disagree with it. As much as I love the Cadet uniform, if they want to try something else costume-wise I'm all for it. The external elements have undergone huge changes the past 50 years...for me a Cadet is still a Cadet and is part of our long line going back to 1934.

Others feel differently...some of them I marched with. That's fine. I respect their opinion, even if I disagree with it for myself.