Cadets Uniform

No, it's just people making a mountain of a molehill. Business as usual on this site.

except the message was received by some alumni long before it here. thats what led to the flap growing on here

• Like 2

except the message was received by some alumni long before it here. thats what led to the flap growing on here

Right, the alumni were told at an alumni meeting a day or so before it turned up here.

The "flap" wasn't due to how folks were told, they were told at an alumni event....no subterfuge, no hiding anything. The flap was due to folks over-reacting both here and elsewhere.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Um, may I please have the floor for a quick second?

First before I begin, I don't post on here often if at all anymore. Occasionally I'll check in to see what's new in the drum corps community (like now), but overall I have grown distant from the activity. I did march, and when I marched I took a lot of pride in it and felt a very strong connection with my corps. But since leaving drum corps to pursue other goals in life I haven't put too much thought or concern into what my alma mater has been up to. Why? Because it's none of my **** business.

I had my time on the field and I'll never forget it or the corps that I marched with, but the reality is that no matter what that corps does in the present or the future it will have absolutely no effect on me, my emotions, my sanity, etc. I'll still wake up every morning and do my daily routine, and maybe I'll see a movie with my girlfriend or play a pick-up soccer game with my friends afterwards if I'm in a good mood. A corps changing their uniform has never interrupted this cycle for me, and unless you're so pathetic that your fond memories of marching are the only things keeping your unstable mind intact I doubt it will interrupt your daily cycle either. The only people that should be this concerned about a uniform are the people wearing it and the people designing it, and that is no longer you.

As for tradition, call me progressive but that's more or less just a concept. The fact of the matter is that in this sport, no corps is ever the same year after year. If this was the same corps as the one you marched in you'd still be in it. The big point I'm trying to make in all of this is that this is no longer "your" corps, and the only people that should be concerned about it are the people still involved with the corps on the field and in the offices. If it matters so much to you, find your way into a staff position.

• Like 3

Um, may I please have the floor for a quick second?

First before I begin, I don't post on here often if at all anymore. Occasionally I'll check in to see what's new in the drum corps community (like now), but overall I have grown distant from the activity. I did march, and when I marched I took a lot of pride in it and felt a very strong connection with my corps. But since leaving drum corps to pursue other goals in life I haven't put too much thought or concern into what my alma mater has been up to. Why? Because it's none of my **** business.

I had my time on the field and I'll never forget it or the corps that I marched with, but the reality is that no matter what that corps does in the present or the future it will have absolutely no effect on me, my emotions, my sanity, etc. I'll still wake up every morning and do my daily routine, and maybe I'll see a movie with my girlfriend or play a pick-up soccer game with my friends afterwards if I'm in a good mood. A corps changing their uniform has never interrupted this cycle for me, and unless you're so pathetic that your fond memories of marching are the only things keeping your unstable mind intact I doubt it will interrupt your daily cycle either. The only people that should be this concerned about a uniform are the people wearing it and the people designing it, and that is no longer you.

As for tradition, call me progressive but that's more or less just a concept. The fact of the matter is that in this sport, no corps is ever the same year after year. If this was the same corps as the one you marched in you'd still be in it. The big point I'm trying to make in all of this is that this is no longer "your" corps, and the only people that should be concerned about it are the people still involved with the corps on the field and in the offices. If it matters so much to you, find your way into a staff position.

I agree that alumni/involvement support and its importance is often vastly inflated on DCP. However, many alumni offer monetary support to their alma maters. When there is money in the pot, they do have a stake in the outcome.

I agree that alumni/involvement support and its importance is often vastly inflated on DCP. However, many alumni offer monetary support to their alma maters. When there is money in the pot, they do have a stake in the outcome.

This is true, but alumni approval is a vastly over rated thing to an extent, and is more of a self-entitlement thing than anything else. If an alumni is going to stop supporting their organization because of a uniform color/design change, then their priorities are way out of whack anyway. I would guess that with an organization like The Cadets, one that's been around for 3/4's of a century, the ratio between alumni who support the corps because of the great experience it provided them/provides other generations vs the alumni who support the corps only because everything is done exactly how they approve, likely favor alumni A.

The self entitlement many people display in drum corps is sad: the experience is NOT about the style of music, or the drill design, or instrumentation, or rules. The experience is about the ideals instilled in you, the friends/family you made, etc. Too many people lose sight of what's really important in this activity, and focus too much on the wrong things.

• Like 2

This is true, but alumni approval is a vastly over rated thing to an extent, and is more of a self-entitlement thing than anything else. If an alumni is going to stop supporting their organization because of a uniform color/design change, then their priorities are way out of whack anyway. I would guess that with an organization like The Cadets, one that's been around for 3/4's of a century, the ratio between alumni who support the corps because of the great experience it provided them/provides other generations vs the alumni who support the corps only because everything is done exactly how they approve, likely favor alumni A.

The self entitlement many people display in drum corps is sad: the experience is NOT about the style of music, or the drill design, or instrumentation, or rules. The experience is about the ideals instilled in you, the friends/family you made, etc. Too many people lose sight of what's really important in this activity, and focus too much on the wrong things.

But they're PAYING FANS so SURELY corps should cater to THEIR needs because without THEM, DCI will die! :cry:

You're absolutely correct. It's not about the product on the field. And yes, drum corps will survive without the handful of people who are silly enough to think it really is about them.

• Like 1

Didn't read all the comments on here or on the facebook note.

I SUPPORT IT. The worst the can happen is that it fail horribly (which I HIGHLY DOUBT). Will never know if something will work until you try it. I understand the tradition behind the uniform, but the activity if evolving. Brace yourself, Drum Corps will continue to change.

Now if the Cadets announce they'll be stepping off with the left foot, then I would worry.

• Like 1

Didn't read all the comments on here or on the facebook note.

I SUPPORT IT. The worst the can happen is that it fail horribly (which I HIGHLY DOUBT). Will never know if something will work until you try it. I understand the tradition behind the uniform, but the activity if evolving. Brace yourself, Drum Corps will continue to change.

Now if the Cadets announce they'll be stepping off with the left foot, then I would worry.

Ha; for some reason I agree that a change in marching technique is a FAR great tradition change than modifying the uniforms (though I know that most/all of the uniform change griping came before Cadets unveiled their not-that-big uni change).

But I'm pretty sure the right foot step off was Cadets' style far longer than the left foot step off so if Cadets changed stepping off w/the left foot you could say "FINALLY Cadets/Hoppy are going with an old school philosophy" :tongue:

Ha; for some reason I agree that a change in marching technique is a FAR great tradition change than modifying the uniforms (though I know that most/all of the uniform change griping came before Cadets unveiled their not-that-big uni change).

But I'm pretty sure the right foot step off was Cadets' style far longer than the left foot step off so if Cadets changed stepping off w/the left foot you could say "FINALLY Cadets/Hoppy are going with an old school philosophy" :tongue:

the right foot step off was not pre DCI or post for several years...may have happened in the early 80s