Which corps will be performing non-dark shows this year?

Gaga gets good people to write her songs.

I mostly prefer indie type music, but I can appreciate a catchy dance/pop tune, too.

beneath all the glitz Stefani Germanotta is legitimately talented and i think she actually writes most (all?) of her material. search the tube for vids when she was at NYU.

• Like 3

beneath all the glitz Stefani Germanotta is legitimately talented and i think she actually writes most (all?) of her material. search the tube for vids when she was at NYU.

based on what I've seen, gaga "wrote" some of her songs...just like madonna "wrote" some of her songs.

• Like 1

When does Jazz return to the drum corps activity as a genre??? Is Jazz against the rules now or something???

based on what I've seen, gaga "wrote" some of her songs...just like madonna "wrote" some of her songs.

No, she actually does write her music, both the lyrics and music. That's something you pick up being a scholarship music at the Tisch School of Music. Yeah, she's someone who went to a conservatory, and is actually making legitimate money. :tongue: (the above is complete sarcasm, I'm a music major, I know we don't do it for the money)

• Like 1

When does Jazz return to the drum corps activity as a genre??? Is Jazz against the rules now or something???

lol. Good one.

Oh wait....you're serious...That's just.....sad...

learn2read show announcements

No, she actually does write her music, both the lyrics and music. That's something you pick up being a scholarship music at the Tisch School of Music. Yeah, she's someone who went to a conservatory, and is actually making legitimate money. :tongue: (the above is complete sarcasm, I'm a music major, I know we don't do it for the money)

i'm certainly no expert on gaga but this agrees with what i've seen and heard. nyu is close enough that her stuff was being passed around out east; i saw her stuff well before she was ever gaga...

• Like 3

I'm no Shakespeare expert but maybe the reference was for the audience in order to connect to the emotions that she was experiencing by relating them to the tangible ideas that the phrase "New World" brings. We can thank Huxley for pulling that line and blowing it up!

Huxley is definitely using "New World" ironically. His character, John, is a "Savage" from New Mexico who has read only two books, a technical manual and The Tempest, and he quotes the latter to describe the Old World, specifically England, in its post-Fordian state.

Out of those shows for which we know (mostly) the full program - title and repertoire - my educated guess using my definition of dark would be:

Dark: Bloo (dystopian novel for title), Cascades ("dark" gift), Phantom (I don't know if you've read what happens to Juliet), SCV (...hell), Teal Sound (deadly sins)

Not so dark: Academy, BD, BK, Crown (it might get heavy, but that's not really dark), Cavies, Crossmen, Scouts, Pio, Troopers

Too vague/could go either way: Boston, Cadets, Mandarins, Pacific Crest

I think if people are more careful with how they use "dark" and distinguish it from the quality of a sound being "dark" (which is pretty meaningless), then it's not that confusing or vague. There's a certain margin of opinion around the middle, but most people can agree that Cavies '10 (Mad World) is a dark show and that Scouts '99 (Jesus Christ Superstar) is not a dark show. Both have their relative high and low points of emotional stability and more dissonant harmonies, but overall the feel of the shows is distinguished in a way that is worth recording.

This makes sense to me - I'm down with it.

Mike

lol. Good one.

Oh wait....you're serious...That's just.....sad...

learn2read show announcements

I think he was referring to 90s Crossmen/Madison Scouts type Jazz.. something with a real, unmistakable groove.