So far, I'm not really liking 2011

So far, I'm not really liking DCP.

Was it The Chad...?

• Like 1

Patience young jedi

true I'm not. But with increasing ticket prices and the economy being what it is, fewer are willing to take a chance on the unknown. Do you go see a movie you haven't even seen a commercial for?

DCI is losing fans. A little marketing can help gain some new ones and maybe pull some old ones back.

Show announcments being what they are, they give you almost no real information about what you'll see when the corps takes the field, and given the extreme lack of tendency for drum corps arangements to closely resemble their original pieces I don't know what difference it makes to even know the musical selections. If anything, the most informative thing a corps can do is release some audio clips of the show music (thanks to those who have done this). A decent graphic artist can make a worthless show (concept) look cool on a poster.

• Like 1

Other than one or two shows that have made me raise an eyebrow, I have yet to really see a show that has me wanting to drop $120 for tickets to take my family to see a drum corps show this season. You would figure that since the economy is in the crapper, and because people will be spending less money going to shows, that the designers/corps could figure out a way to market themselves a little better. Wait a minute, this is drum corps, everything has to be dark and evil.

Never mind, carry on.

Freelancers Alums may be at Stockton and one So Cal show this year. Just going with precedence- I know they played both last year. Do you play in their line?

I don't know if Freelancers get the wristbands to get into shows after they perform. This was the case last year for all shows my corps participated in- except, ( I think) Riverside.

But it would seem like a win/win if you get a chance to play Bellavia at intermission with the Alums,- then get into the show after you perform for free....

The shows as you mention might not be your cup of tea..but, hey, if you had a choice to see them for free and you, yourself can perform- you cant lose.

Edited by Dmlkmen

Was it The Chad...?

Well, that's a pretty old quote. Drew Barrymore thinks it was the Chad...

Show announcments being what they are, they give you almost no real information about what you'll see when the corps takes the field, and given the extreme lack of tendency for drum corps arangements to closely resemble their original pieces I don't know what difference it makes to even know the musical selections. If anything, the most informative thing a corps can do is release some audio clips of the show music (thanks to those who have done this). A decent graphic artist can make a worthless show (concept) look cool on a poster.

and I don't disagree. But I know many times BITD I'd see the corps show listed in DCW and go look up stuff I didn't know or get cd's. Now i don't bother because with current arranging trends, i will only hear snippets of it

So far, I'm not really liking DCP.

DCP is a pretty cool place if you can avoid the trolls and the endless Multikey Vs Electronics debates. Sometimes trolls just need to be put in their place though.

As far as information sharing you will find more sharing and stuff going on FB than you will here. Corps directors if you manage to have them on your friends list tend to give better updates on the corps progress during the season and sometimes share tidbits of information that otherwise are not open to public discussion.

Also you will find LOTS of corps videos and music there for sharing purposes. So FB is fast becoming the information highway for corps related stuff.

Other than one or two shows that have made me raise an eyebrow, I have yet to really see a show that has me wanting to drop $120 for tickets to take my family to see a drum corps show this season.

Its still early but I am right there with you to a degree. Other than a few corps announcements I have not seen anything to get terribly excited about. If anything all this bragging about electronics and how some corps are going to test the limits of electronics is really driving me to stay home more than it is getting me off the couch and into the stands.

This whole new generation of cloak and dagger announcements and sharing of information is getting right down boring. Hint to all the corps. We need hype and we need it early. If you want to be mysterious and cloak and dagger...that is totally up to you and your administration. Just don't count on my butt being in the stands unless you get me excited about coming to your show.

Yes. Otherwise, it'd be like deciding if you like a new restaurant or not thats opened up in town, not by dining there, but based upon a brochure you got in the mail. And to keep the analogy going, in this case, the chef hasn't even ordered the groceries yet, let alone hired the waiters, opened the doors, and and sent out the flyers.

If they haven't "hired the waiters" yet, then they're going to be in a world of hurt come June.....